surf training ideas

claytonbeatty's picture
claytonbeatty started the topic in Tuesday, 22 Mar 2011 at 6:29am

Just wanting to know what other surfers thoughts are on training for surfing?

I live in Perth and since it can be a long wait between any descent surfs I keep fit by doing workouts that focus on core strength, balance, functional movement, flexibility, etc.

Does anyone else do workouts or training to keep in shape?

I recommend getting a swiss ball to start with. There are heaps of exercises you can do with them.

Some of my favourite exercises include the following...

1. Pushup Jackknife - Get in a pushup position with your hands on the ground and feet on the ball. Do a pushup and then tuck your knees into your chest while keeping your core braced. Great for upper body and core strength.

2. Swiss Ball Side Plank - This is a bit more advanced but basically you do a side plank but with your forearm on the swiss ball instead of the floor. It really challenges your core and shoulder stability.

3. Half Kneeling Swiss Ball Balance - Find an open space and try kneeling on the ball. Start with all fours on the ball and then lift one hand at a time. When you have mastered this bring one foot up onto the ball so you have one foot and one knee. A great one for your balance.

Anyway just wondering what other surfers do to stay in shape when the surf is flat?

Cheers.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Tuesday, 22 Mar 2011 at 9:24am

^^ You Wayne's son??

non-local's picture
non-local's picture
non-local Tuesday, 22 Mar 2011 at 9:31am

saussage rolls and lots of beer with the constant grip on a bong should do it for you, when Margies is big you will be able to charge.

bigwayne's picture
bigwayne's picture
bigwayne Wednesday, 23 Mar 2011 at 9:18pm

yes mr craig wether he likes or not , son dont give out the secrets to our royal surfing prowess its beneath them anyway you just keep on going with being above evey one else. thats how we roll!

seethesea's picture
seethesea's picture
seethesea Thursday, 24 Mar 2011 at 2:31am

Hey Clayton.

I have tried many kinds of training. Boxing, running, core workouts like those you mention. They are great for sure.

As someone who has grown up on, in or beside the ocean I find the only real training I can actually enjoy is with water as part of it.

Like most surfers I spent the first 20 years of my surfing life focussing only on the 150m of ocean from the shore. I spent a lot of flat, windy days wondering what to do.

A clubby mate introduced me to the open ocean. There's no swell it's 20-25 knots cross shore like you get in Perth every day in Summer. Take something that floats pretty well, a clubby board, an ocean paddleboard, surf ski, ocean ski, big stand up board, outrigger canoe. Whatever you can get your hands on. Look for a part of the coast that the wind blows to another, paddle 1 or 2 k's out to sea and you are surfing open ocean wind swell. Head high waves that travel real fast, you turn, carve, glide on waves that can run for ages depending on how good you are at staying with them. 20k's of this and you will be as stoked as your first day standing up as a grom.

Sounds stupid but it is as much fun as a 4 foot day if the conditions are right, polishes your ocean senses as well so when the real waves come you are on your game two fold. You get your cardio, core, flexibility etc etc but you get time on the ocean as well. No crowds either.

Try it some time. The worst bit is that those clubbies that we all hated at school have been on to this for years.

Here's the kicker though, when the swell comes back you will be that fit you will literally be paddling past everyone in the lineup and be surfing better than last swell also.

I will probably get burnt on here for saying this as I know we are meant to be closed minded and only ride shortboards but I honestly don't care. It is the most fun I have had since I was 12.

bigwayne's picture
bigwayne's picture
bigwayne Thursday, 24 Mar 2011 at 9:18pm

mr beatty i as your feerless leeder and wealth of knowledge on all things must concur with Mr sea, what he says is the right way to go about keeping fit on lay days. although having obtained world titles in nearly all weight divisions i must say that boxing training is the best with out doubt incorparating surfing specific exercises of course and if that dosent get you fit then just hit the bongs and eat fried food all the time and take up the heart darts then you can blame your board for being a peice of excrement and give up! means more waves for my son big mr pro to excell at just being my son and i will give you a free audience i mean lesson in surfing is that not fair? no one can say i dont love my people and you should be thankful that i am willing to slum it just to help you through this time of need. this heart felt sermon and fountain of knowledge was bought to you by my good self

drunkenmaster's picture
drunkenmaster's picture
drunkenmaster Saturday, 26 Mar 2011 at 1:51am

Gday guys, my first time on the forum, geez you're a funny bunch! seethesea, been thinking of open ocean paddling for a while now. what craft would you recommend for someone with limited budget(i've got 2 kids under 4). i was looking at sup, but they seem pretty expensive?

mtw's picture
mtw's picture
mtw Saturday, 26 Mar 2011 at 8:11am

Join your local Surf Lifesaving Club, you can use the facilities as part of your membership fees, this includes use of boards, skis and a nice hot shower. I joined when my kid wanted to do nippers and I became a member myself. I am using the crafts available in the club as well as started running with the boys a couple times a week.