Steamers...

lawsy's picture
lawsy started the topic in Tuesday, 20 Sep 2011 at 11:36pm

Why is everyone still wearing them? I am in Syd and am finally glad I don't need it - It's too restrictive and I had a surf on Saturday and Sunday (Yes in the wind) without it and it was so much better.

Free yourselves...

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Tuesday, 20 Sep 2011 at 11:51pm

Know the feeling lawsy. I surfed two weeks ago on the Northern Beaches in boardies! Wasn't anywhere near as bad as I thought it'd be; I lasted an hour or so. However there wasn't any wind - if there had been, I wouldn't have lasted much more than ten minutes I reckon.

donweather's picture
donweather's picture
donweather Wednesday, 21 Sep 2011 at 12:39am

Water temps are diving thanks the barrage of N/NE winds!!!

ben-colyer's picture
ben-colyer's picture
ben-colyer Wednesday, 21 Sep 2011 at 3:01am

Over here you'd be mad not to. It's still only 13 or 14 c.

Surfs I've had over east mid winter have only ever needed a spring suit. Water's bloody lovely over there.

brendo's picture
brendo's picture
brendo Wednesday, 21 Sep 2011 at 10:36am

lots of w winds and the water is the coldest it's been all winter it seems from the upswelling of cold currents lately. Maybe in October I'll don the springy :)

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Wednesday, 21 Sep 2011 at 9:02pm

I agree Brendo, temps have cooled with the recent nor-easters.

I would definitely freeze after 20 minutes if I paddled out in boardies at the moment. I reckon December is when you can start cranking the boardies without getting cold at all.

nickg's picture
nickg's picture
nickg Friday, 23 Sep 2011 at 12:51am

i'd guess that most folks wearing a steamer at the moment want to keep warm. just a guess.

more reasons to wear a steamer in spring/summer-
a) protection from the sun;
b) protection from blueys;
c) keep muscles flexible (warm), aid blood flow to extremities and reduce likelihood of injury;
d) stay in the surf longer i.e. over 2 hours;
e) in Syd region, the water is actually as cold (if not colder) now than during the depths of winter.
f) modern wetties are so soft/flexible that it "feels like i'm wearing nothing at all!".