Indo Tides

grufnut's picture
grufnut started the topic in Wednesday, 24 Oct 2012 at 4:14am

Does anyone know if tide predictions for Bali would be the same or similar for south coast Lombok? or where i could find a chart for kuta lombok general area? cheers for any help yo!

mrsbradpitt's picture
mrsbradpitt's picture
mrsbradpitt Wednesday, 24 Oct 2012 at 5:16am

at a guess id say they are differant. Like everything in indo there seems to be no consistancy with the tides. Youll go crazy trying to work them out

singkenken's picture
singkenken's picture
singkenken Wednesday, 24 Oct 2012 at 9:01am

Gruf, the Lombok strait is one of the most complex & dangerous stretches of water on the globe ( as is the Rip at the entrance to Port Phillip Bay). It is torn by many competing currents & flows that push through the gaps & passes in the islands & make for very difficult tide predictions. A bit similar to Kangaroo Is ( Only the locals seem to have an idea of how it works, and even then it can still be sketchy).You can use maritime charts of the area combined with 'normal' tide charts to get a rough idea, but to pin it down exactly, I reckon you just have to be there, and try to get a feel for it. I surfed the coast around Kuta Lombok a few years ago, found it to have quality waves and favourable conditions - just settle in, get the rhythm of the tides and you will not go far wrong!!!.

grufnut's picture
grufnut's picture
grufnut Wednesday, 24 Oct 2012 at 8:37pm

Cheers, yeah thought that might be the case only got ten days so will hit up boys in kimen surf shop i guess. Singk did you go wet or dry season? i've been a few times may/june but this will be my first time this late in the year any hints?

redoka065's picture
redoka065's picture
redoka065 Thursday, 25 Oct 2012 at 1:28pm

G,day grufnut have a look at www.yosurfer.com it has reports forcasts & tides, i used it for nusa lembongan & it was farely accurate. like singkenken says there is lots of water movement up there, enjoy.

singkenken's picture
singkenken's picture
singkenken Sunday, 28 Oct 2012 at 12:50pm

Went in April that time, & it was OK - dodgey with winds some days, but mostly ok. Small Hawaiian island name & G Bay the best spots.Inland drive a very poor proposition to inside e's, but theres' a feckin' resort there now i hear !!

grufnut's picture
grufnut's picture
grufnut Monday, 29 Oct 2012 at 9:46am

haha yeah they are no secrets but cheers anyway i enjoyed the cryptic clues! if anyone is interested i found Tring bay to be the closest location with tide info for lombok.