Currumbin Alley tragedy

evo62's picture
evo62 started the topic in Monday, 9 May 2011 at 12:08am

For who haven't heard, a surfer was struck by a boat and killed on the weekend at The Alley. Whilst my thoughts are with his family at this time, the VMR says the boat skipper did nothing wrong.

markmac555's picture
markmac555's picture
markmac555 Monday, 9 May 2011 at 12:56am

It's very sad for all involved but this is bound to happen when you mix power boats and people in the water. Hopefully this doesn't mean massive dredging and an end to The Alley as we know it.

alakaboo's picture
alakaboo's picture
alakaboo Monday, 9 May 2011 at 2:01am

VMR may have said he did nothing wrong, and I have genuine compassion for the driver who will live with the haunting reality forever, but I strongly doubt the boat was doing less than 6 knots.

evo62's picture
evo62's picture
evo62 Monday, 9 May 2011 at 2:25am

I think it is a timely reminder to keep an eye out, no matter if you are in high risk areas such as The Alley, paddling across the GC seaway, at The Pass, or other places.

eternalbeginner's picture
eternalbeginner Monday, 9 May 2011 at 7:53pm

alakaboo, it's only 6 knots once you are inside the river past the end of the groyne. terrible accident nonetheless.

evo62's picture
evo62's picture
evo62 Monday, 9 May 2011 at 10:54pm

There still is a 6 knot exclusion zone around swimmers and surfers.....

eternalbeginner Tuesday, 10 May 2011 at 1:06am

Yep there sure is evo, once in the waterway, which starts at the groyne. There are 400m exclusion zones for boats from the shoreline which tallebudgera and currumbin are exempt from. This is a terrible tragedy and one which is sure to spark a few debates.

benski's picture
benski's picture
benski Tuesday, 10 May 2011 at 4:00am

A very sad event. It looks like the political debate has begun.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/dredge-plan-for-surfspot-afte...

bigwayne's picture
bigwayne's picture
bigwayne Tuesday, 10 May 2011 at 8:58am

absolute tradgedy for all concerned , no matter the politics. have never surfed there always been too crowded, but can see the problem with boats and boards