Shark Stories

yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer started the topic in Monday, 29 Oct 2012 at 12:11am

A few interesting stories on shark attacks and near misses on the Shark Shield report so I thought I would start this thread. Don't want to trivialize the subject as people have had their lives taken or changed forever by what can happen. I thought it might serve as an educational purpose by hearing others experiences so we may all learn from them and hopefully avoid it happening to us.

One of them was a mate of mine named Hazey.
He had been surfing at Castles, a notoriously sharky wave in the bay at Cactus.
Several hundred metres offshore the wave breaks before reforming into Inside Castles making a long left with several sections. The wave has been the scene of several attacks and near misses over the years including the local known as "Sharkbait" who had been attacked more than once.
Gerry Lopez is another who came very close to being attacked out there and vowed to never surf Cactus again after his near miss.
Well Hazey was surfing out the back with another bloke named Steve when out of the blue he was launched into the air still on his board by a huge force from below.
A shark had rammed him with a direct hit straight up into the air! In a moment it was gone but soon returned to the stunned Hazey and started biting him and his board. Hazey instinctively put his arms out to protect himself but both his arms ended up in its mouth. As the jaws closed down his arms could have easily been severed, but several teeth on the sharks lower jaw had become dislodged and imbedded in the board leaving his upper arms with massive injuries, but the vital inner arms where major arteries run were not majorly damaged. This probably saved his life.
By this time Steve had reacted and in a rush of adrenalin and pure ballsy courage he threw himself onto the sharks back and started gouging at the sharks eyeballs, eventually feeling one pop and the shark departed.
Steve got the two surfboards together and got himself and Hazey on and started the long paddle to shore.
Then they were both thrown into the air as the shark rammed them a third time before disappearing again. They continued to make their way closer to shore and the shark nudged them again. Steve told me he thought he really must of pissed it off when he popped its eye.
Finally they we're just a metre from shore when the shark made its fifth and final appearance. It beelined towards them and the shore while they stood in waist deep water with their boards. The sharks mouth was just rapidly opening and closing like one of those wind up sets of false teeth. The boys separated and put their hands on either side of it's body and held it on a 90 degree angle to the beach as they made the final steps to the safety of the sand.
Hazey was rushed to Ceduna hospital and then flown to Adelaide for micro surgery on his shredded arms.
Steve ended up receiving a bravery award and they both sold their story to 60 minutes and made $50,000 each out of it!
It was quite a story!

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Sunday, 16 Jul 2023 at 7:42am
andy-mac wrote:
Supafreak wrote:

This is incredible footage of a great white at JBay a few hours ago . https://youtu.be/-bcWYPO9Tsw gets interesting at the 4.20 minutes mark

IMG-4934
square mouth
Incredible footage...

southernraw's picture
southernraw's picture
southernraw Sunday, 16 Jul 2023 at 1:16pm

In that footage when it follows that dude in close to the shallows, it almost looks like it is giving chase as he paddles away, but as soon as he stops and his eyes turn towards it, the shark quickly turns away. Another win for SharkEyes? I just got a set on my main board i surf when a fair way off shore.
Doesn't make me feel any safer but never know i guess.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Sunday, 16 Jul 2023 at 1:36pm

First time I paddled out with large shark eyes sticker , two dolphins surfaced next to me just as I sat up on my board. Heart skipped a beat and I was thinking later, did they see the eyes and came to check out what I was ?

southernraw's picture
southernraw's picture
southernraw Sunday, 16 Jul 2023 at 1:54pm

haha. Classic, because same thing happened to me this morning!!
Well, i guess you could say they are effective...for attracting dolphins. Sweeeet!

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Sunday, 16 Jul 2023 at 2:11pm

Yeah wow that footage, note at 4.20 it positions itself between him and shore. Fisho bro showed me how the killer whale mum was teaching young one to do same with that NZ swimmer in the footage a couple of years back.

Follows the guy with red on his wettie, comes in behind him too...

they also seem to swim up the point rather than down it every time I see a vid

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Sunday, 16 Jul 2023 at 2:38pm
southernraw's picture
southernraw's picture
southernraw Sunday, 16 Jul 2023 at 9:12pm
Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68 Monday, 24 Jul 2023 at 1:32pm

Boatramp. 20mins into the 8:00am reply. Just as a swell passes then major thrashing.

lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy Monday, 24 Jul 2023 at 1:35pm

Hectic.
Did well to paddle in in that footage.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Monday, 24 Jul 2023 at 1:35pm

Shit, man that's a big attack!

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Monday, 24 Jul 2023 at 1:35pm

Ocean also goes flat on em! Oh man, terrifying.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Monday, 24 Jul 2023 at 2:12pm

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Friday, 28 Jul 2023 at 4:12pm
Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater Friday, 28 Jul 2023 at 7:52pm

https://m.

tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter Friday, 28 Jul 2023 at 8:25pm

I was talking to a mate last week about the Gold Coast trawler 'C-Titan' that sank a few months ago.
I didn't see the news clips at the time, but it's claimed the vessel was sunk by a large shark, after it smashed a shark bar on the nozzle surrounding the prop. I'm assuming the prop then sent the bar through the hull.

Wouldn't like to be in those waters after that.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Sunday, 13 Aug 2023 at 2:19pm
udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Monday, 14 Aug 2023 at 7:13pm
seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Tuesday, 15 Aug 2023 at 9:39pm
basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Monday, 2 Oct 2023 at 10:02am
southernraw's picture
southernraw's picture
southernraw Monday, 2 Oct 2023 at 10:19am
basesix wrote:

first quolls, now this..
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-10-02/reported-shark-attack-at-beachpor...
would have been one of the 'urchins and slugs' morning swimmers:
https://borderwatch.com.au/news/2022/01/09/urchins-and-slugs-swim-year-r...

haha that's gold. Good on them. Nothing much more invigorating than an early morning swim.
Geez that's a couple of attacks down that way in the last few years.
It's another area that used to be off the radar re. attacks. No mention of what type of shark it was.

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Monday, 2 Oct 2023 at 2:42pm

wow, it was actually Pam Cook from the above 'urchins' article who was attacked..
wishing her and her family (and the morning swimmers and council workers who helped her) all the best, what a horrible and unexpected thing in Beachport.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Monday, 2 Oct 2023 at 2:51pm

Dorsalwatch :
A woman has been bitten on the leg by a shark while she was taking part in an early morning group swim. The incident took place near the Beachport Jetty, where emergency services were called about 7:45am. She was helped out of the water and given first aid by other swimmers and nearby workers until paramedics arrived. It is understood the victim was one of about a dozen members of local swimming group, Beachport Sea Urchins and Slugs, taking part in an early morning swim. She has since been taken to the Mount Gambier hospital and is in a stable condition. Nearby worker Greg Rae rushed to the woman's aid by applying a tourniquet to her leg. "We heard the lady calling out for help. There was a couple of ladies running in and they were covered in a bit of blood and they mentioned a shark attack," he said. "We immediately just jumped in, went and grabbed our trauma gear and first aid equipment and then responded. "I was the one who grabbed the gear, ran out, quite far out on the jetty — probably a couple of hundred metres." He said the woman had multiple wounds to her thigh and a cut on her hand. "The shark attacked her foot first and then … had another go, and that's where the big laceration was," he said. "A couple of ladies were trying to apply pressure to the main wound — she had a couple of wounds that we needed to treat." Mr Rae said the woman was clearly in shock. "We also controlled the bleeding with a tourniquet initially," he said. "We stabilised her and then put her on the gurney and got her away in the [ambulance]. "The big concern for me at the time was shock, so just keeping her talking and keeping her assured she's OK and we've got ambos coming." It is not clear exactly what type of shark was involved, but fishers and other community members with boats have gone out into the bay to look for the animal.

southernraw's picture
southernraw's picture
southernraw Monday, 2 Oct 2023 at 3:15pm

Yeah sounds heavy. Wishing a speedy recovery to the poor lady. Must have been terrifying.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Monday, 2 Oct 2023 at 9:17pm

?si=VI5mJJa_e4T5kOCG

wax24's picture
wax24's picture
wax24 Tuesday, 3 Oct 2023 at 7:09am

Hey crew. I wanna first say that i have read about Ms. Cook down y’all’s way and i am hoping she comes through well. She’ll be in my thoughts.
We had a fatal attack up my way yesterday. That would be just south of Point Reyes here in NorCal. I found out about it shortly after i got off work. Went out for a surf and guys were talkin. It happened about 10 miles south of my sesh. I felt uneasy and cut it a bit short.
While attacks here happen, they are not fatal, typically.
This was a swimmer at a remote beach that ya need to backpack to. The victim was 50 yrs old and a member of a wedding party. They watched it happen. I don’t know his name at this time.
It happened at a spot where locals would not enter the water.
Not just the danger of sharks (GWS around here,) but rip currents, drop offs… just a dangerous patch to enter.
The victim, being in a party as he was, might not have known that.
It’s hitting hard and i’m glad i got wet today, but glad i’m dry now.
I never post here off work.
Today i needed to.
I was gonna take a coupla days away from it before i heard about the attack. (And these are attacks. not encounters. not whatever other word someone might use to advocate for the shark.)
Now i am heavily leaning towards getting out there tmro.
I’m considering heading a bit further south than normal.
To be in the same waters.
To shake the uneasiness i feel today.
I dunno what i’ll do tmro.
I am not trying to make a point. I am trying to work through this.
Thanx to any who read this long post.
P. S… google Point Reyes. It is singularly beautiful. You folks have many slots that are singularly beautiful. This is like that.

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Tuesday, 3 Oct 2023 at 9:04am
wax24 wrote:

Hey crew. I wanna first say that i have read about Ms. Cook down y’all’s way and i am hoping she comes through well. She’ll be in my thoughts.
We had a fatal attack up my way yesterday. That would be just south of Point Reyes here in NorCal. I found out about it shortly after i got off work. Went out for a surf and guys were talkin. It happened about 10 miles south of my sesh. I felt uneasy and cut it a bit short.
While attacks here happen, they are not fatal, typically.
This was a swimmer at a remote beach that ya need to backpack to. The victim was 50 yrs old and a member of a wedding party. They watched it happen. I don’t know his name at this time.
It happened at a spot where locals would not enter the water.
Not just the danger of sharks (GWS around here,) but rip currents, drop offs… just a dangerous patch to enter.
The victim, being in a party as he was, might not have known that.
It’s hitting hard and i’m glad i got wet today, but glad i’m dry now.
I never post here off work.
Today i needed to.
I was gonna take a coupla days away from it before i heard about the attack. (And these are attacks. not encounters. not whatever other word someone might use to advocate for the shark.)
Now i am heavily leaning towards getting out there tmro.
I’m considering heading a bit further south than normal.
To be in the same waters.
To shake the uneasiness i feel today.
I dunno what i’ll do tmro.
I am not trying to make a point. I am trying to work through this.
Thanx to any who read this long post.
P. S… google Point Reyes. It is singularly beautiful. You folks have many slots that are singularly beautiful. This is like that.

Wax24. Hope you are well. Thanks for the post.
Recurring theme re attacks in your part of the world and similarly here.
Sadly, solo surfers or swimmers being ambushed regularly.
Alas, we do play in an Octopuses Garden , thats the risk. AW

wax24's picture
wax24's picture
wax24 Wednesday, 4 Oct 2023 at 12:54am

Thanx AW.................. we do play there, yeah. I was filtering through emotion, thinking about goin out today. Once intellect was allowed to enter, i decided to just go home after work.
They aren't gonna find this guy's remains.

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Wednesday, 4 Oct 2023 at 9:05am
wax24 wrote:

Thanx AW.................. we do play there, yeah. I was filtering through emotion, thinking about goin out today. Once intellect was allowed to enter, i decided to just go home after work.
They aren't gonna find this guy's remains.

Wax24. Hi mate. Hope you are doing ok, your first post, you seemed a little rattled which is normal, natural human behaviour, you go into personal survival mode, questioning your own decision making, but ultimately it sounds like you know the ocean and its occupants well.
On a brighter note from South Australia, Ms. Pam Cook who was bitten badly has shown big improvements in her health over the last couple of days, she will be fine.
Take care, all the best. AW

truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher Wednesday, 4 Oct 2023 at 9:15pm

Joining the crew in wishing the lady well & salute all rescuers & miracle workers.

Only natural to focus on Shark Behaviour...tbb has done much of that of late.
However this incident billboards endless Human Factors.

This incident would not happen at most Oz Jetties with restrictive policed mandates.
tbb can speak from experience...been sworn & yelled at, attacked & ordered to cease Surfing at Jetties.

Tourists tribute Heritage Jetties but seldom bother to protect their more vital natural heritage worth.
To engage in Yesteryear habitat is deemed well outta order in modern cities...it's unlawful!

Oz ocean access, heritage Jetties were battered about & are deemed too expensive to maintain.
Any iconic Jetties remaining are repurposed in sheltered tidal flats
Any remaining Relics were pensioned off > Shortened or customized to suit Private buyers / owners.

*Extended Mining Jetties = Strictly no access to Rec Boating / Swimming

*Private Heritage [i] Jetties - Licensed / Resorts = [ Supply Drops Only ] No Rec Boating / No Jumping...
Private Jetties Promo "Protected" Swim Events + Shark / Stinger netted Swim Perimeters
Private Jetties may offer Fishing (No gutting / Scaling) further afar from netted Swim zones.
https://www.busseltonjetty.com.au/deep-sea-pool/

*Govt owned ocean Jetties strictly mandate ZERO tolerance to mixed use!
(Boating Taxes) Offer free Flat water > Marina Type Deck Height access
(Cruise Leases) Marinelife / Fish -Whale Charter Tours access points.
(Fees) Jetties : Strictly Fishing / Viewing > No Swimming / Diving (Surfers are warded off by Fishos)
(Suicide Watch) Ocean Jetties as end of life icons alongside Waterfalls / Bridges / Trainlines!

SA Govt is unique in preserving epic free open ocean shared access mixed species use Jetties!
With less Worldly free storm berth Jetties > SA hubs invite more exotic ballast resource to the Bay
Only natural that over time such heritage Jetties dominate as the heartbeat of diverse Bay life.
https://www.alamy.com/the-industral-features-on-the-beachport-jetty-in-b...

As such come Harvest Moon start of Ocean Season comes alive like no other mankind construct.
Naturally as all let their hair down > Normal rules no longer apply!
Laws of Nature apply...each and every action responds an equally natural reaction.
An accident waiting to happen...pick any number of Risk scenarios...Beachport are riding their luck!

[ Blessing of The Fleet ] Annual Beachport Harvest Moon Jetty Worship.
More affectionately titled { Young Lions Holy Donut Leap of Faith into the God Squad Toxic Wake Pool }
https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=1784822528640266&set=g.304767501100956

Background ...
Threepeat Stormy Shoreline is now basking a nutrient rich new world of El Nino gilded shoreline.
Harvest Moon tides rare abundant local wildlife to the shore...
Rabid Wombat, Quolls in potholes, Leapin' Lizards, Beached Brown Snakes & perhaps a GWS.
Totally wild Spring collection are clashing to compete for same increasingly exposed precious resource!

Beachport's budding photographers paint mankind's extra lush shore > Mid jetty as wildlife epicentre!
Beachport Wildlife Jetty pens in critters like a caged trap with little to no escape...like a natural zoo!
Also note that over past year the Town has uprooted & rebuilt 75% of 100 yrs of Jetty.
Not seldom said...equally obliterating an even more majestic heritage Bio-diverse Habitat.
https://dit.sa.gov.au/infrastructure/marine_and_bridges_projects/beachpo...

Beachport Community welcome all to engage in the Town's Long Weekend Orchestration of Zoology!
Town timeline promises How / Where / When & Why totally wild events played out the way they did!
Noticeboard
https://www.facebook.com/groups/beachport
Photos
https://www.facebook.com/groups/beachport/media

Tides : Assuming crew can easily access back dates...
In short the Harvest Moon low tides drained the already shallow Bay @ Swim Groups - Shark time

Fri/Sat/Sun/Mon Harvest Moon > Low breakie Tides over Long Weekend > EST (Switch) DST

Sat (Town Hero in AFL Final Celebrations) > [Blessing of The Fleet] was Postponed to Sunday arvo

Any swims up to this point face unknown risk of New Jetty design meeting Harvest Moon Low water!
To the naked eye > The Old & New Jetties look as a straight rip...far from it...
From wildlife perspective there are many thru-fare Bay access / keep issues for differing tides.
Meaning : A natural shift in Wildlife of largest 75% scale in modern era is already massive anomaly.
Tip! If the jetty is worth Heritage Listing the why not the more precious Heritage Jetty Ecosystem...Huh!
Were there any Marine life counts or re allocation of Wildlife as Land Sharks must do by law...
Hard to fathom a complete wipeout of Bay life...but this would come close with 75% Jetty eviction!
The loss of Seaweed habitat is obvious...in endangered habitats this may warrant more focus.

3pm Sunday Arvo [Blessing of The Fleet]
SA / Beachport Jetty Laws : Authorised Vehicle speeds 10kms > Boats 4kts > [No Jumping]
https://dynamic-media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-o/17/e2/32/6b/beac...

Given massive Jetty upheaval & Tides...would be wise to at least nod to Oz slackest Jetty Rules.

3:pm Sunday [Blessing of the Fleet] God Squad breach all rules...
The devil worshipers sacrifice 6 Gromz by goading them to jump for the Holy Donut.
https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=10225128288338955&set=pcb.846084146...

God Squad Jet Pilot fly-past, wake surf'd the dodgy Jetty into hyper orbit...poor critters had no chance!
https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=10225127751045523&set=g.30476750110...
https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=10225127749365481&set=g.30476750110...
https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=10225127842967821&set=g.30476750110...
Note larger Inbound swells naturally break inshore afar from opposite southern side of Jetty...
Preachers ungodly reverse outbound northern wave break reverses Huey's natural order!

The God Squad heavily silts the peak Marinelife Zone into a set'n'forget Giant washing machine .
https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=10225127748605462&set=g.30476750110...
Any hope of critters escaping was blocked off by southside dingy fleet.
https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=10225127720484759&set=g.30476750110...

Monday footage shows dislodged large seaweed clumps...likely with attached critter eggs.
Bulk upended seabed Dusky Flatheads / Rays would scurry & be easy game...attracting larger Sharks.

Pause : Largest disruption to Jetty Sealife ever > Harvest Moon Fishing Season > Record Wake wash.
Largest seabed upheaval in central bay wildlife habitat at lowest tides to compromise visibility / space.

(Note) Oz Ocean / Jetty Swimmers are supervised + enter / exist at Patrolled / Safe assist Zones.

Beachport swimmers are already at risk by exiting furthest from any near shore Safety assist Zone.
Unlikely informed of additional increased peak wildlife desecration between last swim at exit point.

A few things culminate even further upon ramped Harvest Tidal Nature + Jumpers + Boating Wash.

We know the swimmer goes without Wettie & is shorter with reasonable mid range toned legs.
With silted water such legs confuse in every way with local still upset fleeing Dusky Flatheads
Local Dusky Flatheads frequent either hour @ low tide.
GWS in least ever depth of silted crawl space would easily confuse Dusky Flatheads with arms / legs.
Reminding Juvenile GWS scoop 20% of diet with seabed Flatties.
(SA vid best exhibits an open look at Harvest Moon Shallow Tides / Size / Time / Tone / Place!)

Can't rule out abundant local 4-6ft larger School Sharks as the Attacker less so odd shaped prey.
Fisho used to catch a dozen off Jetty > (1 crew hauls) 100 in the bay > 300 offshore/day >20,000/yr

Reports say Main Swim group exited 30mins prior...perhaps further silting already chalky water.
Victim was believed to be last to reach dodgy makeshift crawl space exit to then climb the ladder.
Thinking swimmer needs to feel one leg at ladder...the other counters as a lone horizontal blur.
Same size / tone / shape leg/s as local Dusky Flathead with no wettie > Swimmers thigh was flapping!
Also all the many photos show same swimmer in swimwear with bare exposed toned legs...

Local vids & comment share that Sun' Gromz (Group) + Mon' Swim (Group) Left unharmed.
None saw the shark...
As with Boats...Each racing as a group > also silting Prime impact zone.
This crowded racing action possibly deterred or detoured or even retreated the visiting Shark!
Kinda like a temporary super noisy dirty water shadowy walled in Shark Deterrent.
Consider Sunday's walled in Boating antics...shark likely hung where it was free to move / hunt.

Only as water cleared enough was a separate attack mounted on Local Dusky Flathead Like Prey!
Series of bites tested the swimmer's foot > leg > Thigh > arm...(Shark backed off!)
As water settled > Possibly continued this low tide crawl space hunting on muddled prey.

Sure...Shark may have been gauging leg bites to remove a certain tooth but in part silted water!
Possibly rings true with the amount of obscured Jetty Maze getting in the way of a feed...Ouch!

All groups must answer themselves & whole as to how the long weekend escalated unnecessary risk.
By all means...Oz water lovers would join town to preserve Heritage freedoms.
If town applied modest Group / Event Safety for Heritage Jetty...a tragic outcome is far less likely!

Recapping that strictest Jetty Laws don't prevent Suicides or Bloody Idiots.
tbb shares from personal experience... this near fatal incident is near impossible at most Oz Jetties.
Mostly as Authorities are ordered to pounce & kill ya before any shark could circle!
Happy to share observations...meaning no disrespect to local ways...just sharing Oz Wide practice!
Can't apologize for long review as many events centralized at Beachport Jetty over long weekend.
Crew thanx Beachport Community for inviting us to share their world of wonder...good health to all!

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Wednesday, 4 Oct 2023 at 9:49pm
truebluebasher wrote:

Joining the crew in wishing the lady well & salute all rescuers & miracle workers.

Only natural to focus on Shark Behaviour...tbb has done much of that of late.
However this incident billboards endless Human Factors.

This incident would not happen at most Oz Jetties with restrictive policed mandates.
tbb can speak from experience...been sworn & yelled at, attacked & ordered to cease Surfing at Jetties.

Tourists tribute Heritage Jetties but seldom bother to protect their more vital natural heritage worth.
To engage in Yesteryear habitat is deemed well outta order in modern cities...it's unlawful!

Oz ocean access, heritage Jetties were battered about & are deemed too expensive to maintain.
Any iconic Jetties remaining are repurposed in sheltered tidal flats
Any remaining Relics were pensioned off > Shortened or customized to suit Private buyers / owners.

*Extended Mining Jetties = Strictly no access to Rec Boating / Swimming

*Private Heritage [i] Jetties - Licensed / Resorts = [ Supply Drops Only ] No Rec Boating / No Jumping...
Private Jetties Promo "Protected" Swim Events + Shark / Stinger netted Swim Perimeters
Private Jetties may offer Fishing (No gutting / Scaling) further afar from netted Swim zones.
https://www.busseltonjetty.com.au/deep-sea-pool/

*Govt owned ocean Jetties strictly mandate ZERO tolerance to mixed use!
(Boating Taxes) Offer free Flat water > Marina Type Deck Height access
(Cruise Leases) Marinelife / Fish -Whale Charter Tours access points.
(Fees) Jetties : Strictly Fishing / Viewing > No Swimming / Diving (Surfers are warded off by Fishos)
(Suicide Watch) Ocean Jetties as end of life icons alongside Waterfalls / Bridges / Trainlines!

SA Govt is unique in preserving epic free open ocean shared access mixed species use Jetties!
With less Worldly free storm berth Jetties > SA hubs invite more exotic ballast resource to the Bay
Only natural that over time such heritage Jetties dominate as the heartbeat of diverse Bay life.
https://www.alamy.com/the-industral-features-on-the-beachport-jetty-in-b...

As such come Harvest Moon start of Ocean Season comes alive like no other mankind construct.
Naturally as all let their hair down > Normal rules no longer apply!
Laws of Nature apply...each and every action responds an equally natural reaction.
An accident waiting to happen...pick any number of Risk scenarios...Beachport are riding their luck!

[ Blessing of The Fleet ] Annual Beachport Harvest Moon Jetty Worship.
More affectionately titled { Young Lions Holy Donut Leap of Faith into the God Squad Toxic Wake Pool }

Background ...
Threepeat Stormy Shoreline is now basking a nutrient rich new world of El Nino gilded shoreline.
Harvest Moon tides rare abundant local wildlife to the shore...
Rabid Wombat, Quolls in potholes, Leapin' Lizards, Beached Brown Snakes & perhaps a GWS.
Totally wild Spring collection are clashing to compete for same increasingly exposed precious resource!

Beachport's budding photographers paint mankind's extra lush shore > Mid jetty as wildlife epicentre!
Beachport Wildlife Jetty pens in critters like a caged trap with little to no escape...like a natural zoo!
Also note that over past year the Town has uprooted & rebuilt 75% of 100 yrs of Jetty.
Not seldom said...equally obliterating an even more majestic heritage Bio-diverse Habitat.

Beachport Community welcome all to engage in the Town's Long Weekend Orchestration of Zoology!
Town timeline promises How / Where / When & Why totally wild events played out the way they did!
Noticeboard
https://www.facebook.com/groups/beachport
Photos
https://www.facebook.com/groups/beachport/media

Tides : Assuming crew can easily access back dates...
In short the Harvest Moon low tides drained the already shallow Bay @ Swim Groups - Shark time

Fri/Sat/Sun/Mon Harvest Moon > Low breakie Tides over Long Weekend > EST (Switch) DST

Sat (Town Hero in AFL Final Celebrations) > [Blessing of The Fleet] was Postponed to Sunday arvo

Any swims up to this point face unknown risk of New Jetty design meeting Harvest Moon Low water!
To the naked eye > The Old & New Jetties look as a straight rip...far from it...
From wildlife perspective there are many thru-fare Bay access / keep issues for differing tides.
Meaning : A natural shift in Wildlife of largest 75% scale in modern era is already massive anomaly.
Tip! If the jetty is worth Heritage Listing the why not the more precious Heritage Jetty Ecosystem...Huh!
Were there any Marine life counts or re allocation of Wildlife as Land Sharks must do by law...
Hard to fathom a complete wipeout of Bay life...but this would come close with 75% Jetty eviction!
The loss of Seaweed habitat is obvious...in endangered habitats this may warrant more focus.

3pm Sunday Arvo [Blessing of The Fleet]
SA / Beachport Jetty Laws : Authorised Vehicle speeds 10kms > Boats 4kts > [No Jumping]
https://dynamic-media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-o/17/e2/32/6b/beac...

Given massive Jetty upheaval & Tides...would be wise to at least nod to Oz slackest Jetty Rules.

3:pm Sunday [Blessing of the Fleet] God Squad breach all rules...
The devil worshipers sacrifice 6 Gromz by goading them to jump for the Holy Donut.
https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=10225128288338955&set=pcb.846084146...

God Squad Jet Pilot fly-past, wake surf'd the dodgy Jetty into hyper orbit...poor critters had no chance!
https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=10225127749365481&set=g.30476750110...
https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=10225127842967821&set=g.30476750110...
Note larger Inbound swells naturally break inshore afar from opposite southern side of Jetty...
Preachers ungodly reverse outbound northern wave break reverses Huey's natural order!

The God Squad heavily silts the peak Marinelife Zone into a set'n'forget Giant washing machine .
https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=10225127748605462&set=g.30476750110...
Any hope of critters escaping was blocked off by southside dingy fleet.
https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=10225127720484759&set=g.30476750110...

Monday footage shows dislodged large seaweed clumps...likely with attached critter eggs.
Bulk upended seabed Dusky Flatheads / Rays would scurry & be easy game...attracting larger Sharks.

Pause : Largest disruption to Jetty Sealife ever > Harvest Moon Fishing Season > Record Wake wash.
Largest seabed upheaval in central bay wildlife habitat at lowest tides to compromise visibility / space.

(Note) Oz Ocean / Jetty Swimmers are supervised + enter / exist at Patrolled / Safe assist Zones.

Beachport swimmers are already at risk by exiting furthest from any near shore Safety assist Zone.
Unlikely informed of additional increased peak wildlife desecration between last swim at exit point.

A few things culminate even further upon ramped Harvest Tidal Nature + Jumpers + Boating Wash.

We know the swimmer goes without Wettie & is shorter with reasonable mid range toned legs.
With silted water such legs confuse in every way with local still upset fleeing Dusky Flatheads
Local Dusky Flatheads frequent either hour @ low tide.
GWS in least ever depth of silted crawl space would easily confuse Dusky Flatheads with arms / legs.
Reminding Juvenile GWS scoop 20% of diet with seabed Flatties.
(SA vid best exhibits an open look at Harvest Moon Shallow Tides / Size / Time / Tone / Place!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xYusTPSUs4

Can't rule out abundant local 4-6ft larger School Sharks as the Attacker less so odd shaped prey.
Fisho used to catch a dozen off Jetty > (1 crew hauls) 100 in the bay > 300 offshore/day >20,000/yr

Reports say Main Swim group exited 30mins prior...perhaps further silting already chalky water.
Victim was believed to be last to reach dodgy makeshift crawl space exit to then climb the ladder.
Thinking swimmer needs to feel one leg at ladder...the other counters as a lone horizontal blur.
Same size / tone / shape leg/s as local Dusky Flathead with no wettie > Swimmers thigh was flapping!
Also all the many photos show same swimmer in swimwear with bare exposed toned legs...

Local vids & comment share that Sun' Gromz (Group) + Mon' Swim (Group) Left unharmed.
None saw the shark...
As with Boats...Each racing as a group > also silting Prime impact zone.
This crowded racing action possibly deterred or detoured or even retreated the visiting Shark!
Kinda like a temporary super noisy dirty water shadowy walled in Shark Deterrent.
Consider Sunday's walled in Boating antics...shark likely hung where it was free to move / hunt.

Only as water cleared enough was a separate attack mounted on Local Dusky Flathead Like Prey!
Series of bites tested the swimmer's foot > leg > Thigh > arm...(Shark backed off!)
As water settled > Possibly continued this low tide crawl space hunting on muddled prey.

Sure...Shark may have been gauging leg bites to remove a certain tooth but in part silted water!
Possibly rings true with the amount of obscured Jetty Maze getting in the way of a feed...Ouch!

All groups must answer themselves & whole as to how the long weekend escalated unnecessary risk.
By all means...Oz water lovers would join town to preserve Heritage freedoms.
If town applied modest Group / Event Safety for Heritage Jetty...a tragic outcome is far less likely!

Recapping that strictest Jetty Laws don't prevent Suicides or Bloody Idiots.
tbb shares from personal experience... this near fatal incident is near impossible at most Oz Jetties.
Mostly as Authorities are ordered to pounce & kill ya before any shark could circle!
Happy to share observations...meaning no disrespect to local ways...just sharing Oz Wide practice!
Can't apologize for long review as many events centralized at Beachport Jetty over long weekend.
Crew thanx Beachport Community for inviting us to share their world of wonder...good health to all!

TBB. Good stuff. AW

truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher Thursday, 5 Oct 2023 at 12:59pm

Good stuff from yourself AlfredWallace + Crew + Beachport Community.
Community are forthright in sharing detail...not always the case.
Think about controversial WA Shark Shielded media massaged diatribe.
Community is drip fed highly restricted Minister managed Police legal jargon.
One slip up & the first & only whistle-blower gets roasted...
Minister :
"Media speculation can't be confirmed...some fool spoke outta place...we threw him into the Volcano!"

On this long weekend (Timely Happenstance is wotz playing out in the Town...what if...)
* Lowest Tides > Postponed Boat Wash - Group Jumps > DST Split Swim Group.

eg: Crowding & clouding of shared Gladiator Arena...when the dust settles...A bloodied body emerges!
Sounds exactly as gruesome as it is...no getting around the fact that all will feel guilty.
Even tbb will apologize...(Why!)
Coz tbb may have innocently implied that swim group/s adopt less safety.
Coulda Shoulda said Beachport swim group soundly practice safety in numbers...
Pam Cook shares more detail on that...
https://borderwatch.com.au/news/2022/01/09/urchins-and-slugs-swim-year-r...

Swim group likely waited out for now said (3 DST waylaid stragglers...)
News reports 2 others witnessing then assisting seemingly last swimmer Pam out of the water.

Splitting the group is Taboo & as a result Huey's beastly pet has beached them!
Surf crew here know most of all just how close knit fellow swim crews are.
Can imagine they're all soul searchin' while being dry-docked at their Rotunda Hang.
More afraid of swimming without their swim bud than any further Wrath of Huey!
Noting their swim group homepage is private with little to no mention...Devastated!
News reports swimming was re-opened on Tuesday (24hrs Nat' standard)
No news of swim crew re commencing as yet...but are meeting up for Friday night dinner!
Crew wish them well.

tbb could dredge up last Spring's equally gruesome Beachport Jetty Horror.
[ Warning ] This will Shock the Shit outta Majestic Sea Creature Lovers...all the crew!
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11305815/Community-horror-sting...

Beastly Jetty Locals wanna drive away tourists at start of each Fishing Season...seems to be working!
Now know the origins of Blessing the Fleet...ward off Beachport's spring collection of Sea Demons.

Still not gruesome enough..."One Tough Cookie!"
Thursday : Survivor Pam Cook shares more detail of Monday's attack...
"Thought it was a prank...then flashes of her family friend taken by GWS in Glenelg 2005.
Exiting the ladder, her thigh was hanging by a thread needing 200 stitches over 5hrs surgery.
Also that she had difficulty putting weight on either leg...be out for a while.

Pam also shared she suffered cuts to both legs & Arms
Lends thought to Shark constantly confusing all limbs as prey threshing in silted shallow water!
The shark was attracted to busy bombed site & excited by events or prey leading up to attack.
Sounds like Shark shared the keep in a frenzied low tide feeding mode after similar threshing prey!
We can now rule out fussy articulated Juvenile GWS DIY dental technique...(Reads agitated frenzy!)
https://7news.com.au/news/sa/south-australian-woman-pam-cook-thought-she...

If there is relation or warning to Jetty Surfers & Swimmers.
Avoid Paddling under high risk > peak season - back washed and/or swift low tided Jetties.
Meaning : Any reverse outbound swell action would release prized sea stock to attract the Boys to yer Jetty.
We can assume this risk increases with more resource in less water of following lower tide cycles.
Let's just say...as peak nutritious resource is released > not a good place to hang out for WOTD!
Kinda reflects surfing at Xmas / New year Peak Wastewater Ocean Outfall site...(Not recommended!)
Major Mankind / Seasonal induced imbalance should be timetabled to warn Jetty users...All say Aye!

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Thursday, 5 Oct 2023 at 1:03pm

hot off the presses for tbb news:
morning swimmers are back in the am water off the beachport jetty, (pam wet in spirit only), each session watched over by kindly local cop.

wax24's picture
wax24's picture
wax24 Thursday, 5 Oct 2023 at 8:06pm

AW and all, great to hear Ms. Cook is getting on. So good to hear.
And so the swim club went right back out? Good on em.
Tmro, for me. That’s the prescription. (tho, without the emotionally fraught need to enter those same waters.. what was i even on about?)
And thanx AW, for your response. Good care taking and more appreciated than i could express.

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Thursday, 5 Oct 2023 at 8:24pm
wax24 wrote:

AW and all, great to hear Ms. Cook is getting on. So good to hear.
And so the swim club went right back out? Good on em.
Tmro, for me. That’s the prescription. (tho, without the emotionally fraught need to enter those same waters.. what was i even on about?)
And thanx AW, for your response. Good care taking and more appreciated than i could express.

Wax24. Hope you are well. A surf will flush you out thats for sure.

The Farallon Islands of which you would know, is a mere 30 miles SW of Point Reyes. Most surfers who are interested, know thats a nursery/breeding ground for Great White Sharks.
We are all friends..AW

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Thursday, 5 Oct 2023 at 8:35pm

on you wax24, hit it! we surfers generally fight shit by snarling calmly at it, you got a country music soul, you know this. super beautiful you have wished pam well, the world can be magical in its smallness, thank you. I spent an hour online with Pt Reynes at your recommendation. Awesome place indeed! I worked in Inverness in Scotland for a while, but now live near a place with about 1000 people, like the Inverness that you have there!

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Thursday, 5 Oct 2023 at 8:52pm
basesix wrote:

on you wax24, hit it! we surfers generally fight shit by snarling calmly at it, you got a country music soul, you know this. super beautiful you have wished pam well, the world can be magical in its smallness, thank you. I spent an hour online with Pt Reynes at your recommendation. Awesome place indeed! I worked in Inverness in Scotland for a while, but now live near a place with about 1000 people, like the Inverness that you have there!

Basesix. Hi mate . How are you ?

Quaint writing, nice. AW

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Thursday, 5 Oct 2023 at 9:05pm

stormy weirdness in radelaide AW, central markets with my kids, noarlunga to catch up with some peeps, and a few boxes ticked. Back down the SA south-east tomorrow : )
(sorry, haven't read the dodo book, referred to previously, still enjoying the botany thread, of course!)

truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher Friday, 6 Oct 2023 at 12:51pm

Normal for Govt to close work site & order a cease work order .
Order a work place site inspection & report / conduct a safety incident inquiry.
Offer an apology & assure assist & cover all expenses of Victim.

basesix shares Govt has Cops on Work Site watch indicates Govt are liable.
SA Govt Dept for Infrastructure and Transport ( Note both are at the heart of incident )

Govt : "Jetty sustained damage from several large swell events in 2021."
Set 2022-Dec 2023 "Beachport Jetty Upgrade Project"
To safely facilitate these works...
* Sea end is closed to Public
* Shore end will be closed intermittently as required.
* Advanced Notice Signage to Advise Jetty users whenever closures are required
* Works are coordinated with Commercial fishing fleet "To Minimise any Impact"
* To ensure the Safe use of Jetty...Please observe [Local Signage and Restricted Area]

May 2023 Project Update Newsletter

These Essential Works will ensure the long term structural integrity of the Jetty for all users.
* Community Engagement
The department has been working closely with the community, the fishing industry and Council to accommodate and (minimise impacts as much as possible) during this important project.
Throughout the Works the Project Team has worked with Boat Owners and Local Businesses to ensure the Jetty is 'accessible to load' fishing gear and cray pots, and for 'Special Events' such as the annual (Blessing of the Fleet) to celebrate the beginning of the 2022-2023 Season. This engagement will continue to feature as a 'Key part of the Project'.

Harvest Moon Long Weekend Beachport Blessing of the Fleet

Jetty Signage Boats 4kts / No Jumping
https://www.mountgambierpoint.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/Beachpor...

Govt Workplace Festival Breaches (Terms and Conditions)

* High Powered Vessels are mandated to ramp Speed to Wake Wash the Jetty Surf Comp.
* All God's Gromz must Jump off the Jetty for Free Donuts
https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=10225128288338955&set=g.30476750110...

Added Safety Precautions for Festive Work Site / Party Zone
* As Advertised : [see] Wild Dangerous Critters Plague corner the Town onto the Work Site (Tick!)
https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=10159623969928388&set=g.30476750110...
* God : "Please all gather around & over crowd the removed Decking Area!" (Tick!)
https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=10225128287618937&set=g.30476750110...
* SA Transport (Safety Message) : Mind the Gap + Mind ya don't trip over that Large Donut (Tick!)
https://dit.sa.gov.au/__data/assets/image/0011/1222886/DJI_0356.JPG
* All Tradie's Dogs are mandated Jetty access to Bark at The Sharks (Tick!)
* Please take yer Leap of Faith within the Blessed Charmed Circle of Whirling Dervish (Tick!)
https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=10225127748005447&set=g.30476750110...
* Houdini approved Escape Ladder...Just the one, so don't all rush as yer Jetty Collapses...(Tick!)
https://7news.com.au/news/sa/husband-of-sa-shark-attack-victim-thanks-wo...

Govt Spokesman :
"We maintain all patrons got totally wrecked at our Annual Wild Beachport Birdman Rally work site!"
"Mosh Pit Festival Queen will be Awarded the Key to the Project Party Zone Bombing Range!"

SA Dept of Heritage / Events / Sports / Transport / Fisheries / Work Safe (Memo!)
Would love to jointly apologize to Pam...but haven't been seen or heard of since the Long Weekend!

Crew are fully aware of such greater danger...don't stir the Beast.
Recent swellnet shark story revealed Victims billing Rescuers for outrageous Ambo bills .

tbb has supported family thru the endless soul destroying exhaustive torment...for Govt apology!

tbb's realtime DIY emergency example...still playing out this very hour!
Qld Health prescribed & fitted tbb with breathing assist machine that cut out on Dad's biggest Day
Similar outpatients ask if they'll die...No {i}-hotline-Health back up Oz wide...DIY rescue mission.
Health issue ramps > Lifeline > Telehealth > Ramps Again > Emergency ( No assist ) > Drug overdoses.

2 weeks of struggling with exhaustive alternate reality...Govt device is replaced...relief!
But wait! Now a [ Speed Camera ] fine for Govt prescribed life saving emergency DIY rescue mission

Phone Legal Aid > A Power Blackout - Cuts Phone Service...days later just now got off the phone...
Mum / Legal Aid Advice is for tbb to push on with "Strong seemingly assured case for leniency!"
1 month on paid $40 Traffic history (Apparently good) now need to apply for Hospital Records...

Soon, months stressing to squeeze in a 2024 Court Case over 200 kms away from Cam / Hospital.
All for a Combo of Robo installs fabricated by the Govt that were impossible until 2020 onward.
Until recently a Traffic Cop would simply phone ahead or assist safe emergency access!
More Govt automated Outpatient Crisis for more Robots to automatically scan > Judge > Terminate!
Easier to suck it up & pay $500 Emergency Robo Toll / Point deductions for only wishing to breathe.
But alas as humans we're mandated to give a shit & prove that we are AI compliant cyborgs!

Can't imagine a Shark attack victim with a 100% recourse would have any better go at it...
Few here would be surprised if Victim gets no apology or Compo but cops a fine.
Wrong Place Wrong Time So Sad Too bad...Good Luck to the Victim!

PS :
Be wise to check any Similar Govt structured attack sites ...could start with recent WA Fatal Attack
Jet Skis > Skylarking > Leaping into stirred up murky waters neath Bridge Supports. {R.I.P}
Likely see more Warning Signs to Read the Warning Signs about spate of structured Shark attacks.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-04/swan-river-shark-attack/101931866

wax24's picture
wax24's picture
wax24 Friday, 6 Oct 2023 at 11:33pm
basesix wrote:

Thanx, Base.
Yeah, Inverness (the one here) had a large wildfire back in the 90s. Lost a buncha homes and about 10, 000 acres, as i recall.
Turned out the guy who is missing was not a person who just did not know enough not to enter that stretch of water, but, rather, a local legend at the kiteboarding game. (Local meaning San Francisco, not local to me.) Knew TOO much!
Note to self.... don't get too comfortable with familiar, but potentially dangerous situations.
This includes my job, at the psych hospital. I notice myself from time to time being being very cavalier with my own safety when with patients, and endeavor to button that up. Too familiar and comfortable to have pulled that off as of yet.

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Saturday, 7 Oct 2023 at 8:52am

Woah, wax24, way to draw analogies from the world. Stellar work : )
JF posted a vid 'the arctic' on the 'interesting stuff' thread. I reckon it would appeal to you, 2/3 of the words hit hard. Pretty good ratio!

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Saturday, 7 Oct 2023 at 9:03am

(further to previous)
just re-watched it. I'm gonna up it to 3/4.

wax24's picture
wax24's picture
wax24 Saturday, 7 Oct 2023 at 11:23pm

Yeah, Base, that was stirring stuff. My compliments to Jelly for sharing it. I am torn between loving what i do, and wanting to chuck it all. Explore till i no longer draw a breath. (Truth be told, i like my comforts too much, lol.)

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Thursday, 19 Oct 2023 at 7:49am

woof.. one less in the waters here, go nature.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Tuesday, 31 Oct 2023 at 1:11pm

Sad outcome it seems :(

Clam's picture
Clam's picture
Clam Tuesday, 31 Oct 2023 at 1:32pm

Reports are sad for the surfer, viciously killed most likely by a protected species fish, RiP to Victim.
It's the wild west out here as far as shark patrols & alarms but it didn't take long for word to spread, with a big new swell rolling in and offshore wind tomorrow, there's been multiple encounters wish sharks lately on fishermen and surfers,
This is 2 fatalities in the last 6 months around eyre peninsula , the new hotspot for shark attacks??

Clam's picture
Clam's picture
Clam Tuesday, 31 Oct 2023 at 2:04pm

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/person-sustains-seri...

"A witness at the scene said the victim appeared to be a man in his 20s and the shark was about 4m long.
“It’s horrendous,” she said.
The witness described the scene as “pandemonium”.
“It happened close in near the surf break,” she said
She said about 30 minutes later three ambulance officers and SES arrived on the scene.
"And the witness and her friends were “all ready to go in” right before the attack happened.
She said just before the attack “there were lots of tourists”, between 10 and 20 coming in and out of the water"