New directional wave conditions for Sydney

bmod's picture
bmod started the topic in Tuesday, 25 Sep 2012 at 5:19pm

For those of you in the Sydney-Woolongong area we've developed a new presentation of wave data for the waverider buoys.

The aim is to show the distribution of wave energy in direction and period. It will help when there is more than one swell rolling in, especially from different directions. And will give an indication of the range of periods.

Currently we have Port Kembla data on the website, which is a reasonable substitue for the Sydney conditions, but we'll roll out all the directional buoys in time.

Take a look at:
http://new.mhl.nsw.gov.au/data/realtime/wave/DirectionalSpectra-portkembla

Let me know if you have any queries or suggestions

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Tuesday, 25 Sep 2012 at 5:31pm

Hi Ben,

Wow, this is great news and very helpful for those who know how to use it!

We'll put together an article to help explain how to read and interpret this new data for those that are interested.

Will this be rolled out across the whole MHL network on the East Coast?

Cheers, Craig

bmod's picture
bmod's picture
bmod Tuesday, 25 Sep 2012 at 7:50pm

hi craig,
yep, all 7 sites will go up, and there'll be several other analysis going online soon too (though this is my go-to when i'm deciding where to surf). there's been a lot of changes to our telemetry and not all sites can be channeled online yet ... soon hopefully!

the plots should be pretty easy to interpret for anyone that regularly follows surf conditions, and there's an explaination on the site, but i'll look forward to your article too. anything that makes the data accessible to the wider community is welcome

now we just need the swell to come to the party!

jeff-schmucker's picture
jeff-schmucker's picture
jeff-schmucker Tuesday, 25 Sep 2012 at 9:52pm

bmod....can we have one in SA...please?

the_b's picture
the_b's picture
the_b Wednesday, 26 Sep 2012 at 6:52am

Hey Ben, that data format is great. Probably a big ask but it would be good to have hourly plots as thumbnails to see how the wave energy is trending throughout the day/s.

bmod's picture
bmod's picture
bmod Wednesday, 26 Sep 2012 at 11:15am

the_b: That's on the cards too, either a video that rolls through the last day or an animation where you can select the period. That's down the track.

I'd love to Jeff, any excuse to get back to my home town. But as far as I can tell that buoy is non-directional.

donweather's picture
donweather's picture
donweather Wednesday, 26 Sep 2012 at 12:59pm

Hey Ben, I'm definitely liking the new plots. Perhaps you guys can chat to the Qld EPA to make the same changes to their SE Qld buoys!!!

One question I have is......given that these directional buoys appear to be able to advise of the differing swell periods (from differing swell sources) can these directional buoys also advise of the differing swell heights for each of these swell directions, rather than the total combined Hsig/Hmax that's currently shown?

I'd also like an explanation of how the Energy Density works, and what it actually means? Given it's out of a total value of 1.0, it appears to be more of a relativity measure of the predominant swell direction?

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Wednesday, 26 Sep 2012 at 4:40pm

Don, the energy density isn't limited to 1, that was the value you coincidentally saw when checking the data.

I'm trying to find the conversion from energy density to Sig wave height, maybe Ben you could help us out?

Also looking at the latest update you can see a NE windswell signal starting to show as a Turquoise colour in the top right corner of the graph..

Should be interesting to see this grow over the coming days.

bmod's picture
bmod's picture
bmod Wednesday, 26 Sep 2012 at 5:38pm

Hi Don, maybe you could talk them into a secondment, I wouldn't mind some time in qld too!

Second question first (deap breath... ) The directional spectrum is determined by first taking the 1D spectrum in the same way as a non-directional buoy. This tells us where in the frequency (period) range the energy is. There is always some energy across all frequencies, but theres a peak or two at the period of the swell(s). This isn't normalised (max of 1.0) but scales with wave height squared. Larger waves mean there is more energy in the spectrum.
Then for each frequency (period) band the direction of the energy is determined. There is also a spread associated with the peak so that we may have a tight peak (long crested waves) or a broad peak (as we would see in an onshore breeze with choppy waves). This is normalised for each frequency band as we want to keep the total energy constant.
But it does mean that if we have two swells at the same period from different directions, the energy will smear across the directions rather than give the two peaks we would like (this doesn't seem to happen very often fortunately).

That how the direcional spectra is made. To determine the wave height we integrate (add) all the energy cells in the plot and convert to height. I've spent a lot of time mulling over how we might separate the peaks to determine the heights from each event. Its realatively easy to choose the peaks by eye, but selection/separation of events is rather tricky to automate for the webpage. For now you can get a sense of the relative height by looking at the peaks (colour depth and area covered), and remember that energy is height squared so you need 4x energy to get 2x height.

Sorry for the long reply, does this answer it?
-Ben

bmod's picture
bmod's picture
bmod Wednesday, 26 Sep 2012 at 6:21pm

Nice demo plot, thanks Craig.

Energy density is (m2/deg/Hz) so you need to know the size of the bins in direction and frequency to be able to perform the calc (1deg, 0.005Hz bins up to 0.1Hz then 0.01Hz). If you do this for one bin you get a tiny value of wave height. We have to add all the values in a region to get a sensible height associated with a swell event.
So its not really possible to visually convert the information on the plots to an individual wave height for different swells. Maybe down the track we can develop something for that. For now it simply gives a intuitive indication of where the swell energy is.

Hopefully with a bit of practice people will be able to see energy from different areas of the plot light up different breaks. I find it interesting following the energy source, eg a low moving across the tasman and seeing the period, spread, height and direction follow the source.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Friday, 12 Oct 2012 at 10:41am

The buoy's starting to pick up some significant swell energy from the East Coast Low sitting off the Southern NSW Coast currently.

Look at the thing go!

dave_anning's picture
dave_anning's picture
dave_anning Friday, 12 Oct 2012 at 12:41pm

Hi Ben
Good visuals, if you can work out that secondment to QLD it'd be great...

Visually, it would make more sense to my brain if the long period swells were further from the centre of the plot, and the windswell closer to the centre.

It would also be good to get equal (possibly 2s?) increments for the frequency bands, although I recognise that there will be many more events in the low-period bands.

This would make it easier to interpret the energy-height relationships. At the moment there are steps of 1Hz,2Hz,3Hz and 10Hz.

bmod's picture
bmod's picture
bmod Friday, 12 Oct 2012 at 9:02pm

Hi Dave,
Good suggestions, thanks. Our Byron Bay buoy will go up, is that close to you?

The plots were originally developed for scientists/engineers so some convensions are kind of set from there. So where we have period (4,5,7.1,10,20 seconds) would normally be (0.25, 0.20, 0.15, 0.10, 0.05 Hz). I just changed the label.
The choice of long period at the centre seemed odd to me at first too, but I guess you just get used to it - it really makes more sense to have it at the outer since longer periods have more energy and should take up more space on the plot. I'll have a play and see how they look in reverse.

We have a 48hr loop working now, just waiting on approval to go public.

Cheers

bmod's picture
bmod's picture
bmod Monday, 3 Dec 2012 at 1:21pm

Sydney is up now, and so are the 48hr animations.
Enjoy!
http://new.mhl.nsw.gov.au/data/realtime/wave/DirectionalSpectra-sydney

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Monday, 3 Dec 2012 at 1:25pm

Hi Ben,

Yeah I noticed last week, great stuff!

Also I noticed the spectral stuff still updates even when the graph is temporarily offline, as was seen yesterday and early this morning.

This is handy to get a handle on the swell even though there hasn't been an update on the wave height/period graph. Thanks for putting it all on one page as well.

Cheers, Craig

donweather's picture
donweather's picture
donweather Monday, 30 Dec 2013 at 10:57am

Anyone know what the new blue line on the Sydney Wave Buoy Swell Period Graph at the bottom of this page is?

http://new.mhl.nsw.gov.au/data/realtime/wave/Station-sydney

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Monday, 30 Dec 2013 at 11:24am

Ah, that's why there were offline, to update the graphical output and add this in.

Not sure Don, I have asked Ben Modra from MHL for an explanation.

braithy's picture
braithy's picture
braithy Monday, 30 Dec 2013 at 11:42am

The 48hr animation is cool as.

donweather's picture
donweather's picture
donweather Monday, 30 Dec 2013 at 4:11pm
Craig wrote:

Ah, that's why there were offline, to update the graphical output and add this in.

Not sure Don, I have asked Ben Modra from MHL for an explanation.

I figured they were updating something when the graphs were not updating but the multi spectral was current.

Thanks Craig. Strange it's only plotted on the Sydney buoy too?

bmod's picture
bmod's picture
bmod Monday, 30 Dec 2013 at 6:10pm

I'm not at the lab this week so I don't know what's been happening (too busy surfing), but I could take a guess.
Two sets of analysis are performed on the raw data - one on the buoy , the other at the receiving station. Both are sent back and stored at mhl. Wave analysis is a black art and small changes to the fft parameters can give (usually small) differences in the results. What you are seeing are the two peak period results. Sometimes if there are two swell trains at similar energies they will pick different peak periods, though the Hs will be the same.
I'm not sure why both are there. We really only want one to save confusion. Probably a change has been made over the break that will be fixed in a couple of weeks.
Cheers, Ben

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Tuesday, 31 Dec 2013 at 9:02am

Thanks for the explanation Ben.