Uluwatu Heaven or Hell?

richardwavemore's picture
richardwavemore started the topic in Friday, 22 Jul 2011 at 9:42am

Here we are back in high season. An early morning surf on the West coast and an afternoon session at Ulu's drove home that it really is that crazy busy time of year. And not just on the streets; the water is somewhat overpopulated to say the least. Which wouldn't be a problem if everyone remembered why they're there: to surf.

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Sunday, 8 Apr 2012 at 9:45am

Here we are back in high season. An early morning surf on the West coast and an afternoon session at Ulu's drove home that it really is that crazy busy time of year. And not just on the streets; the water is somewhat overpopulated to say the least. Which wouldn't be a problem if everyone remembered why they're there: to surf.

By: "richardwavemore"

I feel your pain

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Sunday, 8 Apr 2012 at 9:56am

Haven't surfed the Bukit for years, i can't even bare to see whats happened out there with places like dreamland and ullus, then when i see those classic pics you see of bingin in the foreground, looking up to padang padang and ullus and i can see 50+ guys out at impossibles, i almost cry, such a frustrating average wave that no one even use to surf, i dont even want to know what the crowds are like at the world class waves.

Bali is a nice place, but for me its just a stop over point to go somewhere else.

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Sunday, 8 Apr 2012 at 10:06am

You can still get uncrowded wave, but it takes alot of effort

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Sunday, 8 Apr 2012 at 10:23am

You can still get uncrowded wave, but it takes alot of effort

By: "shaun"

Yeah i have heard that from guys that live there, but you guys can have them, id rather surf places in Indo that are more like Bali was 20 years ago.

mrsbradpitt's picture
mrsbradpitt's picture
mrsbradpitt Saturday, 14 Apr 2012 at 9:39pm

bali is mad i go there every year to top up on bintang singlets and get my hair braided and go to the bounty ship cause its what mad doggs do.

jeff-schmucker's picture
jeff-schmucker's picture
jeff-schmucker Sunday, 15 Apr 2012 at 12:10am

shaun and pitt are u seriuos?

mrsbradpitt's picture
mrsbradpitt's picture
mrsbradpitt Sunday, 15 Apr 2012 at 8:17pm

i heard about this heaps good uncrowded beach break called padmas... not excatly sure where is it but im hearing great things. crystal clear water and beautiful white sand. whats not to love?

non-local's picture
non-local's picture
non-local Monday, 16 Apr 2012 at 7:47am

It is a bit populated at the moment in Bali, but if you can surf you can get waves, just not that many.....hahahaha
Love the place and when a decent swell hits it gets back to normal out on the Bukit.

some_guy's picture
some_guy's picture
some_guy Monday, 16 Apr 2012 at 2:54pm

i'm doing my first bali surf trip next month - boat charter - fingers crossed we can avoid some crowds by travelling by water.

reecen's picture
reecen's picture
reecen Monday, 16 Apr 2012 at 5:14pm

ha ha ha, "but if you can surf you can get waves, just not that many.....hahahaha"
It is funny to watch when there are a hundred hellmen in the water at ulus when it is 6 foot all vying for the position of top rooster, then it bumps up to 8 foot and everyone magically evaporates (or descends on Padang).

non-local's picture
non-local's picture
non-local Tuesday, 17 Apr 2012 at 7:26am

then when they get to Padang they seem to not go the sets, seen it so many times. A hundred hell men isn't actually what you get though, you get 10 hell men and 90 decoy's who think that they are hell men, but it is no different to anywhere that has surf and a population these days. One thing that is good over there is that there is a pecking order and it is enforced by the locals, so if you don't be a dickhead and respect the locals by starting up conversation with them you will actually have a much better surf, be happy in the land of the gods and you will surprisingly end up with a lot of good waves.
Heaven or Hell is up to you, it all depends on your headspace at the time.

zephatalien's picture
zephatalien's picture
zephatalien Tuesday, 17 Apr 2012 at 4:22pm

Heaven but that reef is SHARP and ends in hell. Would've been nice to travel 20-30-40 years ago, would rather travel to other places now I've seen and surfed it. There's a few lefts I know that are EMPTY and while don't break as big as 'temples' still are hollow as you need :)