Nike and surfing? JUST DONT!

fishheadsushi's picture
fishheadsushi started the topic in Saturday, 11 Jun 2011 at 7:55am

Is anybody else nauseated by Nike's current interest in Action sport? (extreme \m/) I mean I knew they owned surf associated brands, but the commercial I saw the other day was just something else.

For a community dominantly anti-capitalist/establishment, this is a sickening liaison. The surf industry big wigs might not be the most socially conscious, but Nike is Hitler.

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Saturday, 11 Jun 2011 at 8:18am

ripurl quicksilver billabong nike addidas there all multi national company's all owned by non surfers so why is nike any worse?

smokeweazel's picture
smokeweazel's picture
smokeweazel Saturday, 11 Jun 2011 at 12:09pm

since when was billaquickrip anticapitalist sushihead?

fishheadsushi's picture
fishheadsushi's picture
fishheadsushi Sunday, 12 Jun 2011 at 4:42am

Yes they are multi-national companies (quikripabong), and they have used a similar business strategy buying up the alternative brands that you 'identify' with.

But comparisons putting them in the same league as Nike? that's laughable.

I don't care how much prize money they inject for the celebrity surfing fraternity, Nike is down right evil. If you need an explanation, google - 'why nike is evil'

The big 3 were formed by surfers and to my knowledge they are still involved to this day?

You misunderstood, surfers as a community are anti-establishment or you would be down at your local beach applauding development and clubbing dolphins.

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Sunday, 12 Jun 2011 at 5:12am

The founders of Quicksilver and Billabong have sold there companies long ago. Brian Singer and Doug Warbick the founders of Ripcurl were not what you would call real surfers in the first place, legend has it that Ripcurl was created so that Claw could announce to anybody within earshot that he had to go as he was due a a board meeting, whenever Winkipop got over 3ft.
I don't know why some surfers have the opinion that it is okay if it is a surfer running the company that is exploiting and fucking up surfing, I would have thought it was worse worse being ripped off by one of our own.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Sunday, 12 Jun 2011 at 5:17am

Yeah it all suck's,the big surf brands cashed in long ago, but at least they make surfing products not just clothing, it sucks how the big surf brands give nothing back to surfing, and exploit and expose surf spots..

would be nice to see them giving back to surfing, like putting $$$ into artifial reefs, perhaps in return they could have a big sign, like sponsored by rip curl and get naming rights "Rip curl reef" perhaps the only spots that can have true naming rights, if you create the reef, not just think your the first to surf it etc
And they could hold there comps there...guess im dreaming though, they don't give a shit about surfing just the $$$.

dav-e's picture
dav-e's picture
dav-e Monday, 13 Jun 2011 at 11:52pm

Maybe we should not be focusing our attention on the evil empires of fabric, but rather focus our attention on the small local fabric shapers.
Nike will still be absolutely thriving if their action sports range does not get bigger, but every piece of thread they sell will be one less item that the small companies will not be able to sell.
I humbly admit that I am a partaker of the large companies products, but I also proudly wear some local labels.

fishheadsushi's picture
fishheadsushi's picture
fishheadsushi Wednesday, 15 Jun 2011 at 3:05am

I'm really glad people think about what their hard earned dollars support these days. Surf related or not

Don't really know much about the beginnings of the big3, but you make an excellent point Shaun.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Wednesday, 15 Jun 2011 at 5:10am

I gave up buying surf brand clothes long ago I started surfing in 88 as a very young grom and its crazy how much it's changed since then, it was just surfers wearing surf labels mostly because you couldn't buy the style of clothes they were making back then, bordies to surf in and hooded tops to keep warm after a surf...but i guess also because you wanted to be seen a surfer and it was rare for somebody that didn't surf or wasn't involved in surf culture to wear rip curl, billabong, quicksilver..but now every kid from the coast to city to middle of nowhere wears surf brands bit weird really.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Wednesday, 15 Jun 2011 at 5:12am

and all those brands were only sold in surf shops, surf shops that mostly had surfboards and wetsuits..now surf shops are more clothing shops with some selling boards and wetsuits...hmmm

fishheadsushi's picture
fishheadsushi's picture
fishheadsushi Wednesday, 15 Jun 2011 at 5:44am

Agreed, the modern surf shop is a hoax.

I worked at Beach Culture (should be re-named Billabong Culture (owned by and only stocks affiliated branding)) at Sydney domestic airport. We didn't even sell wax..

whaaaat's picture
whaaaat's picture
whaaaat Wednesday, 15 Jun 2011 at 8:37am

Wax? Wot's that for then?? Brazilians???

sasurfer's picture
sasurfer's picture
sasurfer Thursday, 16 Jun 2011 at 4:05am

I have heard that quiksilver are now stocked in david jones?? i think thats proof enough that surf companies are just there too keep their stock holders happy

fishheadsushi's picture
fishheadsushi's picture
fishheadsushi Thursday, 23 Jun 2011 at 1:30am

Like the famous saying goes,

QuikRipAbong only a share holder knows the feeling.

ricco's picture
ricco's picture
ricco Tuesday, 28 Jun 2011 at 10:16am

But I do like them Hurley boardshorts.

And if you buy them direct from the States they're less than half price.

Suits me.

jcyo's picture
jcyo's picture
jcyo Friday, 1 Jul 2011 at 2:20am

Nike to sell Hurley, Fanning to go to Hurley and Billabong possibly to buy Hurley... http://www.doomasrumors.com/2011/nike-to-sell-hurley-fanning-to-go-to-hurley-and-billabong-possibly-to-buy-hurley/

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Friday, 1 Jul 2011 at 9:08am

Nike to sell Hurley, Fanning to go to Hurley and Billabong possibly to buy Hurley... http://www.doomasrumors.com/2011/nike-to-sell-hurley-fanning-to-go-to-hurley-and-billabong-possibly-to-buy-hurley/

By: "jcyo"

wOW THAT IS JUST GOING TO CHANGE MY LIFE, HOW DEVASTATING.

jesse's picture
jesse's picture
jesse Tuesday, 12 Jul 2011 at 10:24pm

Gee, lot of talk about Nike ripping off surfers here - but yet to understand how. If you don't like their stuff, don't buy it, pretty simple really. I think its just the usual knee jerk response to anything new in surfing that has everyone ranting and raving. Still gonna say they are evil when they use their huge R&D budget to create a super warm, long lasting flexible wetsuit that no surfing company has the coin to create?

You can trust Nike aren't gonna pull out cause a few guys think they aren't cool enough, so probably get used to seeing them around.

jockey's picture
jockey's picture
jockey Thursday, 14 Jul 2011 at 12:02pm

My first post so go easy guys. If you dont like Nike, Qsilver, Rip Curl,Four and Twenty Pies, Holden Cars, BP Petrol, or anything else made by a BIG company then dont support them by not making a purchase...easy really. Im not sure if you can avoid any BIG company these days unless you walk around nude and eat home grown veges and live in a tree. My first rant!

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Thursday, 14 Jul 2011 at 12:30pm

That's right jockey, only a nude surfer knows the feeling.

fishheadsushi's picture
fishheadsushi's picture
fishheadsushi Wednesday, 20 Jul 2011 at 12:31am

Education and human rights atrocities. It's all very well documented. That's the point being made here

I don't buy Nike or support any of the big t-shirt companies. I buy boards from local shapers and more recently buying wetsuits from Australian upstart companies.

There are alternatives out there and plenty of young people making a name for themselves with their own labels. Worthy of your support

You aren't evil by proxy for purchasing Nike or big3 items. Just some food for thought guys

yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer Wednesday, 20 Jul 2011 at 2:01am

I saw in the paper last week that Nike admitted that workers were being abused and assaulted at a shoe factory they run in Indonesia but they "didnt know and cant control what happens there". Sounds a bit like Uncle Rupert at that British Parlimentary Inquiry last night"I cant control what they write in my papers!" Yeah Right.