Sunny or Goldy?

k-b's picture
k-b started the topic in Monday, 8 Nov 2010 at 7:09am

Hey guys,
I'm thinking about moving to either the Sunny coast or Gold coast next year..
Just wondering where you guys think the most consistant surfing beaches are, and the best general place to live..
As you would have more of an idea than myself..
Thanks!

alva's picture
alva's picture
alva Monday, 8 Nov 2010 at 8:35am

if i had the choice id say goldy..no work on the sunny coast at the moment and the crowds are ridiculas for the amount of quality waves(not many)

k-b's picture
k-b's picture
k-b Monday, 8 Nov 2010 at 10:09am

Fair enough Alva, I guess there would be more of a chance finding work on the Gold Coast too. Also, is it true Sunny Coast is more expensive?

I'm at the gold coast nearly every weekend now, so I know my way around there pretty well too..

evo62's picture
evo62's picture
evo62 Monday, 8 Nov 2010 at 10:38pm

I've lived in both places. I think the Sunny coast has a more laid back and chilled vibe. The Gold Coast is more party orientated and can get pretty full on at times.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Tuesday, 9 Nov 2010 at 6:11am

Also lived at both Goldie and Sunny coast, consitency and wave quality the goldie wins hands down, yeah it's crowded but it has some of the best waves in OZ, Sunny coast on the other hand, gets half the amount of swell and 90% of the time is crap, even with a good ground swell options can be very limited and mostly crap....and even though it's less crowded than the goldie it's still crowded.

Yeah the Goldie is these days really a city, but the sunny coast is also pretty busy, but lacks quality nightlife (except in summer)

k-b's picture
k-b's picture
k-b Tuesday, 9 Nov 2010 at 7:13am

Yeah I was attracted to the Sunny Coast because of the chillness haha.
But then again, if you finish a day at work and all you want to do is surf, then sharing pretty average waves is not what ya really want..
If I went Goldy, more than likely be looking south..
Such as Kirra etc.. It's busy, but not AS busy as up north I guess.. (Broadbeach - Main)

As I wont be living rich, I don't think the nightlife is gonna phase me too greatly either haha.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Tuesday, 9 Nov 2010 at 9:07pm

Indo-dreaming has nailed it.

There is a third way.

k-b's picture
k-b's picture
k-b Wednesday, 10 Nov 2010 at 3:55am

Which issssss?

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Wednesday, 10 Nov 2010 at 4:13am