Custom made wetsuits

bolts's picture
bolts started the topic in Monday, 26 May 2014 at 10:29am

Hi everyone,

Are there any bigger guys out there that have custom made wetsuits? Being a bigger guy (6ft 4in and over 100kg) I'm having issues finding a wetsuit that fits. The XLT made for someone my height fits me heightwise but they're made for someone skinny. The XXXL wetsuits that I've tried on aren't long enough from crotch to shoulders and are very uncomfortable. I did buy one but it sucks to wear when surfing.

Need to find a custom made one but having a lot of difficulty in finding a place that does them. Want a decent quality wetsuit with super stretch neoprene, GBS seams etc. Tried Zee wetsuits but they don't make customs wtih GBS seams, need that in South Aus. Thinking about Glidz wetsuits, might give them a call. I've been to numerous surf shops and can't believe it has been this difficult. God help you if you're built like Lebron James and you want to go surfing!

Hopefully some big fellas out there will have a little bit of info on this topic. Cheers.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Monday, 26 May 2014 at 1:51pm

Good question. Seems to be a couple of local wettie companies popping up here and there (South Oz-based Remote aren't around anymore) but we'll have a sniff around.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Monday, 26 May 2014 at 2:33pm

There's a good one down here.... Been is business for years and years...
http://www.anchorwetsuits.com.au/index.html

uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Monday, 26 May 2014 at 3:05pm

These guy's do wetties in more realistic sizes. You should be able to get a really good fit off the rack. The exchange rate is pretty good now, and they are really reliable, not bad with freight costs. They were zipperless pioneers, and actually do use really good quality rubber, glue, thread, tape etc, so stay warmer and last a lot, lot longer than the main brands available here.

http://www.hotlineonline.com/product/tabid/62/productid/181/sename/new-r...

bolts's picture
bolts's picture
bolts Monday, 26 May 2014 at 3:23pm

Thanks Sheepdog. Unfortunately in their FAQ it states,

Can you customise a wetsuit ?

Yes but only for people who come directly to the factory so we can make sure your customised wetsuit fits correctly.

Unfortunately I keep coming up against hurdle after hurdle with different suppliers. I'm expecting that I'll have to get one interstate but at this stage even that is looking difficult. Might have to go overseas but would prefer to keep as much of the $ in Aus as possible.

There must be some bigger fellas getting wetsuits from somewhere in Aus? Although when I do go out surfing I don't see too many people who are that tall. I can't recall ever seeing someone over 6ft 6in out in the water.

mackdog's picture
mackdog's picture
mackdog Monday, 26 May 2014 at 3:39pm

You could try Axxe wetsuits. Would have all the features you are after and fully tailored.
Ian Chisholm at South Coast Surfboards in Torquay is your man.
Dunno if that helps much if your in Sth Oz though.

inzider's picture
inzider's picture
inzider Monday, 26 May 2014 at 4:37pm
mackdog wrote:

You could try Axxe wetsuits. Would have all the features you are after and fully tailored.
Ian Chisholm at South Coast Surfboards in Torquay is your man.
Dunno if that helps much if your in Sth Oz though.

AXXE are pricey but pretty epic suits, Japanese neoprene, tough and warm as.

mick63's picture
mick63's picture
mick63 Monday, 26 May 2014 at 5:39pm

You could try these guys as they are down in Lonsdale. Not sure what they are up to now but awhile back they were making wetsuits. Their website isn't up anymore except for their contact details.

Blue Monkey Creations

phone: (08) 8186 5903 | fax: (08) 8186 5904 | email: [email protected]

Also Seventhwave Wetsuits in New Zealand do customs and they have a pretty detailed measurement system so you can order online and get a good fit. I haven't tried either of them so can't vouch for them though.

t-rex's picture
t-rex's picture
t-rex Monday, 26 May 2014 at 9:14pm

Seeing as I am 6 foot 8 I feel your pain bolts I have experienced similar problems I
Have followed advice from local surf shops. One of my 4/3 wetsuits is a Tiki
Which is an xxlt my favorite wetsuit by far flexibility and warmth going into its 5th winter it is not as warm anymore but for 300 bucks a total steal my other real winter wetty is a Patagonia which is not as flexible but is more for the colder months in Melbourne July August. Any of these suits I would recommend to a taller person looking for a good suit hope this helps good luck

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Monday, 26 May 2014 at 9:58pm
bolts wrote:

Thanks Sheepdog. Unfortunately in their FAQ it states,

Can you customise a wetsuit ?

Yes but only for people who come directly to the factory so we can make sure your customised wetsuit fits correctly.

Unfortunately I keep coming up against hurdle after hurdle with different suppliers. I'm expecting that I'll have to get one interstate but at this stage even that is looking difficult. Might have to go overseas but would prefer to keep as much of the $ in Aus as possible.

There must be some bigger fellas getting wetsuits from somewhere in Aus? Although when I do go out surfing I don't see too many people who are that tall. I can't recall ever seeing someone over 6ft 6in out in the water.

A mate of mine is a big unit, bolta.... 6'4..... 19 stone.... Anchor had one on the floor for him!! Give them a call, mate........ Surely something can be worked out with all of our "modern technology"..... Send a photo, measuements, even film yourself with a tape measure.... Give em' a call, mate....

inzider's picture
inzider's picture
inzider Monday, 26 May 2014 at 10:53pm

ZAK surfboards inThornbury Melbourne do custom measure ups for AXXE suits. ZAK is a ridgy didge dude.

http://zaksurfboards.com/

bolts's picture
bolts's picture
bolts Tuesday, 27 May 2014 at 8:47am

Great guys, thanks very much for some of the info. I'll definitely look into some of the suggestions. Funnily enough, Mick63 mentioned the Blue Monkey Creations at Lonsdale (they don't exist anymore) where I did buy a XXXL wetsuit from 2 or 3 years ago. A cheap ass $120 wetsuit that fitted me perfectly. The build quality was low though and the knees wore out after 3 months of surfing in it. I bought it mostly to snorkel in.

Thanks again for the info and if there are any other fellas out there getting good custom made wetsuits please leave a comment. Share the knowledge. Cheers.

trippergreenfeet's picture
trippergreenfeet's picture
trippergreenfeet Tuesday, 27 May 2014 at 9:07am

This mob might be worth a try, I had a couple of customs 10 yrs ago, but I did go into the Freo factory for measuring and fit.

https://radiator.net/?rel=logo

bolts's picture
bolts's picture
bolts Tuesday, 27 May 2014 at 7:28pm

I'm probably going to give these guys a whirl. Custom made wetty from the USA. I'll report back on how it all goes.

http://www.carapacewetsuits.com/wetsuits/exo1.html

Review - http://gizmodo.com/carapace-exo1-wetsuit-review-pure-custom-fit-goodness...

inzider's picture
inzider's picture
inzider Tuesday, 27 May 2014 at 7:54pm

these guys have been making custom wetties for decades.

http://www.bodyline.co.nz/

bolts's picture
bolts's picture
bolts Wednesday, 28 May 2014 at 9:03am
inzider wrote:

these guys have been making custom wetties for decades.

http://www.bodyline.co.nz/

They have excellent wetsuit size guides. They're the most details I've seen yet.

http://www.bodyline.co.nz/Size+Guide.html

Another option to consider. Cheers.

bolts's picture
bolts's picture
bolts Wednesday, 16 Jul 2014 at 5:08pm

Ended up getting the custom made wetsuit from http://www.carapacewetsuits.com/wetsuits/exo1-new.html

Excellent quality, fits like a glove. No air pockets at all, it's like a second skin. Have never had a wetsuit fit this well. They did a good job and with Paypal exchange rates and shipping etc it cost $600 AUD. Took about 1 month to arrive from when I ordered which is slightly longer than advertised but all in all very happy with their service and the build quality of the wetsuit.

Would recommend them to any bigger guys out there looking for a custome made wetsut.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Thursday, 14 Aug 2014 at 2:11pm

Not custom wetties, but seen on another site wetsuits by Need Essentials in Victoria good value for money ,no frills ,no decals no colour - with a cool clean shaved non hipster single fin wearing a legrope surfing vid on there site.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Thursday, 14 Aug 2014 at 2:13pm

Yeah, cheap as. Has anyone given them a try? Keen to get a 3/2 for the run out of winter. Cheap as!

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Thursday, 14 Aug 2014 at 2:33pm

Hit them up for a demo suit ?
I hate those bearded hipster types on there single fins but I could watch that guy in the vid do those layback turns all day....true stylemaster.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Saturday, 18 Oct 2014 at 8:12am

Checking the need essentials wetsuit site seem to be out of stock of xs ,s ,m sizes in both 4x3 and 3x2 so I guess business is good.....they state 'our wetsuits have no warranty'
who out there has bought one.......feedback ?

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Saturday, 18 Oct 2014 at 9:23am
udo wrote:

Checking the need essentials wetsuit site seem to be out of stock of xs ,s ,m sizes in both 4x3 and 3x2 so I guess business is good.....they state 'our wetsuits have no warranty'

I think over at the Realsurf forum in the wetsuit thread there is a few guys that have bought them and seem stoked on them.

BTW. I think technically under Australian consumer law they need to offer a warranty of some sort, even if they say they don't offer one.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Saturday, 18 Oct 2014 at 9:37am

Indo, I think youre right consumer law re the warranty .

Hshs's picture
Hshs's picture
Hshs Saturday, 18 Oct 2014 at 3:47pm
udo wrote:

I have worn one all winter and its great! gets worn everyday and hasnt got a fault, going to buy two next season for the less price of one RC suit, that way i always got a dry one on the go...

matang's picture
matang's picture
matang Saturday, 18 Oct 2014 at 9:26pm

I got a 4/3 and luv it. Will definitely buy another. Nice stretchy rubber fully sealed no leaks. Normally hate 4/3 so mostly normally go 3/2 but the NEED wetsuit as comfortable as my brand 3/2. Only the price is cheap everything else quality. There sizing seams to be a little bigger than brand wetsuits. So maybe go a size smaller or try one on first

salt's picture
salt's picture
salt Monday, 20 Oct 2014 at 5:05pm

Anyone got an idea when NEED will have a new stock of 4/3s in the market, web site doesn't say and the email link isn't working for me for some reason.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Monday, 20 Oct 2014 at 6:22pm

Salt try this : 0439 620 022 - need essentials wetsuits.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Saturday, 27 Dec 2014 at 10:20am

Need Essentials : now doing there taped chest entry steamers in 2x2mm for $120
new shipment of of all sizes and thicknesses due early January.

handcrafted's picture
handcrafted's picture
handcrafted Thursday, 26 Jan 2017 at 7:33am
bolts wrote:

Hi everyone,

Are there any bigger guys out there that have custom made wetsuits? Being a bigger guy (6ft 4in and over 100kg) I'm having issues finding a wetsuit that fits. The XLT made for someone my height fits me heightwise but they're made for someone skinny. The XXXL wetsuits that I've tried on aren't long enough from crotch to shoulders and are very uncomfortable. I did buy one but it sucks to wear when surfing.

Need to find a custom made one but having a lot of difficulty in finding a place that does them. Want a decent quality wetsuit with super stretch neoprene, GBS seams etc. Tried Zee wetsuits but they don't make customs wtih GBS seams, need that in South Aus. Thinking about Glidz wetsuits, might give them a call. I've been to numerous surf shops and can't believe it has been this difficult. God help you if you're built like Lebron James and you want to go surfing!

Hopefully some big fellas out there will have a little bit of info on this topic. Cheers.

Hey Bolts,

I noticed that you had some questions regarding custom made wetsuits. We get a lot of requests from tall and broad shouldered surfers and divers to built them custom fitting wetsuit to maximize their comfort and performance in the water. We suited up some of the tallest and widest surfers and would certainly be able to suit you up as well.

If you're interested in getting a wetsuit that fits you properly check out www.7till8.com and we'll be more than happy to accommodate you. Until then, surfs up, catch some fun waves, and let us know how we can help!