Coral rash/ scraps, open wounds- Bali

bmjgiles's picture
bmjgiles started the topic in Monday, 10 Oct 2011 at 1:54am

Hey all, just wondering if anyone has some good methods on treating coral injuries in bali, everyone talks about infection you get, no doubt myself along with a few of the boys will stack. we are hitting up mentawais if thats any help?

Thanks heaps everyone.

fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21 Monday, 10 Oct 2011 at 2:58am

bmjgiles,

I always have fresh limes on the boat on the GBR. And they are also plentiful in Indo. I have not had one infection yet from numerous reef cuts and recommend it to anyone.

Squeeze a fresh cut lime onto and into the cut/graze. It stings like all fuck but sure as hell beats an infection that will stop a trip. Do it ASAP after hitting the reef.

thelostclimber's picture
thelostclimber's picture
thelostclimber Monday, 10 Oct 2011 at 4:23am

I'll back that up. I have had some reasonable coral scrapes in the past and straight away squeeze lime juice all over it. the acid neutralises the alkaline in the coral and basically turns it into salt.

never been infected using this method.

donweather's picture
donweather's picture
donweather Thursday, 13 Oct 2011 at 2:39am

I'll 3rd that!!! Limes are the shizz.....but feck me, they sting like feck!!! If it's a big back graze, recommend a bottle of rum (drink) prior to lime application!!! ;)

bmjgiles's picture
bmjgiles's picture
bmjgiles Thursday, 13 Oct 2011 at 9:59pm

thats sweet_ thanks heaps for the heads up, il raid coles before i head over to bali then. and maybe dan murphys for the rum... sounds like its gonna sting.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Thursday, 13 Oct 2011 at 10:27pm

Erm, you do know you can't take fruit overseas? Grab them locally when you get there.