Futures or FCS

rees0's picture
rees0 started the topic in Wednesday, 25 Jan 2012 at 2:57am

Putting it out there. Just ordered a new custom and have given futures a crack. Anybody got any experience with both? I like the futures box. Looks like a better connection to the board having it mount the entire base of the fin rather than just 2 points. Alot of thier fins feel really stiff however.

crustt's picture
crustt's picture
crustt Wednesday, 25 Jan 2012 at 6:40am

Been using them for 4 years, I like them, but I only have 4 finners. I like the base not being able to twist and I think there cheaper.

milney's picture
milney's picture
milney Friday, 27 Jan 2012 at 10:58am

Been using futures for a decade...find them heaps better than FCS. Used to rip fins/plugs out of FCS regularly (esp, on bottom turns), but haven't done it once with Futures. Great range of fins too...JC2 Black stix are great in solid surf.

mrsbradpitt's picture
mrsbradpitt's picture
mrsbradpitt Friday, 27 Jan 2012 at 12:32pm

Futures are definatly more sturdy as the fcs plugs seem to crack or pop out under individual pressure. as for price wise when i get a custom board they are the same price to get fcs or future set in

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Tuesday, 14 Jun 2016 at 11:33am

Gravelle surfboards facebook, Pauls views on Fcs - Futures.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Tuesday, 14 Jun 2016 at 1:19pm

Nice..

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Tuesday, 14 Jun 2016 at 3:21pm

Just noting that the fin boxes that stiffen up the flex of the tail and especially five boxes . Worthy of discussion , glass on fins would do the same and they have been known as the best and longest serving technique for fins to attach . What can be done to counteract this stiffness ? A skilled glasser could improve things a bit

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 14 Jun 2016 at 3:37pm

Isn't flex in the tail neither a positive or a negative ?

Just another attribute of any given board ?

mcsc's picture
mcsc's picture
mcsc Thursday, 16 Jun 2016 at 6:08pm
Blowin wrote:

Isn't flex in the tail neither a positive or a negative ?

Just another attribute of any given board ?

Yep.

And futures imo are better all-round. FCS2 finless system is just a pain in the ass getting them in and out. A system that requires towels and just the right pressure etc FCS could have come up with something better when their patent ran out

eel's picture
eel's picture
eel Thursday, 16 Jun 2016 at 7:02pm

FCS2 - Heard several stories of fins just falling out in the surf.

wingnut2443's picture
wingnut2443's picture
wingnut2443 Thursday, 16 Jun 2016 at 7:35pm
eel wrote:

FCS2 - Heard several stories of fins just falling out in the surf.

Seen that first hand (not me, other surfers on the water) on three different occasions now. All different guys, boards, days, but all had the same thing to say - not the first time it has happened to them either!

The one board have the FCSII plugs in, I got the grub screws and "adaptor" pack since I use the old "dual tab" fins ... if I ever get FCSII fins, I still use the grub screws. Fuck losing a $75 fin on the surf!

eel's picture
eel's picture
eel Thursday, 16 Jun 2016 at 7:38pm
wingnut2443 wrote:

Seen that first hand (not me, other surfers on the water) on three different occasions now. All different guys, boards, days, but all had the same thing to say - not the first time it has happened to them either!

The one board have the FCSII plugs in, I got the grub screws and "adaptor" pack since I use the old "dual tab" fins ... if I ever get FCSII fins, I still use the grub screws. Fuck losing a $75 fin on the surf!

Yep not worth losing expensive fins just to save 30 seconds screwing them in. FCS 'fixed' a problem that was never there. Of all the complaints i had heard surrounding the FCS 1 system, not once did I hear "Man it fucken sucks spending 30 seconds using an allen key to screw these fins in"

mcsc's picture
mcsc's picture
mcsc Thursday, 16 Jun 2016 at 7:46pm
eel wrote:
wingnut2443 wrote:

Yep not worth losing expensive fins just to save 30 seconds screwing them in. FCS 'fixed' a problem that was never there. Of all the complaints i had heard surrounding the FCS 1 system, not once did I hear "Man it fucken sucks spending 30 seconds using an allen key to screw these fins in"

FCS's 2 tab patent ran out. Screwless system was a good idea, they just screwed it up. Be interesting to note percentage of guys using futures since the change. I'm seeing quite a few

batfink's picture
batfink's picture
batfink Friday, 17 Jun 2016 at 5:24pm

Use the grub screws regardless, you'd be mad not to. Buy the adaptor pack and do it.

Prefer FCS over futures but not for any particular reason other than that I have a batch of FCS fins and seems pointless now to have to buy a whole new batch of future fins.

Surf industry friend hates putting the futures in, hates them with a passion, and this is a guy who doesn't get hating on anything.

wingnut2443's picture
wingnut2443's picture
wingnut2443 Friday, 17 Jun 2016 at 7:12pm

I've stayed with FCS too, for the same reason - huge collection of fins. Didn't want or need the cost of changing to another "system". When I started making boards a few years ago, I looked into various options, and used the 'probox' system for a while because it offered some features (adjustable cant and fore and aft movement) while still using the dual tab FCS fins I had ... the "4 way" fins system offerred more adjustments (i.e. cant, toe in, fore and aft) but required a change in fins.

I've since found the Shapers Fins range and have added to my "FCS dual tab" style fin collection. Don't see me changing systems any time soon - good thing is, since the FCS patent ran out, the plugs are cheap and various other options exist (i.e. Shapers S-Plug, Gearbox, etc)

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Friday, 17 Jun 2016 at 7:33pm

The Wasabi adaptor for Fcs fin to Futures boxes are available again.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Saturday, 18 Jun 2016 at 8:17am

Jeez that's a clever li'l invention. I was ready to whip out the digits and grab one....but $100 for a quad set?

In US dollars?

Plus shipping?

Over $150 in total. Think I'll just buy the Futures set I need off eBay and save money. 

floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd Monday, 20 Jun 2016 at 12:54pm

I've lost a FCS2 fin in the water when my foot kicked the fin in a forwards motion. FCS replaced the fin, but they had just hit the market then.

sanded's picture
sanded's picture
sanded Monday, 20 Jun 2016 at 12:50pm

The Wasabi guys were talking to us about being the Aust dist for them when they first came out, but they said the logistics were too hard at that time and would try to ship them in Australia themselves, selling a few in the US so i think the focus is there. Too much profit loss to set up over here...

By the way Futures is my choice.... IMHO

floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd Monday, 20 Jun 2016 at 12:55pm

Been a big few days of surf locally including finding myself pretty dry on a reef after dust. Only damage caused was splitting the back fin. No damage at all to the FCS2 plug nor the board so its happy days. Supporting the comments above about having strong plugs in your boards.

Gary G's picture
Gary G's picture
Gary G Tuesday, 21 Jun 2016 at 10:29am

Does anyone have any opinions on the AHS plug systems?

That's Advanced Hair Solutions, for the uninitiated.

I really want a system that will withstand my active lifestyle, and I'm not afraid of a grub screw if it will stop the things falling out in the surf or in other intimate moments

theween's picture
theween's picture
theween Tuesday, 21 Jun 2016 at 7:18pm

Can recommend AHS Gaz! A 'friend' had it done in the 70's and is still looking a $m (although that's in today's inflated prices).

wingnut2443's picture
wingnut2443's picture
wingnut2443 Wednesday, 22 Jun 2016 at 8:46am

Hey Sanded, why Futures over FCS, or FCSII? What about the 4 way system, or gearbox?

mcsc's picture
mcsc's picture
mcsc Wednesday, 22 Jun 2016 at 4:02pm

I've been told that's how the fcs2 fin system should react when the fin hits sand / rocks etc. I've just never seen it work properly before your photos.

Futures or old 2 Tabs

floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd Wednesday, 22 Jun 2016 at 6:42pm

Ouch ....

sanded's picture
sanded's picture
sanded Friday, 24 Jun 2016 at 12:58pm

Hey Wingnut

We stock Gearbox as well as Futures as we feel their the 2 best systems around, ease of install vs strength, plus they support backyard builders in Oz. FCS is a good system, just for our customers a repair is a lot easier with Gearbox and Futures, for a backyardie to do themselves.

IMHO I like the feel of the Futures and Gearbox has some amazing fin styles for alternative boards!

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Friday, 24 Jun 2016 at 1:23pm

Didn't know Futures did a oval leggie plug ..are they popular have never seen one on a board.