Port/South Hedland surfing?? Any waves??

mruhchoo's picture
mruhchoo started the topic in Thursday, 16 Feb 2012 at 12:06pm

Need to know if its worth while taking board on a move to Port hedland WA??

maddogmorley's picture
maddogmorley's picture
maddogmorley Thursday, 16 Feb 2012 at 2:51pm

I would take a board for sure. There is plenty of good surf around Exmouth which is 500km or so away. Perhaps not a great option for a before work surf but would be a good option for weekends etc. Also I suspect at times there would be something a little closer to you when the swell gets really big - perhaps between Exmouth and Karratha? Also you can do boat trips from Exmouth out to the Montebello's which has some incredible setups.

theblowin's picture
theblowin's picture
theblowin Wednesday, 22 Feb 2012 at 10:56pm

your mostly looking for cyclone swell that far east mruhchoo but waves do occur. the man made spoil bank at hedland gets fun waves at [rare] times. only surf spot in oz that i have caught barra at. other novelty waves around close also.
winds blow offshore as the cyclones approach so stay off the piss and get out there.
cooler months see a bit of swell refracting around nor west cape also. some places more than others receive this swell obviously, islands are a good start and they dont have to be too far offshore , though the further the better usually. islands even to the east and north of hedland get waves-you may be suprised. big tides can hinder or help your cause-more swell on a large incoming. watch out for tidal currents-they can be severe [6 metre tides].
but generally you will want to head south west from hedland for more consistant surf.
but take a board for sure cause you never know.have had reports from a reliable source of high quality waves in that general area in recent weeks. good luck mate.

bonker's picture
bonker's picture
bonker Thursday, 23 Feb 2012 at 3:20am

Hmmm,

I put a post up on the weekend but it got lost somewhere - anyway waves really don't happen here, sea floor is only 8m deep for 36kms out to sea (where the bulkies sit at the anchorage) so the correct tides are the key. Offshore islands fire up alot more. There is a local logadile called Elvis who patrols the lineup and they are building a stationary wave at the new south aquatic center. You can fly to Denpasar twice a week on skywest. There is you tube footage of the spoily from iggy - be warned guys were surfing pretty good for what was on offer...

Good luck, the NW is great

rail2rail's picture
rail2rail's picture
rail2rail Friday, 24 Feb 2012 at 12:25am

Mruhchoo (Bless you)...Good luck with Hedland mate! Probably one of the most unattractive places on earth, but good fun none-the-less. Bloody hot too! Like the posts above...yep, there's waves to the west during cyclone swells off the islands. Iggy produced a few no doubt.

Then there's the spoil bank. Surfed it once the day before a cyclone. Bit of fun and I remember the water was red and you couldn't see your feet. Bit weird rocking up to the petto with zinc smeared all over ya noggin and boards on the roof. But jeez...it gets bloody hot.

Like theblowin said...tides can potentially help your cause. I've actually seen waves up around Pardoo on a high tide...or maybe because it was so fucking hot it was a mirage. If ya headin' up towards Broome - only a short 600k's away, chuck your board in. You might score some fun little peaks. But yeah, Bonker was spot on...go to Bali as it's not as fucking hot there!

Good luck mate.

mrsbradpitt's picture
mrsbradpitt's picture
mrsbradpitt Friday, 6 Apr 2012 at 4:03am

bigger waves in the bathtub