One man's trash is another man's treasure

stunet's picture
stunet started the topic in Thursday, 23 Aug 2012 at 9:08am

Here's to living in a rich suburb!

Yeah, it has it's downsides, my flat has the floorspace of a foyer, and still the mortgage is killing me. But the upsides became apparent the other day while driving home from work.

It's Bring Out Your Dead time and I drove past a big pile of rubbish...with three fins sticking out of it. I pulled the car over ran back and grabbed the discarded board - a 7'6" Geoff Horner in pretty good nick. Pretty good, that is, for something sitting on a junk pile. It's a bit yellow and weathered but it's largely sealed and with a touch of resin here and there will be ready to ride.

I've snapped a few boards this past year and blasted a hole in my quiver. This one will fill it just nicely, especially for where I aim to ride it. At 20 1/2 inches wide, 2 11/16 thick with most of the foam under the chest it's just perfect.

When cleaned up it would've easily got $300+ on eBay. So thanks to the rich person willing to toss a days pay onto the footpath and saving me the same amount in the process.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Thursday, 23 Aug 2012 at 10:39am

Just a few weeks ago, in a second hand store I saw a nice gunny style board in really good nick. On closer inspection it was a Rawson, signed along the stringer by the man himself with the little devil tail. (4000yen) $50! I flew home to get the cash and when I got back in less than 15 minutes, it was gone. Bummer.

Nice find Stu.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Thursday, 23 Aug 2012 at 1:06pm

There was a great story in an old Surfers Journal by a fella who took a surf trip to SW France without taking a board or consulting a forecasting site (blasphemy!). The whole deal was to leave it all to chance, let fate or serendipity or dumb luck play its hand.

First stop was a second hand board shop where he found a non-descript board sitting in the corner with a frog logo on it. Checking the stringer he saw Wayne Lynch's name scrawled along it. Find! And of course he scored pumping waves as well.

Shame you missed the Rawson.

sidthefish's picture
sidthefish's picture
sidthefish Thursday, 23 Aug 2012 at 1:19pm

stu, that's my board and it was stolen in Kiama about 4 years ago.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Thursday, 23 Aug 2012 at 1:22pm

OK, I'm a fair man.

$1000 and you can have it back.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Thursday, 23 Aug 2012 at 1:23pm

Actually, make it $900 and you can drop me at the Warner factory.

sidthefish's picture
sidthefish's picture
sidthefish Thursday, 23 Aug 2012 at 1:27pm

cops are on their way.

helmet-not-hose's picture
helmet-not-hose's picture
helmet-not-hose Thursday, 23 Aug 2012 at 2:45pm

About three years ago i was getting a lift to work with my brother when we saw a board in a clean up pile. It was a Cheyne Horan laser zap without the fin. It was colored red and yellow with black and white checks and it was in an OK condition. My brother claimed it even though he hardly surfs (used to but slowly gave up. He doesn't surf at all now).

I put up a fight because I knew it was a good board and I knew he didnt know the value of it. He won the argument. Two days later it was still sitting in his work ute amongst a concrete mixer, hoses and other work stuff getting banged around. I harassed him about it till he gave it to me. I got it fixed up and bought a winged fin on Ebay.

I've seen other laser zaps similar to mine go for $1000-$1500 on Ebay. I wouldn't tell my brother that though.