Who Wants G-Land back on the tour

fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21 started the topic in Monday, 23 May 2011 at 6:18am

ASP website is asking the question. Lodge your votes if you want it back on the tour. Plenty of you have been bitching on other threads that it is no longer on, so make yourself heard.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Monday, 23 May 2011 at 6:49am

What a stupid question!

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Monday, 23 May 2011 at 6:50am

By the way, I wasn't aiming that comment at you, Fitzy.

fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21 Monday, 23 May 2011 at 6:51am

Not taken personally Ben!!!

lopez's picture
lopez's picture
lopez Monday, 23 May 2011 at 9:24am

If your a regular why would you want those grubby profit driven surf stars and companies anywhere near the place.Lets not turn the G into another superbank thank you.

Aloha.

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Monday, 23 May 2011 at 8:56pm

The big 3 surf companys seem to just take it turns to rape a surfing destination, and then when they have a slow year and are a bit short on funds, they'll go back to an old favorite and sink the boot in.

floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd Monday, 23 May 2011 at 11:39pm

My starting position on such questions is ask the local community.

In the case of G-land the answer might be yes given the relative low standard of living and the prospect of a few making some cash. This issue equally applies to surf tour companies and tourists traveling in such places, i.e. what impact does the presence of cashed up surfers have on local culture?

Anyway, I personally do not favour surf contests in such places and companies sensitive to local culture(s) shouldn't either. I also think surf tour companies working in these areas need to work with and for local communities, and believe many do a great job in that regard.

Equally, I question how the big 3 are given "permission" year after year to run a surf contest (read commerical media event) on local breaks e.g. the bells contest. I appreciate the early history of such events but does Rip Curl, for example, need to get planning approval each year to run the bells event or it a given it goes ahead regardless. If planning approval is needed is there a fee paid and to whom? And finally, what say if any, does the local community have in deciding if approval is given?

Another example of this issue could be the F1 event in Albert Park Melbourne. A public space/park is locked up for a month each year against the wishes of the vast majority of local residents so an international company can run a car race (read commercial media event). Nothing wrong with the car race but the locals don't want it in their park.

dav-e's picture
dav-e's picture
dav-e Wednesday, 1 Jun 2011 at 11:58pm

It would be excellent for the Goofy footers to get some high class left's on the tour. It would be excellent for Owen Wright, theoretically the conditions there would let him dominate. I know that "Quiksilver CEO Bob McKnight says that G-Land is the best left in the world.

My viewpoint here is obviously not considering the locals viewpoint and the impact on there community, floyd makes some very good points there. As there is more to life than surfing. Apparently.
I was merely thinking of the opportunities of the goofy footers on tour. It might open up the field a bit. But is G-land the right (Wright) wave for the tour? Big call.