Surfing Double Island.

Cino88's picture
Cino88 started the topic in Wednesday, 9 Apr 2014 at 5:53pm

Has anyone surfed double Island point on the sunshine coast. Interested in anyone's thoughts. Cheers

tripper's picture
tripper's picture
tripper Thursday, 10 Apr 2014 at 11:11am

Yeah man, on a cyclone swell it can get pretty decent and quite long wave.
Depends what the sand is doing in how it shapes up.
Need a 4WD.

donweather's picture
donweather's picture
donweather Thursday, 10 Apr 2014 at 5:01pm

Enough said. Ya all move along now ya hear!!!

mick-free's picture
mick-free's picture
mick-free Thursday, 10 Apr 2014 at 5:15pm

Hoax wave Cino, isn't there those irakanji things causing death

asharper001's picture
asharper001's picture
asharper001 Thursday, 10 Apr 2014 at 6:26pm

I have great memories of camping with my best mate and her family up that way, most school holidays bewteen 86 and 89. One trip (can't remember through the haze of age), the sand was almost perfectly aligned down the spit inside the bay, that the wave hardly sectioned and made quite a long point wave (not going to make a length estimate as with age and fishing these things get longer and longer as the years progress). Surf was 2-3ft with perfect conditions. Not a breath of wind. Mind you, she is a fickle wave and my memory serves that that day was an absolute exception with most of my holiday times having to surf the front beach south of the lighthouse because swell just wouldn't get into the bay. Haven't been back since my highschool days (Sept 89 from memory) and it's a shame because it's a lovely piece of the world to camp. Definitely not a hoax wave if you do manage to score it. Great memories. Great fishing too.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Thursday, 10 Apr 2014 at 6:23pm

I hear coastal watch is putting a web cam on the joint

asharper001's picture
asharper001's picture
asharper001 Thursday, 10 Apr 2014 at 6:36pm

Would have thought the Rainbow Beach cam might give a few clues as to conditions up that way but would think it would not be cost effective for Coastalwatch (or anybody else) to put a cam up there for how fickle it is and the dificulty in getting there.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Thursday, 10 Apr 2014 at 6:44pm

Sorry mate I was just joshing about the webcam, too easy to believe there is already one up there. Be funny if it wasn't so sad.

There you go Cino88, no need to ask you can just watch in high res. Although , unless I am mistaken your avatar tells me you already know all about it.

asharper001's picture
asharper001's picture
asharper001 Thursday, 10 Apr 2014 at 6:58pm

No worries Blowin, though you might be pulling my leggie, just that nothing surprises me these days.

mitchvg's picture
mitchvg's picture
mitchvg Thursday, 10 Apr 2014 at 10:52pm

I've heard of people get done for taking their jet skis inside the marine zone, caught on cam.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Friday, 11 Apr 2014 at 9:32am

Had a super fun surf on the inside one day by myself, kinda lucked out, was only knee to waste high but glassy and super sucky just reeling off, would have been epic if even double the size, other times ive been there in conditions that should be good it hasn't been doing it at all going fat or sectioning or rights so fat there going left, also seems really sensitive to swell direction even more so than Nossa and seems it can go long times with average to crap banks.

fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21 Friday, 11 Apr 2014 at 11:23am

extremely fickle

yocal's picture
yocal's picture
yocal Friday, 11 Apr 2014 at 11:46am

extremely fun seeing people try to drive ford falcon sedans up to the point from Tewantin