thin edge of the wedge

theblowin's picture
theblowin started the topic in Saturday, 27 Nov 2010 at 3:46am

so many photos and stories about `the desert` now. the myth machine has finally been given an in by a couple of crew yearning for the bright lights of fame. im sure they are great blokes wanting to live large and fully realise the consequences of what they are doing but find it sad that one of the last bastions of mainland australia`s recreational surfing zones is being sold for beads and mirrors or in this case a couple of wetties,some boardies and a photo or two in a magazine. i dont mean to be rude but those cameras (not the one in your old mans hand) aren`t really interested in you. it`s the liquid gold your granting them access to that they covet.already the sponno teams are creeping in. they would not have dared a few short years ago. photographers are trickling in. of course you will receive attention for a couple more years young fella. surf stars will shake your hand, magazines will credit you as a local charger and your status will rise. unfortunately you will soon enough realise that the smiling merchants of surfing are not your real problem. the downside of seeing your appealing home splashed across the media is that yours will not be the only eyes that see it.it will also be seen by every brazillian, frenchmen,american, israeli and australian among the many surfing nations. humans covet what we see. every one will want and take a slice of the pie. if you think your surfing skills and local knowledge will always grant you a satisfying share of waves once the hordes descend give the burleigh or margies or even the denmark crew a call and find out how they are faring with the globilisation of their turf. but there is so many secret spots, local knowledge required, big sharks, cold and isolation you say! means nothing brother.wa desert aint direct flights either and the horse is bolting there as we speak. the surfing mercenarys will tell you the worlds changing,you cant stop progress. not true. you had a chance your throwing it away. im not big on car burning localism but this is just as bad.your selling it all for peanuts.enough kind words-photogs and magazines get fucked. surfwear rag traders build your own waves to exploit.you already have the east coast and some of wa. lets draw a line in the sand. hawaiins have kaui.fuck off the cameras!

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Saturday, 27 Nov 2010 at 7:25am

Spot on Blowin, the young indian's have sold their heritage for beads and tobacco. Will we ever learn from history?

yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer Saturday, 27 Nov 2010 at 7:32am

You are on the money here blowin but be prepared for some negative coments. Many longtime surfers of this area are getting older and the younger surfers are a different breed, chasing fame and recognition. I remember talking to a guy from tassie who was saying andy campbell wasnt real popular down there since he put shippies on the map. It will never be the same again. And for what? A few billabong ads? I havent heard his name in a while. We older surfers have got to accept that these guys will do what they want, but we all know who is fucking this place-its been plastered in every mag and website all year. They will have to wear that badge for the rest of their lives. They will be known as the ones who blew it for the regular blokes who used to surf this coast for love not fame.

barley's picture
barley's picture
barley Saturday, 27 Nov 2010 at 10:15pm

Couldn't agree more. It shits me when they pro's and photog's come out. They blow soo many waves just trying to get "the shot". I watched them when they were around last and they didn't make one wave. Wasted them all going for a double page spread, or they just pull into closeouts and say they were 5 second barrels. Lets just hope this latest fascination blows over the guys doing it are a bunch of try-hards anyway

dial's picture
dial's picture
dial Sunday, 28 Nov 2010 at 11:03pm

Mags have been covering the desert for decades now. I guess the thing that's changed is you can Google Earth, print out the maps, take a GPS and arrive somewhere without any local knowledge whatsoever. It sort of takes the adventure and the rewards out of hunting for waves.

Thing is all the best desert waves have been crowded for a long time now. It's just the lesser known places that are getting hammered now.