Daily surf report timings

tomjoad's picture
tomjoad started the topic in Wednesday, 10 Oct 2012 at 1:28pm

Team,

I live in Brisbane but drive 2-4 times a week down to the Gold Coast or NNSW for a wave (maybe less in Spring). Unfortunately in Queensland, we don't get the luxury of daylight savings, so the sun comes up around 5 and the sea-breeze kicks in as early as 9am.

With those circumstances in mind, an early surf report is pretty key. And I'm finding more and more, recently, that the reports for Coolangatta, and Surfers in particular, are late arriving. Obviously it matters more on those uncertain days where 1-2 ft of swell is forecast and there's a chance of a northerly wind... but as a swellnet surfer, I'd appreciate some consistency in providing early reports (which sometimes you do - last Thursday, for example, at 5:40 am).

Obviously, if you get the reports on at 8am, it won't stop anyone surfing, but it would probably mean less use of the website, for me at least. I assume your reporters are volunteers, and I appreciate the service either way.

A quick aside - Ben, your friend Jeff Schmuck is the definition of an internet troll, so maybe it's best to leave him under the bridge, rhetorically speaking.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Wednesday, 10 Oct 2012 at 1:39pm

Tom, why don't you do it the old way.

Learn to read charts, wave buoy data, try to predict weather patterns yourself.

If you do all this a day or two out, you generally get a pretty good idea of what the next days conditions are going to be like.

It's not science.

Ah, actually it is...

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Wednesday, 10 Oct 2012 at 1:41pm

Tom, thanks for your feedback. It's a very valid point and something we're overhauling in the very near future. I won't go into much more detail here however we are looking at improving this part of Swellnet in a considerable way. Stay tuned.

tomjoad's picture
tomjoad's picture
tomjoad Wednesday, 10 Oct 2012 at 2:06pm

Hah, great response times both - much appreciated. And good to hear, Ben. To be clear, I love swellnet, so it's meant as a 'thanks, and here's a suggestion' comment.

I'd offer to do it myself, every morning at 5, but that's the downside of living in the big smoke (??) I guess...

blow-in-9999's picture
blow-in-9999's picture
blow-in-9999 Thursday, 11 Oct 2012 at 5:39am

Much better to leave predawn. You can check wind/ bouys at any time.

mrsbradpitt's picture
mrsbradpitt's picture
mrsbradpitt Monday, 15 Oct 2012 at 1:30am

swellnets surf reports are always bogus