Malaria and Indonesia - prophylactics or not?

rosso's picture
rosso started the topic in Wednesday, 21 May 2014 at 1:13pm

What's the thinking about malaria and travel in Indo? Not sure if I should take the drugs, or just be careful about covering up.

I've traveled in South East Asia previously and did not take prophylactics it as I wanted to avoid the side effects. I'm rethinking this as I once got Dengue fever in Thailand, and that was a bitch.

People say the side effects of the drugs can be bad, but the doctor says side effects are uncommon. I am undecided.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Monday, 13 Jan 2020 at 5:11pm

I have no idea of the risk these days in Sumbawa, but if there still is the chance of malaria being present the risk would be higher in the wet season or few months after the wet season, while the risk latter in the year after months of no to little rain the risk would be lower, as less mosquitos.

I was about to say the whole malaria risk thing in Indonesia is pretty low these days as every year it gets better and better, but i just googled to see how many cases per year and although dropping they say there was still 1.3 million cases of malaria (not deaths) in 2018