Fins Up - Fins Down??

rushy's picture
rushy started the topic in Friday, 3 Dec 2010 at 5:55am

Another inane topic for discussion....
Tying boards onto the roof racks on the car - do you reckon it's better to have them fins placed upwards or downwards. Or does it matter?

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Friday, 3 Dec 2010 at 6:05am

OK, this one is simple and it bugs me when I see it done the wrong way.

The fins should be facing upwards with the nose of the board pointing to the front.

This allows the wind to flow over the board naturally without causing drag.

If the fins are down the rocker of the board would be tilted up to the sky and create more drag, possibly leading to a crease in the board as well.

jaffa1949's picture
jaffa1949's picture
jaffa1949 Friday, 3 Dec 2010 at 6:16am

Tying boards onto the roof racks on the car - do you reckon it's better to have them fins placed upwards or downwards. Or does it matter?

By: "rushy"

In board bag or not in a board bag, fins up wax melts fins down wax scrapes off on roof rack do you carry your board fins out wax to body at front or back, you tie your board on rope leggy occies, special straps, lock up straps, stuff your board in the car so much to consider as to whether you look the part before you even hit the water!
Yep it's inane but it should get things going!

mtw's picture
mtw's picture
mtw Friday, 3 Dec 2010 at 8:46am

No Brainer, fins up with nose pointing to the front. The glass on the underside of your board is thinner and damages a lot easier. By putting the thinner bottom of the board directly on the racks, you have more chance of damaging the board.

Another spin, when carrying more than one board do you go side by side or stack? I personally stack.

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Friday, 3 Dec 2010 at 8:24pm

By: "rushy"

HAHA........you really scraped the bottom of the barrel with this one.

spongebob's picture
spongebob's picture
spongebob Friday, 3 Dec 2010 at 11:21pm

You would think the government would fund some research into important questions like this.

rushy's picture
rushy's picture
rushy Saturday, 4 Dec 2010 at 12:03am

The Federal Government once funded research into surfboard design for lesbians, so this might just get a run.

spongebob's picture
spongebob's picture
spongebob Saturday, 4 Dec 2010 at 1:17am

Gawd Rushy that makes the imagination run wild does't it?
One for the Shaping Bay.

floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd Saturday, 4 Dec 2010 at 7:16am

Mmmmmmm, another inane discussion. Let me see what can I add here? What about that really cool tread from the 70's where guys had 2" spaces put in the back roof rake bar so the boards were on that fantastic angle going down the road (the back bar was 2" higher than the front). Guaranteed to get you barrelled and heaps of chicks I'm told.

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Saturday, 4 Dec 2010 at 8:07am

Mmmmmmm, another inane discussion. Let me see what can I add here? What about that really cool tread from the 70's where guys had 2" spaces put in the back roof rake bar so the boards were on that fantastic angle going down the road (the back bar was 2" higher than the front). Guaranteed to get you barrelled and heaps of chicks I'm told.

By: "floyd"

2 inch space mate that was pretty conservitive ,go for the full 45 deg. Don't forget the panel van , I think thats where the angle thing started. Gotta have the back window up to get a buzz off the exhaust fumes.

rushy's picture
rushy's picture
rushy Saturday, 4 Dec 2010 at 8:51am

Ahhh memories.....

I'd forgotten about those raked roof racks. They used to make you look fast even when you were standing still - way cool. Had the van but didn't surf in those days.

gannet's picture
gannet's picture
gannet Monday, 6 Dec 2010 at 12:59am

Fins up of course

And despite the functional attributes of nose forward, nose pointing rearward looks way cooler

(especially if only tie-down is a leggy onto the front rack)

thelostclimber's picture
thelostclimber's picture
thelostclimber Thursday, 9 Dec 2010 at 9:40am

internet forums - a place where people go when they arent able to think for themselves.

at least we got some interesting stories toward the end.

Just remember to tie them down before leaving the car park. Doesnt matter which way you put them on the racks they still blow off at 100kmh and the truckie behind doesn't appreciate 6 ft bits of fibreglass and resin through his windscreen. really they don't

rushy's picture
rushy's picture
rushy Friday, 10 Dec 2010 at 4:49am

"Just remember to tie them down before leaving the car park."

Funny you should say that...

Just spent a couple of days on the Central Coast trying to improve on my very basic level of surfing (think I need to improve fitness-wise to get any better but that's another story). Put the board on the roof (fins down this time - as an experiment) with a slight drizzle falling. Hurried into the warmth of the car and started to reverse out, then noticed the tie-downs sitting in the passenger footwell - oops, that was lucky!

BTW, fins down didn't seem to make any difference, for the record.