Good surf docos or films

rosso's picture
rosso started the topic in Friday, 7 Jan 2011 at 10:16am

Can anyone recommend some good surf films or docos?

To be clear: NOT the music video clip ones put out by the surf industry companies. I hate the rapid editing, the lack of story, the endless slow motion arials, and flashing special effects. These are tedious!

I think the test of a good surfing film is that a non surfer can enjoy it too. Examples of the good ones are:
Endless Summer 1 and 2
Riding Giants
Bomborra

i-u-brawn's picture
i-u-brawn's picture
i-u-brawn Tuesday, 11 Jan 2011 at 1:47am

About Time is the best surf movie I have seen. And good music too, from the likes of Parkway Drive and Alkaline Trio

ed's picture
ed's picture
ed Wednesday, 12 Jan 2011 at 5:57am

my eyes will not dry has good tube riding. classic stuff.

rosso's picture
rosso's picture
rosso Wednesday, 12 Jan 2011 at 10:23am

hey i-ubrawn

I did a google and checked you-tube but couldn't find anything about About Time. Can you point to anything online?

In addition to the movies i mentioned above, I've got to mention North Shore. Its cheesy and very 80's and hilarious. I watched it on vhs over and over. Bring your sense of humour and check out the surfers making appearances.

thelostclimber's picture
thelostclimber's picture
thelostclimber Wednesday, 12 Jan 2011 at 9:47pm

"step into liquid" is made by Bruce Brown's (endless summer) son and is entertaining. "Mad Wax" for flouro boardies and good surfing and some seriously lame attempts at acting

I was also going to say watch North Shore, but got beaten to it. Damn Howlie. "Surfs up" - the penguin cartoon for the kids - awesome cartoon barrels

"Big Wednesday" is the all time classic.

brianp's picture
brianp's picture
brianp Wednesday, 12 Jan 2011 at 9:57pm

5'5 x 19 14 Redux (my fav)
The Movement
Sprout
The Present
Riding Giants
One Track Mind
Endless Summer I & II

i-u-brawn's picture
i-u-brawn's picture
i-u-brawn Thursday, 13 Jan 2011 at 3:12am

hey i-ubrawn

I did a google and checked you-tube but couldn't find anything about About Time. Can you point to anything online?.

By: "rosso"

AboutTime was a fairly underground film, but AboutTime 2.0 will be released soon;
www.movementmag.com/_webapp_268627/Abouttime_Two

pete_79's picture
pete_79's picture
pete_79 Friday, 14 Jan 2011 at 1:27am

"Cyclone Fever"

No commercial bullshit, just pumping GC breaks with Kirra off it's tits. Don't know if you can get in DVD, I had in VHS had to chuck it out a few years ago the tape was too stretched from constant playing over many years...

pete_79's picture
pete_79's picture
pete_79 Friday, 14 Jan 2011 at 5:00am

Found this short clip from Cyclone Fever on youtube, gives you a good idea of the vid (doco style like Endless Summers).

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Saturday, 15 Jan 2011 at 9:32am

Some Indonesia surf vids that are kinda doc style or story line.

-Ulu 32= a kinda of history of Indonesian surfing from the discovery of bali onwards all the main areas/waves.

-Second thoughts=timmy turner and co.

-the forgoteen coast= similiar to second thoughts, both bit put on for the cameras, bit wanky.

-The drifter= Rob machado's, Indo drifting DVD, something different.

-Indo express= Dont think is on DVD, was great for its time (very early 90's)

non-local's picture
non-local's picture
non-local Sunday, 16 Jan 2011 at 2:16am

Kong's Island has to be a classic. Scream in Blue by Cheyne Horan is a different one.

gopatter's picture
gopatter's picture
gopatter Tuesday, 18 Jan 2011 at 7:04am

There's some good home grown work by Mick Waters and Andrew Kidman well worth watching and supporting, more character and story driven and you still can't beat "Morning Of The Earth" by Alby Falzon a 70's classic.

logger's picture
logger's picture
logger Wednesday, 19 Jan 2011 at 1:47am

"the craving" is the best of this genre in my humble opinion. Might be hard to get though, let me know if your struggling to find it, really is a stunning film.

Others worth the watch are all of thomas campbells movies:
The Present
Sprout
The Seedling
I have also enjoyed Taylor Steeles, Castles in the Sky and Sipping Jetstreams although not doco's in the strictest sense of the word.
Also Musica Surfica is great doco about finless surfing and classical music filmed exclusively on KI, great to watch pro's returned to kookdom by the finless approach

bigwayne's picture
bigwayne's picture
bigwayne Wednesday, 19 Jan 2011 at 9:14pm

on any given wednesday is also a great vid but it does SHOCK and HORROR feature longboarders like myself for those that really care

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Thursday, 20 Jan 2011 at 1:02am

on any given wednesday is also a great vid but it does SHOCK and HORROR feature longboarders like myself for those that really care

By: "bigwayne"

I thought your favourite movie would be that one with Tom Cruise in it with the big line"SHOW ME THE MONEY" sorry just had to throw that in.
oh yeah billabong odyssey

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Sunday, 21 Oct 2012 at 5:14pm

Does anyone have a surfing DVD, called " the junior diarys" that they are willing to sell?

The DVD came with an issue of waves a few years ago has a red and black cover and features a few pros surfing in the tellos, Indonesia.

If anyone has a copy that they want to sell, put it on eBay with a buy it now price of $20 and I will buy it.

Cheers

victor's picture
victor's picture
victor Sunday, 21 Oct 2012 at 5:28pm

indo- $20 i hope not...hopefully someone who has it will burn it for you and pop in the post to ya.

grufnut's picture
grufnut's picture
grufnut Sunday, 21 Oct 2012 at 11:28pm

'Sea of Darkness' is an interesting one if you can find it. It's about the indo surf pioneers in the 70's and their smuggling ways. Not much surfing but interesting viewing.

grufnut's picture
grufnut's picture
grufnut Sunday, 21 Oct 2012 at 11:38pm

Bustin' down the door was a good watch too, but i thought a lot of the stories sounded a bit exaggerated.

I would kill to get a copy of Quiks 'Surfers of fortune' on DVD if anyone knows how to obtain one hit me up. Had it on VHS but wore it out.

mrsbradpitt's picture
mrsbradpitt's picture
mrsbradpitt Tuesday, 23 Oct 2012 at 9:33am

Point Break. There is some amazing surfing featured in this film. Bodie is a wild man

niggly's picture
niggly's picture
niggly Tuesday, 23 Oct 2012 at 11:09am

Sliding Siberiea - Malloy Bro's film, all their films are pretty good.
And Went and watched storm surfers the other night in bondee , nice work ben, i really enjoyed it .