So whats next for Kelly?

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming started the topic in Wednesday, 19 Dec 2012 at 8:58pm

Yeah off course i was stoked for Joel, and he deserved a tittle and a pipe win......but

I can't help but wonder what Kelly will do next, what is he now 40 or so and still mixing it up with all the young guns.

Is it better if he quit now while he is still on top or slowly get old and fall away?

I know it was all said this time last year....but i still cat help but wonder.

Off course it doesn't matter what we think, but im torn...one part of me says please quit while your ahead and let it become legend another part of me just wants to see him keep going.

I do feel lucky to have witnessed his dominance though, im sure one day he will be regarded as a true legend like MP and as old farts we will go on to the groms about how he was so far ahead for so long...blah blah blah.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Thursday, 20 Dec 2012 at 8:02am

Who knows what he'll do? After his tenth win there's was a general assumption that he'd hang up his hat, a few mags even ran comprehensive bios documenting his career implying that he was done. There was also a 'will he or won't he' debate being played out on most sites and in most magazines. But come the following February guess who showed up at Snapper and dived straight into the 2011 tour?

Unlike 2010 he's given a few sly clues that he may retire, mentioning how he won't be competing against the new guard of John John, Gabs and Jules for long, although knowing how Kelly rolls it may have been mind games.

Worth noting also that Will Swanton at The Australian ran a bold article a month back stating unequivocally that he will be retiring. After reading the article it was apparent that old Will drew a few long bows as there was no solid evidence or official statement from Slater. I imagine Swanton was hoping other people would get aboard the story yet no-one did.

The other factor is ZoSea Media, the company assuming ASP media rights in 2014 that is run by his manager, Terry Hardy, and another Quiksilver cheese, Paul Speaker. Last week Maurice Cole commented on Swellnet that Slater may stay on tour as a drawcard to attract new sponsors to the sport. He will be 42 when ZoSea take over and yet it is entirely plausible that he could still be a force (would you bet against him?)

As the traditional sponsors hit rough times and pull out new sponsors need to be found, likely from beyond the surf industry and Kelly Slater is the only name that transcends the sport.

floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd Thursday, 20 Dec 2012 at 10:06am

I'm with Maurice Cole, why not ease out by doing a few events over the next year or two. Household name that should attract sponsorship more readily than others.

yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer Thursday, 20 Dec 2012 at 10:38am

Maybe Kelly could take do a Layne Beachley and sponsor or at least co-sponsor his own tour event? It would be a great way to enhance his "brand" and he could have it at the location of his choice. He could enter as a wild card and get some of his money back if he places well. Would be a huge publicity coup for the sport as well as himself?

top-to-bottom-bells's picture
top-to-bottom-bells's picture
top-to-bottom-bells Thursday, 20 Dec 2012 at 11:42am

It'd be a nice gesture but just think of the headline: "Kelly Slater wins the 2018 Kelly Slater Challenge, Again."

Possible Slater overload?

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Saturday, 22 Dec 2012 at 7:22pm

Who knows what he'll do? After his tenth win there's was a general assumption that he'd hang up his hat, a few mags even ran comprehensive bios documenting his career implying that he was done. There was also a 'will he or won't he' debate being played out on most sites and in most magazines. But come the following February guess who showed up at Snapper and dived straight into the 2011 tour?

Unlike 2010 he's given a few sly clues that he may retire, mentioning how he won't be competing against the new guard of John John, Gabs and Jules for long, although knowing how Kelly rolls it may have been mind games.

Worth noting also that Will Swanton at The Australian ran a bold article a month back stating unequivocally that he will be retiring. After reading the article it was apparent that old Will drew a few long bows as there was no solid evidence or official statement from Slater. I imagine Swanton was hoping other people would get aboard the story yet no-one did.

The other factor is ZoSea Media, the company assuming ASP media rights in 2014 that is run by his manager, Terry Hardy, and another Quiksilver cheese, Paul Speaker. Last week Maurice Cole commented on Swellnet that Slater may stay on tour as a drawcard to attract new sponsors to the sport. He will be 42 when ZoSea take over and yet it is entirely plausible that he could still be a force (would you bet against him?)

As the traditional sponsors hit rough times and pull out new sponsors need to be found, likely from beyond the surf industry and Kelly Slater is the only name that transcends the sport.

By: "stunet"

Thanks for reply Stunet, all interesting related info.

It would be interesting to get in the head of ol Slater, i wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't even know whats next, interesting to see what next year brings for him.