Give way to pedestrians or give way to cars?

groundswell's picture
groundswell started the topic in Saturday, 25 Aug 2012 at 6:23pm

Was surfing for a few hours a nice bank that inconsistantly ran through into the fun shorebreak when it started getting warm. Swimmers started crowding the beach and a few headed out to the inside section as a nice set rolls in.
I lined up the sections thinking i had a fair bit of room,between a 13 year old boy and my surfboards path.It might have been more than a metre gap at passing point, however he freaks out, runs a bit forward and instead of diving past the tail of my board, as most surfers would do he dives in front of my boards path, completely in front of the nose.
I pulled out and told him he should be swimming in the flags. And thought about telling him a few other rules.
However it got me thinking, as people i have met have mentioned they hate how surfers think they own the surf.
Well maybe we dont but most surfers would not do something like that.
Most can kind of predict what the waves going to break like and where to sim or paddle out to avoid such situations.
What do you think with situations like this where kids and surfers mix. I usually avoid crowded beaches but sometimes its unavoidable.
Shoud we be giving way to others or the other way around.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Saturday, 25 Aug 2012 at 7:25pm

I'd be of the mind 'when in doubt, safety first'. Kinda like bikes and cars, so I would probably err on the side of caution and kick out. That's me though, plenty wouldn't.

sideslipper's picture
sideslipper's picture
sideslipper Saturday, 25 Aug 2012 at 8:48pm

Absolutely tell him to swim between the flags..you can't surf in the flag area! In the past people were wary of s/bds but I've noticed recently people are more stupid or think its their 'right' to swim anywhere regardless of danger.Same as a lot of new surfers paddle straight out thru the break or try to out paddle you as you're flying down the line instead of paddling behind even if it means taking one on the head...Someone has to tune em otherwise the lunatics will take over the asylum......

floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd Sunday, 26 Aug 2012 at 10:23am

Was surfing ever about wave count?

I've had my fair share of waves and when in the surf the last thing I want is a hassle of any kind. That is why I prefer to surf alone or with only a handful of others. I'm not wanting every wave that comes through and happily call people in and hoot when they get a good one. Sometimes I have to pull back on a wave because someone is paddling out in the wrong spot. Rather than get angry and telling the surfer off I have learnt its better to smile and wait for the next wave. Later I might show that surfer where to sit or paddle out but not in a big deal way. Its not my ocean I just get the joy of it sometimes.

arty's picture
arty's picture
arty Monday, 27 Aug 2012 at 7:20pm

HI Donweather could you do surf forecast for north atolls maldives for september ? your last report seemed spot on

roubydouby's picture
roubydouby's picture
roubydouby Tuesday, 28 Aug 2012 at 1:49pm

Ever accidentally injure someone whilst doing something selfish?

Man, it feels terrible.

Not really worth hurting someone over a mushy beach break wave most probably surfed with a pooey style and air of self congratulatory ego.

If it was a 6-8 ft draining bomb over a shallow reef, well you should still try and avoid the person, but you'd hope that person knows what they're doing out there.

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Thursday, 30 Aug 2012 at 12:30pm

That's the point of the post rouby, whether surfers have the right to tell others where they can swim.
Ive had the same thing at all sorts of breaks. G-land, supersuck, island. People paddling out, but most often seem to get an idea of your speed and where to avoid you.
sometimes you have to work together.
Other times, with kids obviously oblivious to how to avoid you.
Other times its kooks snowballing you while you're in a makeable tube.
that tube you spent a long time working hard to get there, working towards and waiting for and yet some kook can just destroy it being a kook.

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Saturday, 22 Sep 2012 at 8:37pm

the funny part is roubydouby is that i said it was nice. nice isnt mushy.
Nice is good.
6-8 foot isnt the only size surf worth riding. only someone with a large self congratulatory ego would think so. or someone who can not surf small waves.

I fail to see where the 6-8 foot part makes a difference.only make matters worse.both in frustration for the waste of a good wave and the danger to them factor.

In any case, if you waited a long time for a wave to line up through different sections and one does, some novice mistakingly deliberately getting in your way will annoy you. especially since there are signs everywhere, no flags= no swim.

Thing is i have to pull out sometimes on my best waves, sometimes knifing a tube and some idiot paddles to where im knifing it into. i wish people would learn common sense. paddle behind people.

number-117's picture
number-117's picture
number-117 Friday, 28 Sep 2012 at 2:21pm

i was surfing at red gate a few weeks ago and there was this swimmer that kept throwing his kids on to waves surfers were on and i came flying down the line up on a hollow barrel and just as i was about to pass him the dick head throws his kid out in front of me and before i coud turn i ran the kid down and then the dad starts yelling at me and as i try to help the kid he takes a swing at me
just unfair.
if your going to act like that when you are a swimmer and you now what you are doing you should get kicked out of the water.