Surfing Tassie

ACB__'s picture
ACB__ started the topic in Friday, 11 Apr 2014 at 8:22am

Hey all,

Obviously I don't expect anyone to give away their favorite break down there, but I'm heading down for 10 days to go looking for waves.

flying into Hobart and spending a bit of time down around the south arm, what have people experiences been like? I think I'm going to base myself at EagleHawk Neck.

Any tips, regions and advice is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Friday, 11 Apr 2014 at 9:16am

When?

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Friday, 11 Apr 2014 at 9:24am

Lived there for a few years and surfed every coast, the best spots are fickle but every coast can get epic so many gems in Tassie.

IMO the most important thing in Tassie would to be mobil, you often need to do a lot of driving and a lot of checking and just go the coast that looks to have the best forecast.

I wouldn't limit yourself to the south end, yes it gets epic, but on small even med swells places like South arm are generally average (totally different story on a solid swell (wedge) or big/huge swell (point,s)

Swell direction is also a huge factor in a lot of areas from past Bruny island up to Swansea, including even the normally average south arm beaches.

Basically

West coast= (Marrawah area)if you get a run of any winds with east in them well worth the trip great end of beach rip style beachies that can get quite hollow and hold size also a few power packed reefs.

North/North west coast= one of the most fickle coast in OZ although has reefs galore, road follows the coast almost the whole way if you driving past and you see even a half decent little wave, get out there while you can because things up here normally only last for hours.

East coast= St helens- bicheno stretch, gets good but can be fickle most spots rely heavily on banks and lots of south swells can run right past here, great area if banks and swell if no banks, go elsewhere.

Swansea down to eagle hawk neck= Plenty of gems here on solid to huge swells but fickle with a capital F, although the more exposed Eaglehawk area itself is consistent and a good area to base yourself in the south.

South arm= (see above)

Bruny(never been but heard gets good) and further south, gets good but fickle, heaps of potential in the nooks and crannies but require local knowledge to even know where and boat or long long walks. Sth east cape same deal long walk but swell magnet.

ACB__'s picture
ACB__'s picture
ACB__ Friday, 11 Apr 2014 at 9:42am
Sheepdog wrote:

When?

Thursday 17th through to Sunday the 27th sheepy. Pretty open to where we're staying just going to travel round and go looking so thanks heaps for the advice ID. We're probably going to stay lurking around the south east pocket near port Arthur, Hobart, Eaglehawk & up near the wineglass bay.

Are you based down there SD?

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Friday, 11 Apr 2014 at 10:02am

The deep south is where I am..... No surf here.... None.... forget it..... Stay away....We are all paid up members of the rifle club....... :)

This guys gfs isn't too bad -
http://www.metvuw.com/forecast/forecast.php?type=rain&region=swp&noofdays=7

Note the massive low sw of tassie 18th.......You've chosen well re' Eaglehawke neck...... Google a map of the area, and you will notice that not too far away (past Nubeena) is a beach that gets the same sw swell as south arm....... And the neck gets eastswells, so you've got 2 angles covered on one peninsula. North of the neck, best I say nothing...... But not too far away is a fickle gem.... And swellnet has a spot covered further north (one of my favorite places)....... Now, West coast??? Me say nothing!!!!
And Indo's post has a few clues....... Cheers.....

ACB__'s picture
ACB__'s picture
ACB__ Friday, 11 Apr 2014 at 10:38am

All good sheepy.. all good... It's not going to be me and the combined Bondi, Manly and Narrabeen surf club, just me and the fam.

I noticed..... a few nice looking swells around that week. What mill wettie you using this time of year?

North will be an interesting trip. So many knooks and crannies to discover.. I think I know where you mean RE: Nubeena, great shout thanks...

I'm pretty pumped on finding my own little gems.. Glad there is swell.

Cheers for the direction and tips.. its not much, but at least I know I'm in the right pocket.

bishmann's picture
bishmann's picture
bishmann Friday, 11 Apr 2014 at 10:41am

eaglehawk neck doesnt seem to have good sand at the moment i was there 2 weeks ago , there is other options down that way , have a drive around and you will find them .

bishmann's picture
bishmann's picture
bishmann Friday, 11 Apr 2014 at 10:47am

oh also a 3/2 stamer at the moment is fine the water wasnt too bad at all 2 weeks ago

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Friday, 11 Apr 2014 at 11:23am

ACB, With a name like "bishmann", I'd be tapping his east coast know how.... Bish is the man.... ;)

ACB__'s picture
ACB__'s picture
ACB__ Friday, 11 Apr 2014 at 11:35am

I think he's the great Tasmanian Bushmann who had a typo. He spends his times lurking in the bush and on swellnet spreading his vague advice on Tasmanian bombs.

Ps. Bluff isnt too hard to get too via land is it? I dont wanna surf it because I like my eardrums & limbs in sockets but wanna have a watch from up the headland. Is it hard area to navigate? looks pretty rural on maps.

ACB__'s picture
ACB__'s picture
ACB__ Friday, 11 Apr 2014 at 1:03pm

yep... asked too much.

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Friday, 11 Apr 2014 at 1:24pm

CLASSIC.. Keep hounding ACB__.

ACB__'s picture
ACB__'s picture
ACB__ Friday, 11 Apr 2014 at 2:03pm

I'll be sure to report back with my findings.

gdh's picture
gdh's picture
gdh Friday, 11 Apr 2014 at 4:08pm

ACB seek and ye shall find. I spent a few weeks over there in March and the best waves we got were just north of Freycinet NP. Great banks there and the water was surprisingly mild. We also scored a fun wedgy right in the corner at Roaring which isn't too far from where you'll be based. I found the locals to be great people and more than happy to share a few waves (possibly just happy for the company in some remote and more sharky waters).
If you have the time to get to Marrawah there's a heap of spots there too and no shortage of swell.
PS don't be fooled into driving for hours just to check around 'the next point', I made that mistake a few times.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Friday, 11 Apr 2014 at 4:17pm

Bishmann drinks antifreeze with his scotch ;), So I'd suggest a 4/3......

ACB__'s picture
ACB__'s picture
ACB__ Friday, 11 Apr 2014 at 4:32pm
gdh wrote:

ACB seek and ye shall find. I spent a few weeks over there in March and the best waves we got were just north of Freycinet NP. Great banks there and the water was surprisingly mild. We also scored a fun wedgy right in the corner at Roaring which isn't too far from where you'll be based. I found the locals to be great people and more than happy to share a few waves (possibly just happy for the company in some remote and more sharky waters).
If you have the time to get to Marrawah there's a heap of spots there too and no shortage of swell.
PS don't be fooled into driving for hours just to check around 'the next point', I made that mistake a few times.

Mate this is beautiful. Thanks so much.. I've only ever heard good things about tassie locals... plenty of weaponry but very friendly ;)

Definitely be lurkin around Freycinet for a day or too, taking the old girl to WineGlass bay. Should have a good time though,, really looking forward to it.. Thanks heaps boys.

upnorth's picture
upnorth's picture
upnorth Friday, 11 Apr 2014 at 8:15pm

For the bluff check out parks and wildlife, nice walk

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 11 Apr 2014 at 8:27pm

Great camping at friendly beaches