porugal or morroco

mackadog's picture
mackadog started the topic in Sunday, 8 Jan 2012 at 12:14pm

Going to england in may breaking up trip with surf trip with family in late may know its not peak season but still want to get waves what is the best chance of getting shacked portugal or morocco????

maddogmorley's picture
maddogmorley's picture
maddogmorley Tuesday, 10 Jan 2012 at 4:55am

Been to both and it really depends on how much time you have.

If you have a lot of time Morocco is unbelievable both in and out of the water. Hardly anyone surfs and the waves are insane. You do need a car though to get to a lot of the spots (which are not easy to find and are usually on dirt tracks) but the insurance for the car and visa for you can be a nightmare. If you don't have much time but still want to go to Morocco go straight to Taghazout where it's all on your doorstep.

Surfing in Portugal is a lot more accessible. Once again if time was limited I would go straight to Peniche and surf Supertubos but if you have time there are a ton of good options up and down the coast.

waxer's picture
waxer's picture
waxer Thursday, 12 Jan 2012 at 9:13am

Same as Maddog, I've also been to both, and all i can say is I'm jealous. Love both, and can't wait till i get back there. Waves are good, but the people, the food,the vibe from everything is even better.
Keep us unfortunates back here up to speed with how you go.

mowgli's picture
mowgli's picture
mowgli Saturday, 14 Jan 2012 at 10:59pm

i was in morocco this time last year and it was the business. I can't wait to get back there. Sooooooooooo many setups with zero people in the water or on land. But you definitely need a car because some of the peninsulas are quite big. I only hung around Taghazout but from what I researched and the people I met theres some epic uncrowded waves further south in an area called South Sahara I think.

As for Portugal I went there but didnt get a chance to surf because the weather was atrocious (I was on a backpacking trip round europe beginning in maroc).

But from what people told me the winds aren't so great in maroc mid-year. But if u like I have a friend who has been based in Taghazout the last 2 seasons so I can ask her what she thinks about the surf in May?

niega's picture
niega's picture
niega Sunday, 15 Jan 2012 at 12:18am

My 2 cents:
May? Forget Morocco and stick to Portugal.
May hardly sees any major swells in the North Atlantic and that's what you want for Morocco.
Besides it's very often on-shore all day long so late in Spring.
You might not score anything epic in Portugal either, but it should better than Morocco in May.

And the 3rd cent: you are going to be in the Uk, aren't you? 3 days before leaving the UK check magicseaweed or windguru and go where it looks best. It could be shit in portugal too and epic in Hossegor or Ireland or Sctoland, or Spain, os Canary Isl (unlikely this late in the season but...).
From London you have hundreds of daily flights to all these destinations and a 3 day forecast is accurate enough.

Good luck!

Niegà

mrsbradpitt's picture
mrsbradpitt's picture
mrsbradpitt Wednesday, 18 Jan 2012 at 2:19pm

go to cornwall. best break in europe