Alaia Survey?

nathanangelakis's picture
nathanangelakis started the topic in Wednesday, 21 Mar 2012 at 7:33pm

hey everyone i am a year 11 student and as apart of my SACE I have to pose a question to my self and research (shit loads) about it. and also create it, which i have.
my question is:
what are the steps and best ways of building an eco-friendly surfboard, alaia?

i was wondering if everyone could give me some feedback on their thoughts, as a sort of survey thing...... as you are a surfing community
i.e What do you think of the idea of an eco-friendly surfboard?
How do you feel about the notion of this more 'rootsy' traditional sense of surfing?
What do you think of there kind of recent comeback into fashion?
What do you think the general response of the surfing community to the recent alaia influx is?

Thankyou and would help loads

zambezi's picture
zambezi's picture
zambezi Thursday, 22 Mar 2012 at 8:20pm

Nathan,

Good topic mate.

I don't have an Alaia or any kind of eco-friendly surfboard, but, I often wonder where all the toxic nasties of the surfing industry end up. The Pacific Gyre ? I reckon you should try and contact the shapers using bio-degradable materials and hook up with the surfers who ride their products. Good luck with your SACE !

nathanangelakis Friday, 23 Mar 2012 at 11:43am

Thanks zambezi for the feedback, yeh thats a good idea i will probably also run a survey in a physical form amongst the local community, possibly boarding riding clubs (seaford, fly) and stuff.
during the creation of the board I have also seen that making an alaia has a much better aestheitc (in my view anyway) than the artificial white of of most modern boards, plus the board puts a much weaker dent into the environment than a toxic modern board
thankyou

zambezi's picture
zambezi's picture
zambezi Friday, 23 Mar 2012 at 9:35pm

Nathan,

I reckon it's a fantastic SACE topic. Take some photos of your Alaia board and post them on the forum. It would be interesting to see what you have crafted. Have you taken it out for a spin ? How did it perform ?

kluseau's picture
kluseau's picture
kluseau Sunday, 25 Mar 2012 at 12:01am

Nathan,

There is someone in Middleton making timber boards. Momentarily forgotten his name, but if you perhaps contact Big Surf (85 542 399), they should have his contact details.

Cheers,

Greg Sezun

nathanangelakis Tuesday, 27 Mar 2012 at 6:37pm

Thanks Zambezi, very keen to take it out for a ride but I have decide to design a pattern to go over the board with a wood burner, once i have done that i will seal it with boiled linseed oil and it all done so im buzzing and cant wait to ride it.

Also thanks klusea, its cool my eyes are being open to all this in the south oz community, didnt really think this sort of thing was around much in south oz (besides for maybe ben wallbridge though) cheers and ill definetly give them a call

Ill try and upload a photo.. if i can work it out ahaha
thankyou

nathanangelakis Tuesday, 27 Mar 2012 at 6:47pm

file:///Users/nathanangelakis/Desktop/Alaia/P1020669.JPG

alright hopefully this works, so heres my board balsa wood that i bought from bunnings (25mm/100mm/915mm) it costed around $130 its not completely done still need to shape the rails a bit more, then wood burn it and then seal with boiled linseed oil. but um yeh designed from scratch, everything has been hand done (cutting, sanding) and cant wait to ride it yewwww
thankyou

zambezi's picture
zambezi's picture
zambezi Tuesday, 27 Mar 2012 at 7:06pm

Nathan,

Have a look at The Inertia website. Lot's of good stuff on alternative board materials. Here's a link.

http://www.theinertia.com/surf/with-their-own-two-hands/

Just copy it into your browser.

You're photo upload didn't work. It's a bit tricky, but here are the instructions from Craig at Swellnet on posting photos. It works.

You have to upload the images to photobucket or Flickr, or some other image hosting site.

Then all you do is copy the image html code and post it here. Or just stick it between two [IMG ] [/IMG ] tags.

nathanangelakis Tuesday, 27 Mar 2012 at 9:03pm

hahahha lets hope in the near future Swellnet cant find any easier way of allowing us to upload photo's

But here we go i hope this works anyway

http://s1171.photobucket.com/albums/r555/nathanangelakis/?action=view&cu...

thanks zambezi also if your interested look at wooden surfboards blog (yeh i know hell creative name)

http://woodensurfboards.blogspot.com.au/2008/12/rasta-builds-wooden-boar...

thankyou

zambezi's picture
zambezi's picture
zambezi Tuesday, 27 Mar 2012 at 10:24pm

Nathan,

Click on the html code of your photo on photobucket, copy it, and then paste it on Swellnet. Anyway, I took the liberty. There it is. Looks pretty good. Can't wait to see it when it's finished.

Photobucket

Nathan's work in progress.

sidthefish's picture
sidthefish's picture
sidthefish Wednesday, 28 Mar 2012 at 12:09am

nathan, have a snoop around swaylocks too.

http://www.swaylocks.com/

bigwayne's picture
bigwayne's picture
bigwayne Wednesday, 28 Mar 2012 at 9:58am

calling mr stewart , calling mr stewart , clean up in isle 2

when and if he arrives he will set us all straight

thiswas bought to you by onesself

nathanangelakis Wednesday, 28 Mar 2012 at 5:18pm

ahahha ahk i get now sorry bout that one anyway thanks zambezi

yeh im stoked cant wait to finish it im just in the process at the moment of finding a good design/pattern to cover the deck with
thankyou

nathanangelakis Wednesday, 28 Mar 2012 at 5:20pm

But yeh you dont have to be an expert on alternative shortboard shaping but if anyone could give me some feedback, any average day surfer, that would be rad
thankyou

jeff-schmucker's picture
jeff-schmucker's picture
jeff-schmucker Wednesday, 28 Mar 2012 at 7:05pm

Nat...howdi from the westcoast to ya old man!!...hey there's a guy in streaky making wooden boards,they are pretty rad,great finish and great lines...he's making tow boards,fish/mini mal/mals/guns/shortboards. They are hollow core timber with timber fins, I have only ridden the towboards but josiah has ridden the shortboards and all are pretty impressive....he may be able to help ya out...mark galliver...galliversurfboards.com.au i think...or search mark galliver

nathanangelakis Monday, 2 Apr 2012 at 10:31am

Hey Jeff, hows it going? yeh checked out galliver and wow have never heard of him, its pretty rad with all you guys posting im learnign and discovering more of these awesome alternative board shapers. And yeh gallivers boards woh they are ver beautiful they look like they would ride so smooth.

After shaping this alaia, i don't think im going to buy any more foam/fibreglass boards. I reckon im going to go completely wood, support some of these shapers. Another one couple to look at are Black Apache surfboards and RIley surfboard, they makes some sweet ones.
thankyou

mrsbradpitt's picture
mrsbradpitt's picture
mrsbradpitt Friday, 6 Apr 2012 at 2:34am

if you ride an Alaia you may as well move to brunswick heads and join a commune

nathanangelakis Wednesday, 11 Apr 2012 at 3:56pm

Mrsbradpitt,
don't really get what your point is because im not from NSW and im guessing thats where brunswick heads is but im going to take a shot in the dark and guess that your calling me a "hippy...who thinks that making an eco-friendly board, in turn is going to make me a revolutionist"

Well know its just one small local step in having impact on the environment where humans are completely f**king it up...