The Dump

maddogmorley's picture
maddogmorley started the topic in Monday, 25 Jun 2012 at 11:01am

Anyone know how the Dump at Victor Harbor SA got it's name?

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Monday, 25 Jun 2012 at 11:29am

Good question. I always presumed there must have been a landfill nearby some time ago, but I've never bothered to enquire locally.

uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Saturday, 14 Jul 2012 at 1:05am

Because the waves are rubbish.

68yamum's picture
68yamum's picture
68yamum Saturday, 14 Jul 2012 at 1:08pm

From what I was told while growing up the carpark is on top of the old victor harbor dump site before it was moved to the west.

mrsbradpitt's picture
mrsbradpitt's picture
mrsbradpitt Saturday, 21 Jul 2012 at 12:10am

i saw the title "the dump" and assumed you were talking about the Gold Coast... My bad...

amb's picture
amb's picture
amb Wednesday, 25 Jul 2012 at 8:44am

Ben has the photos from the 75 Aus Titles at the dump featuring Pete Townsend, Terry Fitz, MR & Col Smith. Not epic by todays standards but still some nice styling. A bit of public pressure mat get him to up load some.

For the record Terry Fitz edged out MR in the final.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Thursday, 26 Jul 2012 at 1:01pm

Here it is AMB, the article from Surfing World covering that infamous day. A great read when you've got the time!

Sorry about the small size, click through each of these links if you want to see a larger size version..

albums/q10/sasurfa1/SW1.jpg
albums/q10/sasurfa1/SW2.jpg
albums/q10/sasurfa1/SW3.jpg
albums/q10/sasurfa1/SW4.jpg

not-another-white-thruster's picture
not-another-white-thruster's picture
not-another-whi... Thursday, 26 Jul 2012 at 1:28pm

Anyone know how the Dump at Victor Harbor SA got it's name?

By: "maddogmorley"

my mate shuey did a large poo there one day , it was bigger than his datsun , so we called it the dump....

spunoutatagneswaters's picture
spunoutatagneswaters Thursday, 26 Jul 2012 at 5:42pm

I'll go with the old dump site for Victor in days gone by. In early Victor days that would have been considered well out of town. To quote from 'Big Wednesday' that's the lemon next to the pie lads. Lets get a bit harder with the questions...with no giveaway's of location, where the ---- do you get a name like 'The Sewer' from?? Bout as far from a sewerage outlet as I can imagine a break being...have oft wondered about the coining of this dark title...

maddogmorley's picture
maddogmorley's picture
maddogmorley Thursday, 26 Jul 2012 at 5:56pm

Possibly because....and I'm only guessing....when it's on you would be like a rat up a drain pipe!

amb's picture
amb's picture
amb Friday, 27 Jul 2012 at 10:04am

I use to venture there a lot in my youth and was told that when it got big the then locals (early days) use to shit themselves.

spunoutatagneswaters Friday, 27 Jul 2012 at 6:22pm

looks like we might have a lead there amb. Can't imagine we'll attract too many Wicked Campers down with this discussion, for anyone concerned. Would you be hurrying down to find the locations if someone said...'hey let's check The Dump, and if that's crap we could suss out The Sewer, and if we're really stuck there's always something rideable at Arseole's'. Yes readership, these are all real locations. Some more worthy than others, make enquiries with care...

old-dog's picture
old-dog's picture
old-dog Friday, 27 Jul 2012 at 6:27pm

I believe the Sewer was named after an explorer who mapped some of the coastline,can't remember if he was French or Dutch. As for the Dump I too always assumed there must have been a rubbish tip there back in the old days.That surfing world article brought back some memories,shame there is no shots of the big day at the Dump but it did say it was the biggest the locals had ever seen it.

sledgedog's picture
sledgedog's picture
sledgedog Friday, 27 Jul 2012 at 7:26pm

First time poster but long time reader of this forum & swellnet.This thread finally gave me the urge to sign up especially with the mention of "the sewer" a place I frequented often in my younger days when I lived overseas.A quality right-hander on it's day & was usually at its best at this time of year especially with a NW wind.As I recall it got its name from the quality of its waves which were that good they were said to be"filthy",hence the name Sewer.The locals did tend to have a strange sense of humour,maybe it had something to do with their choice of herbal indulgences!!!! As spunoutatagneswaters said a name like that is not going to attract nosey tourists.Incidentally there is a break not far away that went by the name of "tadpoles" which was a barreling left-hander on a large swell,& definetly not a place for the faint-hearted.A magic part of the world which still has some great waves for those prepared to look.