oldman started the topic in Friday, 24 Feb 2012 at 4:11pm

Fantastic!!!!!!!!!!
After all years a cam at Middleton.
Thanks guys you're the greatest.

nickg's picture
nickg's picture
nickg Tuesday, 28 Feb 2012 at 11:14pm

nice work.

i learnt to surf and spent my grom years at Middleton, so i say this with love, but is it the World's most consistently average wave?

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Wednesday, 29 Feb 2012 at 6:59am

Average? You're being too generous nickg.

victor's picture
victor's picture
victor Thursday, 1 Mar 2012 at 8:08am

tracks letter, 1978. middleton is the most fucked surfing break in the world.............MICHAEL P WOLLENBERG....

maddogmorley's picture
maddogmorley's picture
maddogmorley Monday, 5 Mar 2012 at 3:16pm

Only thing it's got going for it is it breaks 360 days of the year. I've been round Oz and spent a year surfing around Europe and never found a beach that is surfable yet worse than Middleton. I agree with Tracks - it must take the crown for the worst surfing break in the world unless anyone knows of a beach that can top it?

whaaaat's picture
whaaaat's picture
whaaaat Monday, 5 Mar 2012 at 5:20pm

Ah, ladz, the problem we are grappling with can only be solved by adding precision to the terms being used as descriptors. Middleton is a proper surfing "break" about 5 or 6 days a year. The rest of time it is, at its highest, a rank mess of sloppy, slow, crumbly rollers.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Monday, 5 Mar 2012 at 5:31pm

You guys ain't seen nothin' yet - wait until we switch on our West Beach surfcam.

whaaaat's picture
whaaaat's picture
whaaaat Tuesday, 6 Mar 2012 at 6:59am

At least with WB, you don't have a 15 minute paddle out through 35 mush burgers, all the time cursing your mate who's managed to convince you that it will all be worthwhile but who you also know as the only bloke who claims to have been barrelled at Suicides.

Worst of all, you're paddling out knowing that the pies at the Port Elliot Bakery won't be warm for at least another two hours....

amb's picture
amb's picture
amb Tuesday, 6 Mar 2012 at 4:30pm

are you serious thermal re WB Cam or taking the piss?

raku's picture
raku's picture
raku Wednesday, 7 Mar 2012 at 11:15am

can the scan be programmed to move quicker?

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Wednesday, 7 Mar 2012 at 12:45pm

AMB - just havin' a lend of ya :)

Raku - we actually get more requests to slow down our surfcam tours! What do you want to see more of - the Bay or the Point?

raku's picture
raku's picture
raku Wednesday, 7 Mar 2012 at 1:31pm

You can't keep everyone happy! I made the comment as often the camera logs out before it has done a full scan. I'm no geek but I'm assuming it may be due to the slow net speed down this way. Thanks for your reply.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Wednesday, 7 Mar 2012 at 1:36pm

Nah, the surfcam 'times out' after a minute or so to save bandwidth (at your end, and our end too). I think the Middleton tour takes a minute and a half to get through - some locations only look at two or three spots, so they're much quicker. You'll just have to press the refresh button!

seabiped's picture
seabiped's picture
seabiped Sunday, 11 Mar 2012 at 11:38am

Great to have the surf cam thanks. Needs a bit of a clean though with all the crappy south easters lately its not helping!
Here's a thought, anyone notice that since the drought has broken our surf has gone down hill. I can remember surfing nearly every weekend with very favourable offshores and ground swells. Now its just been crap!
Also if anyone finds a blue lumix water camera in a black neoprene arm band down at waits give me a pm! Its probably buried under 20 tons of sand at the rivermouth sand bank by now which I now call the lumix left!

del's picture
del's picture
del Monday, 12 Mar 2012 at 11:26am

couldnt get the camera to work today.. just stayed in loading mode..

as for seabipeds camera... i lost my Olympus 8010 over on the west coast up near streaky.. thought it was a gonna.. till 20 minutes later... sun shone through a cloud.. and spotted a shinny object still in the impact zone.. duck dive down.. got my camera back!!!

what neoprene arm strap did you have?? mine had snapped my cords after 2 yrs of sea water usage..

seabiped's picture
seabiped's picture
seabiped Monday, 12 Mar 2012 at 6:39pm

what neoprene arm strap did you have?? mine had snapped my cords after 2 yrs of sea water usage..

By: "del"

I got an arm band made up with a zip pocket to put the camera in. I usually tied the camera cord to my back zipper but didnt that day thinking the surf was only small. The whole thing just slipped off my arm without me realising. I paddled around that surf bank for nearly an hour and couldnt find it, the water was clear as and not too deep. I just hope its buried so deep that it turn into a fossil, someone finding it in a million years time! Great you got yours back, well done!

oldman's picture
oldman's picture
oldman Thursday, 19 Apr 2012 at 9:14am

Some of you guys miss the point. The Middleton cam gives you a better feel for conditions down south. The cams closer to victor can be difficult to read as they mostly work better on a slightly different swell direction and a more westerly wind. With middleton cam I can get a better idea for cliffs and goolwa instead of having to make an educated guess based on victor cams.
Agree with seabiped re the surf since the drought broke. Someone told me it has to do with the la nina and el nino weather conditions. Dont know if anyone can confirm

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Thursday, 19 Apr 2012 at 12:38pm

I agree oldman. The Middleton cam give you the best idea for wave heights on the South Coast. I know what each stretch (Goolwa, Dump/Chiton, Petrels/Kings and Waits/Parsons will be like after looking at the Middleton cam.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Tuesday, 5 Jun 2012 at 1:46pm

Wasn't until we installed the Middleton surfcam that I was reminded just how many poo-brown days there are off the point and in the bay. The last two or three weeks have been incredible!

maddogmorley's picture
maddogmorley's picture
maddogmorley Tuesday, 5 Jun 2012 at 2:18pm

Does anyone know what that brown slime actually is?

It looks a bit like an algae to me as it looks too fine to be a seaweed but I'm no expert.

Seemed a little better last Friday than what it has been.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Tuesday, 5 Jun 2012 at 2:40pm

I've always been under the impression it originates from the Murray. Onshores blow it in to shore, offshores blow it back out to sea again.

old-dog's picture
old-dog's picture
old-dog Tuesday, 5 Jun 2012 at 5:33pm

Quote from Tracks in '75 "There are two surf breaks in the world that I hate and Middleton S.A. is both of them." K.B.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Tuesday, 5 Jun 2012 at 6:07pm

Maddog, it's as Ben said from the river Murray. The south-easters blow it in while the westerlies clear it out.

It's been a lot more prominent over the last two years because of the flooding rains pushing down the Murray and out into the sea. I wonder if it leads to increased secondary production with greater fish activity from all the nutrients in the water.