West Island Left

zambezi's picture
zambezi started the topic in Thursday, 19 Jan 2012 at 6:04am

Has the heaving left hander which breaks off the tip of West Island on the Fleurieau Peninsula ever been surfed ? I've heard stories of Wayne Lynch surfing it back in the 70's and Tom Carroll in more recent times. Can anyone confirm this ?

victor's picture
victor's picture
victor Wednesday, 14 Mar 2012 at 6:04pm

old dog know that spot well,surfed it back in 1975 as a grom ,checked and surfed it many times over a 20 yr period in every possible cond ,huge swells, huge s/w storms e.t.c. on the maxin swells a outer reef comes in to play about 150 mts from regular take off spot,it holds anything...15mins by ski from launch area........big big big white territory. 1 or 2 days a year you would get west coast 6/10 quality.........check your nautical charts boys theres another spot within 5 ks in much deeper water that only breaks for an hour between tide changes ???????

lpt's picture
lpt's picture
lpt Wednesday, 14 Mar 2012 at 6:17pm

@ Zambezi- have you got any shots in your collection of Seal rocks/ The indicator?

Figured you may have taken a walk to Granite island at some point to take a few snaps.

Have heard first hand from a group of local boogers that they surfed it a couple of times, around the 2000 mark. Anyone have photos or first hand experience?

zambezi's picture
zambezi's picture
zambezi Wednesday, 14 Mar 2012 at 7:26pm

@lpt,

I've only got a few shots of Seal Rocks, which, were taken, long range, from our house. They are not very good, but, here they are.

I did the "Big Duck" boat tour a few weeks ago which was a hoot. The skipper, Dan Irvine, has surfed the Seal Rocks left. Described it as spooky. Dan, If you're following this thread, how about giving us a first hand account ?

Photobucket

Photobucket

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Wednesday, 14 Mar 2012 at 7:31pm

Holy shit, that second photo must have been on a solid day.

jeff-schmucker's picture
jeff-schmucker's picture
jeff-schmucker Wednesday, 14 Mar 2012 at 8:07pm

i thought you knew everythn dwn here ben....i'm serious....it exists and you even couldnt conjour up the condish for this thing!!!xx

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Wednesday, 14 Mar 2012 at 8:25pm

Jeff, here are the clues you've left (in your own words):

"I will surf before i die a flawless wave which breaks down there very occasionally"
"i know that you dont know about it because the last time it broke there were 3 guys out and it was smokn for 2 days"
"which means i know of a wave in your backyard that is sik and worth drivn from streaky to surf"

Could be anything from a point to a slab to a beachie to an island. Could be a left or a right. Could be a peak. Could be only accessible by boat, could be a three hour hike-in. Could be just about anything.

Could be a hoax.

I'm not convinced such a wave exists down there, but I'd love you to prove me wrong.

And by the way, I'm hardly the Victor expert. Sure, I surfed there regularly for a long time but there are many other commentators in this thread alone who have done much more hard yards on the South Coast - or any other coast in South Oz for that matter - than me.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Wednesday, 14 Mar 2012 at 8:28pm

PS.. biggest clue you left that it doesn't exist:

"the last time it broke ... it was smokn for 2 days"

Victor has NEVER pumped for two consecutive days.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Wednesday, 14 Mar 2012 at 8:28pm

:D

jeff-schmucker's picture
jeff-schmucker's picture
jeff-schmucker Thursday, 15 Mar 2012 at 1:17am

i soften relatively easy ben as you know....but this one has 'honour,danger,passion,hardwork' attached to it!!! sneakn around troubridge shoal- marion reef as i write this..hmmmmm i like the look of this joint on a 226-232 [email protected] the way ben i'll take this oppurtunity to thankyou publicly for teaching me and opening my eyes to a large portion of what i know about the way she all comes together!! so thanks!
ps. would a bullshit artist run a profile shot like mine?

fraser-gordon's picture
fraser-gordon's picture
fraser-gordon Thursday, 15 Mar 2012 at 9:57am

Great shots again zambezi love the perspective of all your photo's mate.The last shot of seal rocks was last years swell yeah?The only time I've been out there was with Tommy .V and Samboy in Tommy's tinny suss area to surf.There was a huge school of salmon circling the reef while the lads surfed the righthander so we pulled the pin and started following the school around the break having a few casts we lost sight of them and then when we caught back up to them there seemed to be a few of the salmon starting to float around in halves.The right is a good shaped wave and on solid swells would be great fun.Now down here as soon as whale season starts which is whenever the beasts rock up the whole of Encounter bay is in lock down with the use of jet skis and thats from Cape Jervis to the Murray mouth.This is in the prime swell period for us down here.Hefty fines of over a $1000 a pop which is a bummer.All this talk of this mysto wave is all very interesting indeed.

angrybrigade's picture
angrybrigade's picture
angrybrigade Thursday, 15 Mar 2012 at 1:39pm

fisho spot out to sea further south towards vic, maybe? bud muffin township

jeff-schmucker's picture
jeff-schmucker's picture
jeff-schmucker Thursday, 15 Mar 2012 at 10:19pm

fraser good ta see ya doin ya homework....unca schmuck is well aware of the ski closure...AB tried to go tow west last year and chickened out at the sign of a $1200 fine...east of jervis is good....bring an apple for the teacher tmoz....oh and dont star a forum on wave that havnt been surfed on the the west coast coz unca ben will run out of internet.. yyeeew

jeff-schmucker's picture
jeff-schmucker's picture
jeff-schmucker Monday, 19 Mar 2012 at 2:30pm

you flueriu boys are quiet???? getn ready for the big south too?? "that wave" may be on....talk of the scraper too!! yeeeeow hope ya getn pitted come daylight satday!!

old-dog's picture
old-dog's picture
old-dog Monday, 19 Mar 2012 at 6:27pm

So Schmucker you stirrer where the kennel are you now? Im convinced "that wave" is a figment of your over active imagination because if it existed you surely would have exposed it by now.Since when do you keep secrets?

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Monday, 19 Mar 2012 at 7:59pm

Gonna be size for everywhere early Sat!!

barley's picture
barley's picture
barley Monday, 19 Mar 2012 at 8:57pm

what about winds craigos? looks a bit shit

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Monday, 19 Mar 2012 at 9:08pm

Yeah not the best. Outside chance for an early W'ly around Victor Harbor but everywhere else will be SW..

jeff-schmucker's picture
jeff-schmucker's picture
jeff-schmucker Tuesday, 20 Mar 2012 at 12:39am

old dog....you dont know me very well if you think i would have exposed it by now?? whoa...do you rekn i'm in a rush to expose everything i can?? ....if only you and a few more of my critics have any idea of whats gone down in over 3000 hrs on skis over the last 10 years ....we have seen some amazing stuff and not even half of it has reached a forum like swellnet for knackers to complain a bout....the wave exists....a few of you guys dont seem to want it to....juz tryn to keep the stoke in surfin....i'm gunna try to surf it...hope to see ya there.

lpt's picture
lpt's picture
lpt Tuesday, 20 Mar 2012 at 7:02am

Smuck's, I hope the wave does exist & if it does hope it stays as myth to most of the SA surfing population- so those that have put in the hard work can enjoy crowd free.

whether it exists or not i don't think's the important thing, but the fact that its got people thinking about possibilities is the real win.

In this day of the ease of the whole interwebz thingy and kids being able to upload GPS co-ords to forums from their phones, anything that can be done to maintain some secrecy around little known spots needs to be upheld.

Gone are the days of rabbit eared topographical maps, long walks and stacking piles of rocks to mark a turn off- gone is the sense of adventure to most.

@ Craig- winds look better with a few hours drive and some mexican food, if you get my drift.

jeff-schmucker's picture
jeff-schmucker's picture
jeff-schmucker Tuesday, 20 Mar 2012 at 8:12am

hmmm mexico ipt?? yeah itd be worth the drive...wind be west there and its the swell for sure if we talkn the same.....i like the debate about blowing out waves ipt...dunno if i agree that things are blown out too much tho...not on the westcoast tho....cactus is and always wil be the most crowded juz coz it is what it is...go further west and itll be the same i rekn forever...i have surfed and driven the coast roads fishn all my life and its less crowded now than it was in the 80's....the island and blax on there days are busier but the vibe has changed...generally the young lads are all havn a good time now wher as years ago ther was more cold shoulder goin on....future looks bright and fun to me...yeeeeow....go east thisweekend young man!!

fraser-gordon's picture
fraser-gordon's picture
fraser-gordon Tuesday, 20 Mar 2012 at 10:49am

Big swell coming pity about the winds at least the waters still warm.Looking to be a touch smaller than last years swell for here.The 5hr drive for burrittos sounds the go pity its the weekend.Hopefully this swell will give the beaches a shake up they certainly need it.I wonder if we can break the record for people at the pines?I might just go paddle out at the same spot as last year 3 times in 20 yrs not bad?

lpt's picture
lpt's picture
lpt Tuesday, 20 Mar 2012 at 11:10am

@fraser gordon- bustin out the 8 footer?

ben-colyer's picture
ben-colyer's picture
ben-colyer Tuesday, 20 Mar 2012 at 11:52am

about a lifetime ago I picked up a few mates and headed off to Puerto while looking at similar weather maps. We got there to see perfect minature lines and 2 kids punch the crap out of each other, over the 1 foot swell on offer.
Skunked. Headed home having missed any stormy on offer at home.

Won't be heading there this weekend as much as I'd like to.

fraser-gordon's picture
fraser-gordon's picture
fraser-gordon Tuesday, 20 Mar 2012 at 1:06pm

@lpt Simon K just dropped Scottys old 7'6 for me to pack up and send over to Matty might give it a send off before she goes over west.Matty's going to take her to Gland with kingsy brown.Solid swell by the looks might be the cleanest option other than the pines good tide early arvo maybe dry reef on the high, moderating wind fingers crossed.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Tuesday, 20 Mar 2012 at 1:20pm

The more south in the swell the better for the Mexican spot, and this swell will be more SW around there so I'd expect a bit of size lost. In saying this will be bigger than 1ft for sure!

lpt's picture
lpt's picture
lpt Tuesday, 20 Mar 2012 at 1:50pm

@ Fraser gordon- maybe gobble gobble Turkey run? I'll give you a call if I can free myself up for an early morning bolt/daytrip to grab some Quesadillas and check out donkeys painted as zebras.

@ Craig- winds down there forecasted for WNW early, would think it'll be more fun than solid, but might be worth dodging the weirdo kneeboarders and keeping a couple of extra spares in the rig- been some stories of the local tourist commission taking to tyres.

old-dog's picture
old-dog's picture
old-dog Tuesday, 20 Mar 2012 at 6:46pm

Schmucks, Im not a critic, I cant even imagine what you and the boy have seen and ridden and can only look on with envy,to me it seems like a waste if no one records and documents some of the world class spots in S.A. That contest of yours at the bombie blew minds everywhere. That VB session made puerto Escondido look like kiddies corner and was BS, Lets face it how many crew have the knackers to surf these spots no-how. Any plans for shippies or "the right"or is that another level for crazy kamakazis only?Might see you at G......???

zambezi's picture
zambezi's picture
zambezi Tuesday, 20 Mar 2012 at 7:36pm

Heres hoping for Saturday.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

jeff-schmucker's picture
jeff-schmucker's picture
jeff-schmucker Tuesday, 20 Mar 2012 at 8:36pm

ha no wuz u ol dog!! ya i gotta go to shippies for look....the boys from there hav been over a lot and they are such a wiked crew to hang with and love their surfn...josiah had a wild trip to shippies and got some mad ones and got belted too i might add...he got one crazy step into a massive pit which was worth the trip...he's done well at OURS and chopes as well....unbelievable what he has seen and anyone will attest that he's a delight to have in the water on any givn day....musta been his mums side showing thru.....the bommie comp was alltime ay...amazing that the day was still the best ever out there and it happened for the comp.....i liked kelly slaters comments about it when he seen it!! "thats the future of surfing right there" he said.....pretty cool day!!
josiah is frothn for the 'right ' but its probably the furtherest wave from home in the countryso we havnt been there yet....although we have flown from cape arid in the east to hopetown in the west searching for waves and yes we saw about 6 bommies that all looked rideable.... if only the bank acc looked better!!

fraser-gordon's picture
fraser-gordon's picture
fraser-gordon Wednesday, 21 Mar 2012 at 9:37am

Swell seems to be dropping out for Sat.peaking Fri night.

ben-colyer's picture
ben-colyer's picture
ben-colyer Wednesday, 21 Mar 2012 at 11:48am

Swell can't be as good as predicted at Victor. I'd suggest that the further South East you head the bigger the swell. Stronger winds will also there. Might be some novelty spots come to life and still be clean in a few SE locations.

zambezi's picture
zambezi's picture
zambezi Thursday, 22 Mar 2012 at 8:49pm

I keep checking the charts and running the models, but, geez, I reckon we are going to be disappointed. The Alley might get some protection from the wind ??? Maybe Chickens ??? If it is good, It's going to be a short window.

Photobucket

I forgot this spot.

jeff-schmucker's picture
jeff-schmucker's picture
jeff-schmucker Thursday, 22 Mar 2012 at 10:04pm

That spot is gunna have some small sik ones you guys....thermal has worn out google lookn for it!!

samurai81's picture
samurai81's picture
samurai81 Friday, 23 Mar 2012 at 10:30pm

A lot of SA plated cars over mexico, only to get skunked!!

spunoutatagneswaters's picture
spunoutatagneswaters Saturday, 24 Mar 2012 at 10:49am

I know Chicken Run was named for a good reason guys, but recently in South Oz with my partner, we took a walk around the point. I know it usually trickles, but it is an epic setup, has anyone got seriously good footage of it they can post?? On the subject of odd surfing locations, years ago I saw seriously fun lefts breaking in a mega stormy next to the Rapid Bay Jetty, anyone got a comment on that?(sorry guys I watched only, the place reeked of shark risk, I was alone, the substantial crowd at 'M' was less scary). No-one has posted a pic of West Island surfed yet as far as I can tell, I never saw anyone venture across in my years in SA. Anyone just been axed by their soulmate? Do the paddle with a photog present, even if you don't paddle back, it could still be named after ya! Soz I had to bail for warmer waters guys, I think I pulled on an ice-cold wettie, in the old corrugated dunny at Hallet's one too many times in winter! The dunny's since gone, but the old concrete changing room at Middleton Cove still stands, needs to be heritage listed...

old-dog's picture
old-dog's picture
old-dog Saturday, 24 Mar 2012 at 8:23pm

Chicken Run looks like a classic little Qld point setup but is at best a piece of crap, every body seems to go through a kook stage and surf it,not worth the short walk.Surfed Rapid Bay a few times in the early days,waste of time don't bother.Funny how everyone gets all excited about big swells at Victor and then drives around looking at novelty spots only to end up sorting through rubbish at the Dump with a cast of thousands.To get class waves on that coast dont you need small swell and good banks West of Victor?

mundies's picture
mundies's picture
mundies Saturday, 24 Mar 2012 at 8:39pm

Spunoutatagneswaters - I hear you re bailing for warmer waters. Grew up surfing Halletts and "Dunnies" - little left point (sort of) named after a toilet. Prime conditions often involves hail. Feet get so cold that you cant feel them getting worked on the rocks. Having the key to the surf life saving club and hot showers was gold back in the day. Now living on north coast NSW. My folks have a place overlooking the Dump, sent me a text this morning saying they counted 70 surfers out there! I surfed this morning in boardies with 1 mate - done my time surfing freezing waves named after toilets and what you do in them....
Deep creek was always fun for a bit of a mish, got back there over xmas, wasnt too bad...

spunoutatagneswaters Sunday, 25 Mar 2012 at 9:20am

Old Dog, it seems too tragic that Chicken's never gets good. I can't say I ever road tested it on a giant swell, but if it can't pull up a metre of swell at best, it can only be taken as a curse from Huey from the dreamtime era. It would be interesting if anyone can lay on footage to prove that Chicken's is capable of breaking in a dignified way. Mundies, thanks for your comments on sharing the winter memories of tackling 'dunnies' in a howling S'Westerley. Once and only once did I experience the break on a freak summer SW gale, in comparitive warmth. It was wierd being able to leave Hallet's with full use of my limbs to drive!!Cheers guys...

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Sunday, 25 Mar 2012 at 9:26am

I've actually managed to surf a couple of metro locations (Halletts, Brighton Jetty, West Beach) on small clean groundswells. The south side of the Boat Harbour in particular had an interesting rebound for a few months (circa '02/03-ish) that produced a nice little wedge - boosting a knee-waist high line of swell up to chest-shoulder high on the face.

mundies's picture
mundies's picture
mundies Sunday, 25 Mar 2012 at 1:07pm

Ben, yes I can recall a few rare waist height groundswells surfing dunnies good fun. But its the usual Adelaide surfers lament "if only....." (insert lament eg if only KI wasnt there, if only it was a foot or two bigger, if only I was at Yorkes/west etc...). But still not too bad I guess being only 20km or so from the CBD. Halletts has a couple of other novelty waves, one we named 3rd fence up along the cliffs towards Stanvac, and a couple of spots at the other end of the beach. First time I recall getting barrelled was kneeling on a nippers clubbie racing board at sheidows as a little nipper/grom riding into the boat ramp, if I caught the same wave today I'd probably be lucky to fit more than the bottom half of my shin in it.
Spunoutatagneswaters - those summer sou'westers were often the best, seemed to more consistently actually have some swell behind it rather than pure wind chop. Plus not as cold of course...

spunoutatagneswaters Sunday, 25 Mar 2012 at 6:27pm

Guys, In my Adelaide surfing years, I picked all over the Fleurieu Peninsula, sometimes with my buddies, turning up some very quirky locations. I saw and surfed douable waves probably 3-4 times at Marino Rocks right on the point/car park area. We found four small beaches between Parsons and Tunkalilla Beach, they were so awkward to get to through unwelcoming farms, I never fully checked them out. The second we called 'Calla's' think it was Callawonga, could produce a small, fun right hander, broke into the mouth of the creek. I never got on to Tunkalilla Beach in all that time,it's actually at least as long as the full length of Waits. Used to be a sign at the gate (down a long track) saying 'go past this point, and we shoot first, ask questions later'. So Tunks stayed a mystery to me, can you get there now, anyone got dirt on it? Is 'Tunk Heads' only a fable? The list of Fleurieu 'nov spots' is far from exhausted yet. I'm ok with just Agnes guys, related to 'Agnes Water' not a sexual identity issue, 'Agnes'

mr-mysto's picture
mr-mysto's picture
mr-mysto Sunday, 25 Mar 2012 at 7:31pm

Chi-clops doing its thing (props to Wanna Surf)

mysto

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Sunday, 25 Mar 2012 at 7:36pm

Chicken Run is a hoax and it only takes a couple of disappointing surfs to realise it.

I've had one day out there though where the odd one would actually wall up into the middle of Bashams but then it was only good enough to get speed and then cut back into the pocket.

Saw images and footage from the Alley this swell and to call that a wave is 50/50. If the wave barrels and the closes out down the line nearly every wave I don't think you can call it a proper wave, but then that's what the whole coast is about.. "Almost waves"

Also I see the sand from Knights has been absolutely taken away with rocks all the way to the cliffs. Crazy!

mundies's picture
mundies's picture
mundies Sunday, 25 Mar 2012 at 8:43pm

Oh fuck, computer just swallowed about 300 words... Summary - spunout: sheepies was fun when young, some epic waves many snapped boards and dud walks across prickle and snake infested farm. Next beach over little right wedge but fickle as a pickle and you'd have to be tripping, bent, or both to spend much time chasing it. Tunks has its moments, 3rd rate reef and triple up shorey at times with generally closeout pits in the middle of the beach. I have seen pics from tunks a fair bit lately in surf media but based on what I've seen and ridden of the place most of these barrel shots would probably end in quick shallow closeouts. Read in an earlier thread someone calling the Fleurieu the "Almost Coast".
Just got back from a BBQ, coupla Chilenos and mates who regularly surfed Chile and lived there 4-5 months of the year. Had a little photo preview. Was there in 2010 with my wife whose family is from Chile and surfed round Pichilemu and surrounds. Now there is a coast with realised potential - the "Most Coast"....

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Sunday, 25 Mar 2012 at 9:21pm

Agree with ya Mundies. It's a lot more miss than hit in that neck of the woods.

spunoutatagneswaters, I've walked to all of those breaks too and they're super fickle but there is a lot of potential. Just like everywhere else down south though.

I think that's the thing that gets to most people - the amount of legwork done for mediocre waves. It's hard to keep going back to places so hard to reach after a dozen consecutive skunkings due to no banks, funky winds or wrong tides.

Installing the Middleton cam a little while ago has reminded me of just how shithouse it really is. For the last eight years I've lived interstate, I've tried to reflect positively on the half decent sessions I had there over the years. Now the reality is all coming back to me!

mr-mysto's picture
mr-mysto's picture
mr-mysto Sunday, 25 Mar 2012 at 10:39pm

I went exploring on a day when i took these shots at parsons,
there are more locations that hold quality big waves (2 or 3 times a year)
dont give up on the coast there are more pits outside of the cockletrain stretch,
Ive found an old tracks that has a section on "bull terriors" ill scan it up

cool read guys

fraser-gordon's picture
fraser-gordon's picture
fraser-gordon Monday, 26 Mar 2012 at 9:37am

Ha Mysto may be the first photo of the turkey run and nice photos of parsons, what no one out?Love those big lefts off the point.Ha ha Jeffs wave is true wa ha ha.

ben-colyer's picture
ben-colyer's picture
ben-colyer Monday, 26 Mar 2012 at 4:12pm

Here is a little rock hopper for you all with a Chicken fetish.

Sounds like there are a few Chicken haters out there too. Too bad I say. Go out there with a cruisy attitude and be prepared to rip a fin or two out and there can be some fun rides. It's never going to be West Island, so don't expect it to be.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Monday, 26 Mar 2012 at 4:49pm

If it did that (pic above) for more than 30m then it'd be worthwhile!

jeff-schmucker's picture
jeff-schmucker's picture
jeff-schmucker Monday, 26 Mar 2012 at 4:54pm

she gospel fraser....gee you guys really are lucky that you can put up shots and talk about different waves down there without fear of rejection from your peers...anyways cheers for all the shots lads...dunno if the scraper qualifys for floorio but ab and cupl lads towed that on friday...bit shifty 10ft...mission to ride the ski across the channel to ki...an hour of pounding....end of the day ya goota take ya hat off to that comittment and dedication....wind was a bit too south....saw a few adelaide boys at blax last night...they were all smiln and let us tow the arvo away with no paddlers...thanx fellas!!!