Bali Shark Attack

betinho1974's picture
betinho1974 started the topic in Monday, 6 Dec 2010 at 7:27am

All the true facts about the shark attack at Balian, is been a lot of misinformation, but what really happened is here: Bali Shark Attack

fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21 Tuesday, 7 Dec 2010 at 12:21am

I was surfing and staying in Balian for 2 weeks in August and regularly saw a bull shark in the shallows of an afternoon. If there was an attack, it would not surprise me at all.

fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21 Tuesday, 7 Dec 2010 at 12:33am

I haven't heard anything about it, so what happened? Was someone killed? Lose a limb? Chunks out of them??

my_opinion's picture
my_opinion's picture
my_opinion Tuesday, 7 Dec 2010 at 1:28am

We were surfing at Canggu a couple of weeks ago and a guy out surfing said that it was his mate that got bitten at Balian, and he needed about a hundred stitches and microsurgery to his lower arm, wrist and hand. That was the last I heard about it. But it was apparently the first recorded shark attack in Bali, is that correct?
I've heard stories of bull shark sightings at the rivermouths like Balian, and a big local tiger shark that cruises around Nusa Dua to Greenballs area, but I reckon half the stories are just to keep the numbers down.

fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21 Tuesday, 7 Dec 2010 at 4:03am

Let's face it, there are very few places left in Bali now where the numbers can be kept down and Balian isn't exactly a world class wave (although it is fun, consistant and a beautiful place). I can put my hand to my heart when I say I regularly saw the bull shark, mostly after rain at the mouth, although it didn't put me off my arvo sessions.
I haven't heard of any attacks in all the years I've been going there, so if it is true I hope the guy is alright.

betinho1974's picture
betinho1974's picture
betinho1974 Thursday, 9 Dec 2010 at 3:26am

Full article about the attack