Sydney Northern Beaches - protected from summer northerly’s

kbomb's picture
kbomb started the topic in Thursday, 25 Nov 2010 at 5:45am

I am pretty new to the northern beaches in Sydney and was wondering where a good protected place to surf on the northern beaches is during the summer northerly’s?
Thanks for any advice...

timberskills's picture
timberskills's picture
timberskills Thursday, 25 Nov 2010 at 12:10pm

Most of sydneys northern beaches have real good protection in th prevailing summer nor easters, Places like north av through to the middle of the beach and just around the bends at bilgola are practicaly offshore on a typical summer afternoon, just heaps of punters on it as well, try the joey for some uncrowded wave action and pull into the rsl on the way back for one of the best value parmagan and chips and ice cold vb this side of north korea. ahhh i miss the east coast ... sort of?!

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Thursday, 25 Nov 2010 at 12:28pm

Yep, just as Timber says, most of the Northern Beaches have some sort of nor-easterly protection. Just pull up in a north end carpark and take a squiz. I've just moved to the area myself, though unlike you kbomb, I don't mind surfing in the nor-easterly. Coming from a place that didn't get any nor-east swell at all (Cronulla) I love having surfable waves every arvo. Even if they are choppy.

bookster's picture
bookster's picture
bookster Saturday, 27 Nov 2010 at 5:21am

Coming from a place that didn't get any nor-east swell at all (Cronulla) I love having surfable waves every arvo. Even if they are choppy.

By: "stunet"

Yep.... cronulla is less than stellar this time of year...