Maldives exclusivity situation?

streetdaddy's picture
streetdaddy started the topic in Tuesday, 10 Jun 2014 at 10:35pm

Has anyone been over in the last couple of months since the announcement, and witnessed first-hand what the situation is now? Are boats and non-resort guests able to surf the previously exclusive breaks?

funpeeler's picture
funpeeler's picture
funpeeler Tuesday, 24 Jun 2014 at 7:04pm

Just come back from a week at Kandooma. We paid big bucks for 'exclusivity' at the front break - 'Natives'.

Here is the lowdown direct from the frontline.

Charter boats are turning up all the time and unloading punters. The Perfect Wave surf guide at the resort (Rob) does a heroic job clearing them out of the water but he cant be there all the time.

Meanwhile they just keep coming and trying it on. Liquid Destination even have a Kandooma Session on their public blog!

Its Raffertys Rules and everyone is making up their own script.

I cannot speak for Lohis and Pasta but I expect it might be similar.

baino's picture
baino's picture
baino Tuesday, 24 Jun 2014 at 8:34pm

Hi funpeeler,

I was thinking about going to Kandooma next year, did you book through the perfect wave? Last time I went to Kandooma I booked directly through the resort (it was cheaper than through PW) but now I see their website says if you plan to surf you must book through PW.
It seems a little suss to me, I haven't got quotes yet for next year but I suspect PW will be more expensive.
Cheers

streetdaddy's picture
streetdaddy's picture
streetdaddy Tuesday, 24 Jun 2014 at 8:52pm

Sounds like it's still anyone guess then... Is Kandooma supposed to be exempt from the new laws? As I understood it, no wave is exempt, therefore anyone on any boat is allowed to show up to any waves and surf it.

Appreciate that it sucks for anyone who's paid a premium for exclusivity before the law was introduced, but the death of exclusivity is a win in my books.

coopdawg's picture
coopdawg's picture
coopdawg Wednesday, 25 Jun 2014 at 12:07am

I just came back from a boat trip to the Maldives with world surfaris to the north male atolls.
The breaks out there are open to anyone, except for the breaks that have a resort on them. This means you cant surf Pasta Point and Lohis. It sucks because Lohis left picks up a shit tonne more of the south swell then all the other breaks in the area, plus all the lohis guests go and surf the breaks open to everyone, meaning sultans becomes a zoo.
APPARENTLY next year they are making every break in the male atolls open to everyone.

streetdaddy's picture
streetdaddy's picture
streetdaddy Thursday, 3 Jul 2014 at 6:41pm
coopdawg wrote:

The breaks out there are open to anyone, except for the breaks that have a resort on them.

Must be better than it has been though? I'm going to Cokes, and I'm imagining it used to be a zoo... maybe it still is, I hear the locals love it. just glad I'll be able to sample a bit more than just the few waves around there. thanks for the update :-)