Chi's or Ethels? (yorks)

youngsurfer's picture
youngsurfer started the topic in Friday, 30 Nov 2012 at 12:19pm

What wave would you go if they were both pumping?

whaaaat's picture
whaaaat's picture
whaaaat Friday, 30 Nov 2012 at 12:58pm

If you're new to surfing and still grappling with bottom turns, neither. Go to Richards, Baby Lizards or some other less critical spot, where you are less likely to cop a spray or cause some pain (to either yourself or others).

nathanangelakis's picture
nathanangelakis's picture
nathanangelakis Friday, 30 Nov 2012 at 1:03pm

haha chi's...ethels is scary as shit. but they're both excellent waves

shralpz's picture
shralpz's picture
shralpz Friday, 30 Nov 2012 at 1:21pm

it's unlikely they'll both be pumping on the same day but Chi's is by far the better wave. Don't hesitate, don't pull back, yeww!

funpeeler's picture
funpeeler's picture
funpeeler Friday, 30 Nov 2012 at 2:15pm

Or got to Mysto's if you want a left

youngsurfer's picture
youngsurfer's picture
youngsurfer Friday, 30 Nov 2012 at 9:56pm

i know i was just making a topic cause i was bored, haha

mundies's picture
mundies's picture
mundies Saturday, 1 Dec 2012 at 11:48pm

no brainer - Chi's is the wave. Chi's sucks.

shralpz's picture
shralpz's picture
shralpz Monday, 3 Dec 2012 at 11:53am

and you don't want to be 'caught outside' at Ethels when the new 6-8' chi's swell hits

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Monday, 3 Dec 2012 at 6:10pm

Anyone surf Baby Chis? What a hoax of a wave!

old-dog's picture
old-dog's picture
old-dog Monday, 3 Dec 2012 at 6:44pm

I have never seen Chis spit like the Ledge does,Ethels is a much bigger wider heavier barrel but is way more fickle,not many crew around with big enough figs to take it on over 6ft.Remember those shots of it in Surfing Life a few years back ? made Chis look like kiddies corner,pros shacked off their nuts standing bolt upright with arms above their heads,I remember Squizzy said he just watched in awe and it was out of his league which says a lot coming from THE MAN himself who calls maxing out Chis about 5ft. it is a rarity but it happens.I would go Chis as I would probably drown at the Ledge.

spunjah's picture
spunjah's picture
spunjah Monday, 3 Dec 2012 at 6:59pm

baby chis goes off! it's a killa wave when it's on and chis is maxing out

mundies's picture
mundies's picture
mundies Tuesday, 4 Dec 2012 at 9:25am

I recall surfing proper 6-8 foot chis with Sean G on my sister's birthday in May probably about 1992 breaking right out on the outside boil. Sean said at the time he had hardly ever seen it break like this at that size, perfect wind and swell direction / period. Scary good.

mothart's picture
mothart's picture
mothart Thursday, 6 Dec 2012 at 11:07am

Both top quality waves on their day. There was a time when chis would have got my vote, but deathels gets my vote these days. I did enjoy both waves more without the pretty stairs, but I do understand it's necessary with the amount of traffic. Hope there's a wave at chis today with the northerly.

jamesony's picture
jamesony's picture
jamesony Thursday, 6 Dec 2012 at 2:01pm

Take it one step further and head over to Cactus.

mothart's picture
mothart's picture
mothart Thursday, 6 Dec 2012 at 8:06pm

Haven't been looking at the forecasts with that eairler call, but with this glass off, maybe an all-time evening at the ledge..?

yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer Thursday, 6 Dec 2012 at 11:24pm

One good thing is they work in different seasons so there is always a chance of a slab in summer or winter.
Both are known as lefthanders but the rights are filth too.
And even though Ethels is considered more tubular big Chinamans seriously holds you down longer, even two wave hold downs are not uncommon.
Ethel's just slams you harder but you seem to come up quicker from my experience.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Friday, 7 Dec 2012 at 7:01am

Chi's is scary once pushing above 5ft. As you said yorkessurfer, the hold downs and fear of getting caught in one of the nooks/caves is terrifying.

Worst feeling is getting caught inside as a backless double up focusses all its energy right towards you. There's nothing you can do except prepare yourself for a solid beating, definitely a spooky wave.

barley's picture
barley's picture
barley Friday, 7 Dec 2012 at 7:28am

They are both shit...wouldnt waste my time surfing either of them. Tickera is heaps better. please end this thread

victor's picture
victor's picture
victor Friday, 7 Dec 2012 at 8:51am

i wish owen would of had a dig at the ledge while he was alive he would of charged it as did at big chi's - im sure old dog would agree. watched it break at difference sizes and swell angles through the seventies,dont recall any one having a go. were the lids the first to surf it ? maybe rodger the dodger may have surfed it ? rodger and foxy broadbent surfed chi's one 6-10ft day with a howling norwester, fine performance....very heavy waves.

mundies's picture
mundies's picture
mundies Friday, 7 Dec 2012 at 9:22pm

Yorkesurfer I agree. I've been shoved into a cave in the reef out at Chi's before with a two wave hold down but popped out quickly after the second with only my leggie caught. Scary but not too dangerous as I could see the light of the surface and at that stage had a great set of lungs courtesy of surfing, endurance running and young clubbies. Also landed on the pinnacle on the inside ledge first time I surfed it as a grom probably about '87 and hammered my coccyx, sore for a year. Only started seeing a chiro this year who discovered I had a L5/S1 spondylosis (fracture where one vertebra is pushed forward on top of the other) probably from this fall - no acute probs just compensatory stuff that comes up when you are a bit older. Just tried to post an old grainy pic from that day I referred to earlier which was 24 May 94 (taken by PD's wife at the time), but no joy. I recall there is a knack to posting pictures on this forum but cant be arsed digging up the details from threads months ago. Moderator - if you wanna post how to do this again? Otherwise perhaps upgrading to make it a simple file attachment would be great.
Some of my good mates had a low key bucks weekend at MB last weekend at a mates shack near the jetty, scored a 5m swell apparently and had all the usual suspects for that type of swell on, firing and uncrowded from what I hear although I think they timed it well as they are shit at getting up early.
One more point to this ramble. Yorkessurfer there are rights at both spots but unless you pick the good ones and make em cleanly you are fucked. The rights take you into a ledgey closed in section of reef at both spots and even straightening out rather than hopping off the back before they shut down can be dangerous at a bit of size. If the only option at either spot was the right as they break now there'd be way less participants...

mundies's picture
mundies's picture
mundies Friday, 7 Dec 2012 at 10:14pm

mundies's picture
mundies's picture
mundies Friday, 7 Dec 2012 at 10:18pm

There ya go - chis 24 May 94