Airlines carrying surfboards

aussieguy's picture
aussieguy started the topic in Tuesday, 2 Oct 2012 at 1:16pm

Hi all,
Planning a Bali surf trip and wondering what airlines I should be booking with? What are the attitudes the carriers have with surfboards? I’ve heard that QANTAS is one to steer away from. What experiences have you had?

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Tuesday, 2 Oct 2012 at 1:32pm

Here you go mate.

http://www.surfresortfinder.com/features/airline-surfboard-fees-and-char...

Singapore airlines by far the best experience with boards. But they're pretty good at everything. Over the last few years Qantas has gone downhill and I rarely fly with them anymore.

aussieguy's picture
aussieguy's picture
aussieguy Tuesday, 2 Oct 2012 at 1:42pm

Thanks Zenagain.
I read this web site last night and thought I'd ask around for others experiences. Earlier this year flew Melbourne to Queensland on QANTAS and they nearly didn't take my 6'7" on the return flight. Definitely wouldn't be recommending them.

mozzie's picture
mozzie's picture
mozzie Tuesday, 2 Oct 2012 at 1:49pm

Hey AG,
Jet Star aren't bad but check the flight you're on. ie the plane size as only the Airbus A330 allows you to carry boards up to 9ft. If you're on any of their other flights max. board length is 6ft 2 inches. Hope this helps...
http://www.jetstar.com/au/en/Planning-and-Booking/Baggage/Bulky-items

4kinkrail's picture
4kinkrail's picture
4kinkrail Tuesday, 2 Oct 2012 at 5:35pm

I worked for Qantas for many years and definitely would not take boards with them. I will give you an example: Was on the tarmac following a baggage train with boards on it, for a Jakarta flight, nothing unusual there. It was a wet and windy evening, the rear buggy (which the boards were stacked at least 20 high) had dodgy wheels, a gust of wind blew maybe 15 off the back onto the tarmac (keep in mind we were following closely in a van) had to swerve onto the apron to miss them. So we sped up and pulled next to this driver, yelled out that he had lost boards, he then shrugged and kept driving. 10min later we were returning, they were still there... Not good..

PS if you want to go to Denpasar, Qantas do NOT fly there, Jetstar do.

Anyway, just a bit of info for you all, happy travels!

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Tuesday, 2 Oct 2012 at 6:18pm

Done about twenty indo trips with just about every airline that flys from Oz to Indo, never had any issues with any, no extra charges, no boards lost, not even a ding.....possibly just jinxed myself

My personal preference on airlines to indo is
1. Singapore airlines, easily the best, comfy get your own tv screen with movies, music even games, food ok and sexy hostesses, but if hve to go via Singapore can suck.
2 Garuda, never any problem and I dig the indo hostesses and bintang, even if cans and warm, I dig them, I almost feel like I'm in indo.
3. Jetstar, normally the airline we go with, but mostly because cheap, i think there better than virgin blue swear there's more legroom?
4. virgin blue, go with these guys sometimes if cheaper than jetstar or better times etc
5. Quantas ,haven't used them for ages, think they just go Jakarta as said and normally pricy.
6. Tiger, never had any problems with them, but everything about them feels cheap.

gromfull's picture
gromfull's picture
gromfull Tuesday, 2 Oct 2012 at 8:08pm

Hey indo man, you didn't say what size boards you were carrying, or are they lids, if there lids well it doesn't matter,
Because they are just suit cases, but if it is boards then size does matter, I got over last time with a 6/8, but had damage, that was with jetstar, don't go jetstar if you have any real indo boards, they will make them fit anyway they can, I've heard Singapore airlines is the way to go, used to fly garuda in my day, hot hosties, great stuff, mm might have to book a flight, ya got me thinking

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Wednesday, 3 Oct 2012 at 7:48am

My first trip took 3 boards biggest a 6,6 but every other trip I've only taken 2 boards or less and never any longer than 6,3 these days a 5'10 and 6,3, but i also have the luxury of being able to leave a lot of gear over there including boards so travel light, but always like to take my fav everyday short boards.

I must note i spend all my surfing time these days in Sumatra normally mentawais or tellos, where you can get away with shorter boards as less wind and chop and generally easy paddling, plus im no he'll charger, I love barrels but if a swell of the year hits you won't find me out at triple overhead kandui, I'd rather head high perfection at some lesser known break.

You know the crazy thing is although most of the time, I've used a good board bag with maybee towels or something packed around the tail, I even taken single boards in one of those soft board socks and never a problem, I think I've just been super lucky though as have seen heaps of guys with trashed boards from flights even just traveling within Oz

I actually think the more boards you travel with, like coffins then perhaps it increases the chances of damage? As I'm sure airlines hate them, long and heavy, so perhaps they think there not so fragile, while a single or even double board feels light and delicate so maybee they treat it a bit better? Or guess if there heavy they may end up on the bottom while if light and short more chance to end up on top.

BTW my boards have always been polys up until recently but now there epoxy and more durable...oh and offcourse i always remove fins.

jezza64's picture
jezza64's picture
jezza64 Saturday, 6 Oct 2012 at 4:56pm

Aussieguy, just got back from two weeks in Bali. Took a 6'6" and 7'2" and fitted them both in a 8 foot board bag (made for a mal). Had no problems with Jetstar, they didn't even bat an eyelid. Kept it under the 20kgs allowance I got for using frequent flyer points, stuffed most of my gear in the board bag so I only had carry on luggage.

If you want to avoid the interminable queue for Visa On Arrival, go with Garuda as they have immigration officers on board so you can jump the line and go straight to customs, then out to freedom.

mrsbradpitt's picture
mrsbradpitt's picture
mrsbradpitt Monday, 15 Oct 2012 at 1:27am

jetstar and quantas are basically the same company i think. they both suck. singapore airlines are easily the best airline ive ever flown with. but to get to bali you will need to transfer through singapore.