What has swellnet turned into?

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot started the topic in Tuesday, 9 Oct 2012 at 7:34am

Recently swellnet forums have been desintergrating into absolute garbage...

Some of the recent comments have been about domestic violence, terminal illness, hard drug use, and basically just pathetic dribble..

What is this? Stab mag?

How about we get back on topic about... Surfing!!!

fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21 Tuesday, 9 Oct 2012 at 8:17am

Got to agree with you on that one gooryfoot.

When I first started checking out swellnet I used to get a regular laugh, and I still do, but things are getting a bit outa hand and a fair bit of abuse thrown around. I don't think we want to go down the line of being regulated but things have got to become a little more civil perhaps.

I have probably been guilty of getting a little "emotional" on issues before and have directed some heated exchanges at another poster in the past, but try to live by the line of "if you got nothing nice to say about someone..............

Southy's comments on another recent forum summed thing up pretty well I think.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Tuesday, 9 Oct 2012 at 8:39am

It hasn't gone completely unnoticed by us though it's particularly hard to keep track of everything written in the forums. We also really want to avoid a position where we have to censor people. A self-moderating forum is something we've always strived for.

Recently Ben tried to maintain some order in the comments but was taken to task for 'trying to control the conversation'. I think we - that is, Ben and I - will start to moderate more and be damned with the people who complain about it.

FWIW I'm completely bored by the recent localism arguments and the endless tangents it's created. After 2000+ comments (in the original article and now in multiple forums) it's time to knock it on the head.

jeff-schmucker's picture
jeff-schmucker's picture
jeff-schmucker Tuesday, 9 Oct 2012 at 11:27am

its been popular stu...thats why it still rolls on...why?....its turned nasty for sure and is mostly directed at me but i think thats not whats important,what is ,is that where and why its coming from. To say mean and horrible things is a manifestation of whats inside and thats how it come to the surface.[the swellnet forum pimple]...all in all it says in no mistaken fashion that some of the participants are unhappy....some we know who they are and some are anon....doesnt make the anons any diferent...they are still showing strong signs of unhappiness. Lots o reasons i'm sure. Slowly slowly catch the monkey;;;rome wasnt built in a day;;;may not happen overnight but will happen. Things will change this i'm sure of.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Tuesday, 9 Oct 2012 at 12:28pm

I don't think it's been popular. Seems to be just between a handful of blokes that want to get the last word in.

I say bury it too and get back to things that surfers love talking about, waves, beer, tits, equipment and tits.

Did I mention tits?

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Tuesday, 9 Oct 2012 at 12:42pm

It'll sort itself out it usually does, so yeah let's bury it, There!!

morris's picture
morris's picture
morris Tuesday, 9 Oct 2012 at 12:45pm

Good call Zen , yeah bury it......Woof

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Tuesday, 9 Oct 2012 at 12:47pm

Had to get the last word in didn'tya Morrie.

morris's picture
morris's picture
morris Tuesday, 9 Oct 2012 at 12:48pm

Woof...tities

rail2rail's picture
rail2rail's picture
rail2rail Tuesday, 9 Oct 2012 at 9:14pm

Stu - comments like "Hasn't completely gone unnoticed" and "Hard to keep track of the forums"...really? Aren't you the ed? Don't you log on and check the home page?

Mate, bit behind the 8ball don't ya think...considering you're driving the ship.

I agree with your comments Stu. But fair dinkum mate, the crap going on between certain individuals should've been shut down ages ago.

You yourself Stu highlighted the "endless tangents" but seemingly chose to let people slander each other. Sorry to contribute to this thread, but the cynic in me says that with so many views to the forums, it was a positive to Swellnet's marketability.

Bit late to start moderating now.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Tuesday, 9 Oct 2012 at 9:34pm

@ Rail2Rail,

Yeah, I check the homepage every chance I can, probably 100+ times a day. But I can't see everything that gets written, I simply don't have time.

Personally I don't think things should've been 'shut down ages ago' as it's only in the last day or two that comments went too far. It's the parry and thrust of forums, happens in all of them. But as I said, we'll keep an eye on it.

And, just quietly mate, you of all people have a nerve to arc up about slander. Seems you've completely forgotten the time you got stuck into me about Swellnet's WA reports. Does "go and shove your ignorant head up your feral arse. Twit" ring any bells? Wasn't too much courtesy or manners shown then yet all of a sudden you're the arbiter on grace and etiquette?

whaaaat's picture
whaaaat's picture
whaaaat Tuesday, 9 Oct 2012 at 10:27pm

Tities? Good grief.

Sorry, got distracted. Back on topic. Let's not get all Jonesian now. Apart from the fact that it's been tiresome, puerile and DAMN BORING, the recent exchanges between Vicco and Sarf Oz were, in the overall scheme, pretty harmless.

Unlike the Idiot Bunny's rant about Brutus, Sarge et al. That was flat out trollery. As much as I will die in a ditch for free speech, I do think that you let that stream of semi-conscious foulness go too far, Stu.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Tuesday, 9 Oct 2012 at 10:59pm

But the tits? Won't somebody think of the tits....

rail2rail's picture
rail2rail's picture
rail2rail Tuesday, 9 Oct 2012 at 11:10pm

@Stu. You're right with you're reply. Good memory too. But I sent you an email and did not splash it over the net - unlike what we've been seeing on Swellnet recently.

As wrong as I was, at least I didn't tell ya to shove your head up your ignorant fucking arse on a forum. You replied accordingly (via email) and that was that.

So, I'll cop that one sweet. Nice of you to bring that to light by the way....but a pay back is a pay back and I don't for one second blame you for your reply above. So Stu, I apologise. It was wrong and unwarranted. You might want to go back and check a post or two in the past where I defended yourself and Swellnets' surf forecasting. But I digress....

"Only in the last day or two that comments went too far/Stunet"...

Like I said Stu...you're behind the 8ball. Just wondering if the comments were "purposefully" overlooked?

Yep - I was a wanker for sending you that email.

But in your case, ignorance seems a little bliss.

Surely I'm not the only one that thought that SWELLNET let this drag on. Point in case, I did not start this forum titled "What has SWELLNET turned into"

Thanks for the opportunity Stu in replying to your comment.

whaaaat's picture
whaaaat's picture
whaaaat Tuesday, 9 Oct 2012 at 11:13pm

@zen

See Debbie in Z-man's photos. Great t..

eeth.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Tuesday, 9 Oct 2012 at 11:35pm

I was too much of a gentleman to mention it to Z-man in the other forum, but Debbie didn't go unnoticed.

Blessed Mother Nature 'eh?

and tits!

pepe's picture
pepe's picture
pepe Wednesday, 10 Oct 2012 at 2:30am

Zen! It's been a while bro. I'm trying to get this marvelous pair of tits (doing yoga but tasteful and clothed - and still to be appreciated) cut and pasted into this and having no luck ...

Hope all is well in Japan mate

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Wednesday, 10 Oct 2012 at 2:37am

Pepe, been awhile my friend.

All is well as I hope this finds you.

there's a word I keep forgetting, it's at the tip of my tongue,

Nipples.......

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Wednesday, 10 Oct 2012 at 6:40am

An obnoxious know it all has changed the vibe of the whole site that's what's happened to swellnet. U r probably right r2r it is probably good for ratings, in a cheap Alan Jones can't help but look kind of way, but is that what u would want tour site known for?

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Wednesday, 10 Oct 2012 at 7:22am

Actually sypkan, our forums account for a tiny fraction of Swellnet's web traffic. However, we believe they can serve a useful purpose, so they're here to stay.

I've been a part of various web forums for over thirteen years (surf, snow, weather, music), and it's common for the dynamics - and therefore flavour - of all forums to change from time to time as new members come on board and have a rant.

Besides, I just picked up a second hand Mercedes Benz limousine from our new forum sponsors (it's got 'old man' smell, but that'll pass in time). Just waiting for the custom roof racks to be fitted. Can't be all that bad, eh?

whaaaat's picture
whaaaat's picture
whaaaat Wednesday, 10 Oct 2012 at 8:01am

A clarification: by 'Jonesian' I meant let's not all sling mud and then get all weepy and wounded and righteous when we get a taste of our own medicine.

Now. Off to the salt mines...

drivinlongtime's picture
drivinlongtime's picture
drivinlongtime Wednesday, 10 Oct 2012 at 9:10am

Bring back Nick and the boat people!

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 10 Oct 2012 at 9:28am

Ha...yeah, where is ol' Nick3? Really miss his open-minded, liberal musings.

@R2R,

Apology accepted, and there is no cynical masterplan for driving traffic. As Ben said the forums do a very small amount of Swellnet's overall traffic so if it was extra page hits we were after we'd be foolish to try and achieve it in here. The reason we keep it going is 'cos we see it as a good place to exchange ideas and viewpoints.

A point to note is that everyone has their own idea of when a post 'has gone too far'. It's a personal judgement; some advocates of free speech would say there's no such thing as too far while others would begin to censor at the first insult. We tend to lean toward free speech, but hatespeech or endless insults won't be tolerated. If anyone has an issue with another user please email me direct on [email protected]

jeff-schmucker's picture
jeff-schmucker's picture
jeff-schmucker Wednesday, 10 Oct 2012 at 9:42am

Haha dad...i mean stu.!!....you the guru brother,out to the front of the classroom for you....if you have an issue with another user you can email me too... [email protected]

drivinlongtime's picture
drivinlongtime's picture
drivinlongtime Wednesday, 10 Oct 2012 at 9:51am

Bring back Smucks and the narcissism (hey, why not join in!!) - "you havin' a laugh?"

jeff-schmucker's picture
jeff-schmucker's picture
jeff-schmucker Wednesday, 10 Oct 2012 at 12:07pm

thats primary narcissism hey DLT?? ="healthy self love"

jeff-schmucker's picture
jeff-schmucker's picture
jeff-schmucker Wednesday, 10 Oct 2012 at 12:09pm

what has swellnet turned into....online shopping forums?? on topic big ben?

jeff-schmucker's picture
jeff-schmucker's picture
jeff-schmucker Wednesday, 10 Oct 2012 at 12:33pm

oh thermalben...sweeping clean the swellnet corridors floors!!...its probably pussy or brutus or one of them scratched records tryn to stuff you up!??

sarge4's picture
sarge4's picture
sarge4 Wednesday, 10 Oct 2012 at 12:49pm

I'm getting on this tits bandwagon!!! I'm getting a sticker made up "expose tits not waves"

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Wednesday, 10 Oct 2012 at 1:13pm

Actually Jeff, I've got work to do. If you've got a legitimate question please fire away (and I'll happily answer), otherwise I'm finding it hard to work out what you're saying. Hence the lack of replies.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Wednesday, 10 Oct 2012 at 1:15pm

hey sarge4, I'll have one of those stickers please. It'll sit in the old spot where my 'Facques Jacques Chiraques' sticker used to be.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Wednesday, 10 Oct 2012 at 1:24pm

Don't let Julia Gillard catch you with one though. Not a huge fan but sure tore old Tony a new one yesterday 'eh?

Will Swellnet spiral down into a cesspool of sexism and misogyny? I retract my remark on tits.

I think the real question on everyones lips is-

How do those little bugs get inside sealed light fittings?

nebasha's picture
nebasha's picture
nebasha Wednesday, 10 Oct 2012 at 1:59pm

In answer to the question of this threadImage

nebasha's picture
nebasha's picture
nebasha Wednesday, 10 Oct 2012 at 2:06pm

Btw chef schmurfer: why does it say "grey heron" at the top of your profile?

jeff-schmucker's picture
jeff-schmucker's picture
jeff-schmucker Wednesday, 10 Oct 2012 at 4:52pm

nebasha....impressive logo there...i like it....probably coz i know there's others that would like one too!! haha

thermal...easy big fella...u make it sound like i'm actually bothering you....i was just congratulating you for taking them shithouse topics down trying to sell stuff..

any cooler and you would freeze up matson....wear a beanie on that dome.

fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21 Wednesday, 10 Oct 2012 at 6:11pm

Schumo,

Enough is enough. I don't know how you make any money fishing as you spend all day and night on here commenting on.................everything. If it was me, I would go broke.

Stu/Ben, can we put a muzzle on him so that he's only allowed.............say 5 mins per day????????????

reecen's picture
reecen's picture
reecen Wednesday, 10 Oct 2012 at 6:47pm

"enough is enough." never a truer word spoken.
This whole forum and comments thing has started to be like having a rat run around in the roof. Always that annoying noise ruining the peace.

jeff-schmucker's picture
jeff-schmucker's picture
jeff-schmucker Wednesday, 10 Oct 2012 at 7:01pm

hmmm fitz...send me an email if you want some hot money tips ATM...the bargains are flying out the door on the money market....Schmuckonet is a good break from trading bruz.

z-man's picture
z-man's picture
z-man Wednesday, 10 Oct 2012 at 7:50pm

I think moderating should be used wisely. I was recently on vacation in Indonesia for two months. I was surprised how many people were aware of Swellnet. I admit the majority were ozzies, but there were more than a few from various other countries. The overall consensus was positive by a wide margin and if there are occasions where some replies go beyond the pale of polite conversation, I vote to let the reader decide in all cases.

I am constantly inspired by the interesting comments and the ones that dip below the level of common courtesy just remind me how far society has yet to go.

"It's all good" - as I heard repeatedly!!!

yeah,yeah yeah,yeah. Repeating 'yeah' multiple times seems to be more effective?!?!

rail2rail's picture
rail2rail's picture
rail2rail Wednesday, 10 Oct 2012 at 9:20pm

Cheers Stu.

southey's picture
southey's picture
southey Wednesday, 10 Oct 2012 at 9:25pm

Alright .

I can't handle it anymore .

Can someone please provide the link to Z- mans' Photo's of "Hats " & Waves ....

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Wednesday, 10 Oct 2012 at 10:23pm

I can't see the pictures anymore, so none of it makes any sense anymore.

morris's picture
morris's picture
morris Wednesday, 10 Oct 2012 at 10:26pm

I can't see them either, what has swellnet come too. I'm missin out on tities and I am not impressed!

lpt's picture
lpt's picture
lpt Wednesday, 10 Oct 2012 at 10:51pm

It hasn't gone completely unnoticed by us though it's particularly hard to keep track of everything written in the forums. We also really want to avoid a position where we have to censor people. A self-moderating forum is something we've always strived for.

Recently Ben tried to maintain some order in the comments but was taken to task for 'trying to control the conversation'. I think we - that is, Ben and I - will start to moderate more and be damned with the people who complain about it.

FWIW I'm completely bored by the recent localism arguments and the endless tangents it's created. After 2000+ comments (in the original article and now in multiple forums) it's time to knock it on the head.

By: "stunet"

Stu-self moderating doesn't work, especially when people are 8ft tall & bullet proof behind a keyboard.

Sure Mods moderate, but not necessarily censor. Most people who can get it together enough to a) purchase a computer b) obtain internet access & c) spell, should be articulate enough to get their veiwpont across- without the need for personal attacks or degrading comments.

I don't think this forum has any chance of surviving without moderation.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Thursday, 11 Oct 2012 at 7:50am

Here you go Southey, but the captions and imagery are much more than just 'that' photo.

Take a little time to look over them as they deserve a bit more attention than just a quick glance :)

Witches Rock, Costa Rica in the 1980's

southey's picture
southey's picture
southey Thursday, 11 Oct 2012 at 9:16am

Right on Craig ......

Witches Rock ... ! apparently you can see the " Forrest " from the Trees ....

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Thursday, 11 Oct 2012 at 9:22am

Haha, classic!

southey's picture
southey's picture
southey Thursday, 11 Oct 2012 at 9:32am

The classic " I'd whistle to help the G'friend get the Timing right " brought back memories . Shame most spots back here are too Far from shore . All i'd ever get were misstimed shots of Snaps and Cutties . !

PS . There are literally hundreds of Examples of " change " at locations . When your surfing existance/excitement in " some " places , comes from changes in time frames of weeks to weeks ( think RIP banks ) , then its amazing what type of insights you gather at slower changing spots .

For fear of starting another Surf war i won't go any further .

mrsbradpitt's picture
mrsbradpitt's picture
mrsbradpitt Monday, 15 Oct 2012 at 1:21am

i thought swellnet was an internet dating site...???

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Monday, 15 Oct 2012 at 1:55am

I like long walks on the beach at sunset, shopping for antique furniture and karaoke.

Bad breath and rudeness are turn-offs.

I didn't like my beard at first, but then it grew on me.

I think broken pencils are pointless.

I'm a Pisces and hope one day to meet my soul mate.

mrsbradpitt's picture
mrsbradpitt's picture
mrsbradpitt Monday, 15 Oct 2012 at 2:27am

see, i knew this was a match making site