Surfing reserves / surfing alliances.. How do we protect our culture from the money hungry surfing industry?

zephatalien's picture
zephatalien started the topic in Tuesday, 21 Feb 2012 at 5:32pm

In relation to the exploitation of our coastlines and grassroots counter-culture is there any way to band together and stop the surf industry from growing as the monster it apparantly has already become?

When competitions and surf label companies sacrifice human well being as well as community well being (not to mention our environment), enough is enough.

Are surfing reserves the answer or are alliances such as the North West Surfers Alliance and the Mid West Surfers Alliance (in WA and SA respectively) the way to protect what matters most?

http://www.swellnet.com.au/forums/1/topics/925

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Tuesday, 21 Feb 2012 at 6:01pm

I guess surfing reserves are always a good start and will place an extra barrier in the way of development, but what powers to the alliances have besides local people power and support?

zephatalien's picture
zephatalien's picture
zephatalien Friday, 24 Feb 2012 at 4:50pm

Alliances, once incorporated then have a legal stake on any develpoment on or implicating the crown land. This is because the incorporated body has a premier intrest in the use of the crown land (beach).

Apart from that, not much.

Of course in a media campaign it will always good to be able to say "such and such alliance, comprised of X-number of surfers and beach goers oppose/support this movement by the proponents".

sidthefish's picture
sidthefish's picture
sidthefish Friday, 24 Feb 2012 at 7:44pm

zeph, relax and head down the coast a little.

more waves go unridden than ridden.

enjoy, and don't end up like rottencramps.

I grew up on the goldie, second last time I surfed my home break some guy dropped in on me and then told me to fuck off cos "he was a local"... I'd surfed the point for 20+ years, was primary school captain, and high school vice, and some motherfucker told me HE was a local.

Last time I went to my home break, I couldn't get a park.

It's a beautiful world.

Peace be within you.:)

jeff-schmucker's picture
jeff-schmucker's picture
jeff-schmucker Monday, 12 Mar 2012 at 9:44pm

amen sid the fish!!....if you lend someone 20 bucks and never see him again its not necessarily a bad thing