board bumps

gannet's picture
gannet started the topic in Tuesday, 22 Feb 2011 at 4:04am

Well, seeing as though these forums are turning into medical help corner, maybe I'll throw my query out there.

Any help would be much appreciated.

I'm not talking about bony growths from old time knee paddling, but those soft, squishy build ups over the lowest rib. Nice adaptation to hours of paddling I always thought.

However, over the last 12 months or so, mine have gotten damn painful, almost to the point where surfing twice or thrice a day for a few days in a row is just not an option. I've been surfing for about 25 years. Gone are the daily surfs of grommethood, but I still manage 3 or 4 surfs a week (maybe staying out longer as some compensation).

Do I need to surf more? less? get a SUP (ye gads!)
Save me....

brendo's picture
brendo's picture
brendo Wednesday, 23 Feb 2011 at 1:50am

rib bumps? I've never heard of such a thing... does it happen even if you have a wetty on?

benski's picture
benski's picture
benski Wednesday, 23 Feb 2011 at 2:19am

My ribs got shredded in exactly the same place on a trip to fiji a few years ago, from surfing in a t-shirt every day I think. It was the coarseness of the cotton compared to rashee material. I've got some scars there now (big as a 20c piece?) which look pretty weird. Anyway, they open up pretty easily if I surf for several hours for a few days in a row.

When I'm gonna be surfing lots in warm weather I use a 2mm vest to combat it. I've tried taping em up and that seems to work, had a yarn with a fella who just uses bandaids and he reckoned that works. But you go through shitloads of the stuff, and your skin around the holes gets fucked up from the glue and stuff.

Cold water's not a problem for me cos the wettie protects em. But I did find that cheap rashees don't help. I took one on a trip to the tropics recently and left my good one behind by mistake. It was rough as and my ribs opened up almost straight away. A real bastard. Never tried surfing without a shirt for a long surf but that might help, but I'd rather have sore ribs that skin cancer.

So yeah, upshot is, try a vest if you're in warm water, only needs to be thin, worked for me. If you're in cold water and it's happening....shit man...I dunno, good luck to ya.

gannet's picture
gannet's picture
gannet Wednesday, 23 Feb 2011 at 11:08pm

ah sorry folks, shoulda been more specific.

i'm in vicco so always wear a wetty. and its not abrasions so much as chronic bruising / swelling.

maybe i should get a jetski

main's picture
main's picture
main Thursday, 24 Feb 2011 at 2:43am

gannet - i get the same thing whenever I go on a surf trip and go from 2-3 two-hour surfs per week to daily 6 hour surfs. Usually wearing just a rashie or tee shirt. I reckon its simply swelling, caused by more compression time than the ribs are used to. Ice fixes it for me - same as any other swelling from an impact injury...

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Sunday, 27 Mar 2022 at 2:56pm
Yeboh-joe's picture
Yeboh-joe's picture
Yeboh-joe Saturday, 9 Mar 2024 at 9:38pm

Check this link on Surfers knots or knobs. I get them regularly on the lower ribs. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4996906/#