GoPro ad - call Media Watch.

bum-parfum's picture
bum-parfum started the topic in Tuesday, 4 Dec 2012 at 6:27pm

The GoPro ad currently showing on Swellnet is bullshit. The one when the camera goes into the lip and back out again. Nup, sorry, can't happen. That's CGI. Well made and executed but CGI nonetheless. If thats real then my bum smells like parfum.

Shame, GoPro shame!

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Tuesday, 4 Dec 2012 at 7:25pm

Do have to agree doesn't look real, you wouldn't expect it was possible the water flow would send it in the direction of where the lip is hitting.

IMO the whole footage looks fake like its from a computer game, maybe messed with on computer or something.

BTW. I guess the cameras themselves a great, but 90% of the surfing footage shot with them is crap especially if shot mounted on front of board looking back, only good footage i have seen is from guys getting pitted real deep with the camera mounted on there arm shoulder or wrist or helmet.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Tuesday, 4 Dec 2012 at 7:57pm

Snowboarding with a GoPro and following your mates through the trees is awesome though.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Tuesday, 4 Dec 2012 at 8:57pm

Haha, noticed this myself.

If you look at the actual Gopro add here http://gopro.com/ at 1:50s the first guy is pigdogging (natural footer), and then it goes into the lip and comes out and it's a goofy footer.

It looks like it's all been stitched separately but it's still impressive.

I agree with indo-dreaming as well, the best footage is when getting deep in the barrel, the other stuff doesn't do it justice. At least the new version can focus well under water now!

barley's picture
barley's picture
barley Tuesday, 4 Dec 2012 at 9:10pm

Anyone seen Kalani Chapman's Cloudbreak barrel? the best go-pro I've seen!! It's like 20seconds long...FUCK!!

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Tuesday, 4 Dec 2012 at 9:22pm

Yeah, it's just stupid, here it is..

Endless Cloudbreak Barrel with Kalani Chapman

bum-parfum's picture
bum-parfum's picture
bum-parfum Tuesday, 4 Dec 2012 at 9:29pm

^^Woah! That was a solid barrel. SOLID. If times slows down in the barrel then he got spat out the next day.

bum-parfum's picture
bum-parfum's picture
bum-parfum Tuesday, 4 Dec 2012 at 9:32pm

Actually.....if time slows down then he wouldn't come out the next day but rather it'd move the other way on the continuum.

He'd come out younger than when he pulled in.

bum-parfum's picture
bum-parfum's picture
bum-parfum Tuesday, 4 Dec 2012 at 9:33pm

Stephen Hawking are you there??

nat-old's picture
nat-old's picture
nat-old Wednesday, 5 Dec 2012 at 1:29pm

Craig - the older go pro can focus underwater same as the new one, it just needs to be in the flat rectangular port underwater housing which costs about $70. I dunno how Go pro cleans up the footage as it never seems to have water droplets on the port. Yeah tried spit, spud peel, Sea drops, baby shampoo but water drops are just a fact of life I think. These cameras are designed as action cameras for use on the surface or just below. They are not very useful deeper than about 3 metres because they don't have manual white balance which serious underwater video cameras have.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Wednesday, 5 Dec 2012 at 2:02pm

Ah, cheers for clearing that up Nat-old, I had a mate who took it snorkelling with us and it came out all out of focus, must of been the round port.

gannet's picture
gannet's picture
gannet Wednesday, 5 Dec 2012 at 2:10pm

"GoPro : Be A Hero"

Kinda says it all really......