Michael Peterson

zenagain's picture
zenagain started the topic in Thursday, 29 Mar 2012 at 2:50pm

24 September 1952 - 29 March 2012

RIP

ben-colyer's picture
ben-colyer's picture
ben-colyer Thursday, 29 Mar 2012 at 3:17pm

So sad to hear of his passing. May his legend live forever.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Thursday, 29 Mar 2012 at 4:07pm

Lot of things being said around the interwebs about MP today. I'm reminded of a passage from 'The Life' by Malcolm Knox, a book based on the life of MP.

"They built you out of stories... how many times you banged some groupies in the jacuzzi, how many trips you took in one night, how many this, how many that, competing with each other to make DK into the biggest, craziest, wackiest mother what ever come by and none of it was true, none of it was you."

Makes me wonder.

tonebone's picture
tonebone's picture
tonebone Thursday, 29 Mar 2012 at 4:49pm

Spring 1970, a young grom up from Phillip Island, the banks at Rainbow perfect. I remember paddling my ring off back up the point after a long perfect wave, struggling against the low tide current, I notice something out of the corner of my left eye. It's Michael stroking along seemingly without effort but flying past me. He looks across at me, smiles and says, "you'll have to do better than that!" He leaves me in his wake. A few minutes later I'm still struggling against the current and Michael comes flying down the line on another perfect wave. As he gets close he says without looking at me, "It's sooo easy."

j-utah's picture
j-utah's picture
j-utah Monday, 2 Apr 2012 at 6:30pm

Some men have to die to become legends. Michael was born one. Love ya mate RIP. Condolences to Joan and Tommy.

more's picture
more's picture
more Monday, 2 Apr 2012 at 6:49pm

the timeless image of a surfer way ahead of his time doing turns that these types of boards dont like to do....legend, RIP

victor's picture
victor's picture
victor Monday, 2 Apr 2012 at 7:23pm

surfmatters blogspot has some pics i have never seen.....one pic is the first frame of one of those classic cutbacks.... m.p. the surfing world thanks you. R.I.P.