Currents on latest swell (sunshine coast)

dromodreamer05's picture
dromodreamer05 started the topic in Thursday, 17 Apr 2014 at 6:21pm

Is it just me or does the current seem to have shifted 180 deg back north on the sunny coast. I don't really remember last year, is that what happens at the change of seasons?

dromodreamer05's picture
dromodreamer05's picture
dromodreamer05 Thursday, 17 Apr 2014 at 6:22pm

and sunshine was going south?

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Thursday, 17 Apr 2014 at 7:19pm

What do you mean by current shifting Dromo?

dromodreamer05's picture
dromodreamer05's picture
dromodreamer05 Thursday, 17 Apr 2014 at 7:34pm

it seemed to be the opposite of what it normally is on the incoming and outgoing tide , have i been smoking too much? It felt like at times despite the lack of quality waves i was doing 5 knots either way going south on the Northern end in the morning and north on the Southern end in the arvo. It was easier to go to the beach and do run arounds.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Thursday, 17 Apr 2014 at 7:40pm

Ah. Change of seasons doesn't cause a change in inshore currents directly, but the change in swell direction associated with the change of seasons would.

Usually on east swells (summer) on the Goldy and Sunny Coasts you get the reverse sweep happening just wide of the break, and there's way less paddling to keep at the top of the lineup compared to a south to south-east swell (winter) where the current will be roaring down the point towards the beach making it a low harder to hold position.

Changes in the tide will enhance/decrease or even slightly reverse this effect, but it's mainly the swell direction.

donweather's picture
donweather's picture
donweather Thursday, 17 Apr 2014 at 8:11pm

Sweep was a bitch this morning!!!

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Thursday, 17 Apr 2014 at 8:29pm

not down here.
was a significant reverse sweep yesterday despite the Swinds and swell, must be a strong eddy from the EAC active.
today was fairly neutral.....slight sideshore sweep from S to N.

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Thursday, 17 Apr 2014 at 11:00pm
dromodreamer05 wrote:

Is it just me or does the current seem to have shifted 180 deg back north on the sunny coast. I don't really remember last year, is that what happens at the change of seasons?

I don't really remember last year, must of been a great time Dromometer...:)

upnorth's picture
upnorth's picture
upnorth Saturday, 19 Apr 2014 at 12:30pm

Zero sweep yesterday or this morning north of coolum and beautiful waves, fun times