Vanuatu

blanche's picture
blanche started the topic in Thursday, 8 May 2014 at 7:44pm

Gday
Heading to Vanuatu in August with the family. Anyone know what to expect surfwise that time of year there?

blanche's picture
blanche's picture
blanche Saturday, 10 May 2014 at 7:33am

Anyone been there????

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Saturday, 10 May 2014 at 6:09pm

Yeah... Me say nothing ;)

blanche's picture
blanche's picture
blanche Sunday, 11 May 2014 at 8:33am

Gee, thanks.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Sunday, 11 May 2014 at 10:24am

Blanche, at least you got a response...... From someone...... If you can read between the lines, then obviously there is something worth surfing..... I could've written "you're wasting your time".....
Check out "wannasurf".... Has a few spots near port villa... Then look at a map of the other islands... Think about "swell windows", swell directions, and when those swells occur season wise.....

blanche's picture
blanche's picture
blanche Sunday, 11 May 2014 at 10:55am

Thanks mate.

greyhound's picture
greyhound's picture
greyhound Sunday, 11 May 2014 at 5:26pm

Hi Blanche. Been there a few times . Twice for work and once with the miss's. I think it was around November though. take your shorty only. Head for breakas beach resort. There's a wave out front , a beach break style reef setup a few hundred meters south and pango point another 800 meters or so south of that. I've never had it going off, but it was fun. Nice warm clean water..friendly locals, I took a couple of my old boards and left them with local kids who really appreciated them. Had dugongs swimming around in the line up to which was pretty crazy.. Breakas point and pango can get pretty nasty on low tide. Reef is really sharp . A bit windy at times to. I'd like to see it if cloud break was solid. A big east coast low might get the place going. Keep an eye on the fiji forecasts before you go.
Have fun.

gdh's picture
gdh's picture
gdh Sunday, 11 May 2014 at 5:38pm

An island in the Pacific surrounded by coral reefs and the odd beach - nah, no surf there...
As Sheepdog has kindly submitted, there is some info to be gleaned from ye olde internet. Take a board (or two), you may be surprised.

thelostclimber's picture
thelostclimber's picture
thelostclimber Sunday, 11 May 2014 at 5:43pm

if no ones going to help you, at least have a look at wannasurf.com

blanche's picture
blanche's picture
blanche Sunday, 11 May 2014 at 8:20pm

Thanks guys.