burleigh locals

goldy123's picture
goldy123 started the topic in Monday, 11 Oct 2010 at 12:57am

I was out in the water at burleigh point yesterday talking with some of my mates and was amazed to hear of something that happened the day before at the point. Apparently Peter H..... one of the locals punched and abused some poor 16 year old kid. From what i've heard the kid a fellow surfer had no other choice but to bail off his board under the wash cos dude was lining up the wave, but his board flung up and hit the local in the lip and sliced it. Sure he had a right to tell the kid off but to punch him in the head and abuse him i don't think that very fair coming from a 50yrold + man... the kid didn't even fight back.

crusty's picture
crusty's picture
crusty Thursday, 10 Mar 2011 at 6:08am

I agree 'Nope'with giving peace a chance but it didn't help John Lennon.

crusty's picture
crusty's picture
crusty Thursday, 10 Mar 2011 at 6:17am

He did tell the 'eighteen year old kid' to paddle away because he should not of been out there if he couldn't control his board but he 'the kid' refused and told the old guy to get fucked and that he wasn't going anywhere, he didn't even say sorry.These younger guys need to be taught some respect and to take responsibility for their actions.

killvan-com's picture
killvan-com's picture
killvan-com Monday, 14 Mar 2011 at 10:52pm

Localism is dead. Enforcing a 'my beach' philosophy in 2011 is for those at the bottom on the social pyramid, a dying breed.

evo62's picture
evo62's picture
evo62 Tuesday, 15 Mar 2011 at 2:05am

My beach, my park, my street,my coffee shop, my yard etc.....It is a natural psychological process and not a sign of deviancy or low intelligence.

Localism can be a good thing. For those with the right atittude it helps you find the right place to be at an unfamiliar break. For the locals, you can ensure everyone gets their fair share of waves, show others about respecting each other and provide a degree of safety for all- such as telling people who are out of their ability level to paddle in or where they should be surfing. Sure it can also result in violence, but you must be pretty myopic to think that if you are disrectful to the people that are out there every day, in good and bad conditions, that you will not at least cop a earbashing for being a tool.

Without localism it is very easy to end up with something like the pass with every person out there fighting over waves to get their piece of 'the Byron experience', some who can barely control a board, being a menace to all including themselves, everyone surfing without regard for their actions or the consequences of those actions. At least with localism there is more chance of reducing the chaos.

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Tuesday, 15 Mar 2011 at 10:04pm

Localism is dead. Enforcing a 'my beach' philosophy in 2011 is for those at the bottom on the social pyramid, a dying breed.

By: "killvan-com"

Localism isn't dead yet mate, you have just got the philosophy wrong. It is an "our beach" philosophy, it is a surfing community looking after it's local beach, me thinks you just don't like paddling into the line up and being at the bottom of that social pyramid. Until you spent some time around that community and earned some respect, why should you deserve an equal share of the waves if you have not put in. If it was open slaver and localism was dead then all those places you go to get away from the crowd would not be there, what would be there is a surf cam and a lot of people. I agree with evo, without someone enforcing some order in the water it would be a very dangerous place, I have never surfed Burleigh but I imagine it is pretty dangerous place to paddle out at on a crowded day as it is, but if there was not someone keeping things in line it would be chaos with boards flying everywhere.Killvan localism only in some places, take Bondi for example, actually just keep it and stick your social pyramid up your arse.

bigwayne's picture
bigwayne's picture
bigwayne Wednesday, 16 Mar 2011 at 9:11pm

once again mr shaun i think you are on the money along with mr62 i agree that "localism" has its place a place in every line up! who will keep the peace otherwise? i cant be eveywhere to do it so its bestowed on those who have the right yes i said right to regulate said lineup.locals regulate and thats it. the only time problems arise between locals and blowins is when blowins cant surf. if you can surf and you respect said locals you will get waves and probably an invite to the "local" for a beer or 9 and have a great time.the only people that get hasseld are kooks with no respect for etiquitte. different line ups have differing ways but etiquitte is the same eveywhere. are my meds still working shaun? this was another gem of the big fella and albert einstien of all thing surfing

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Wednesday, 16 Mar 2011 at 9:17pm

Well the great Wanyker agrees with me, I need to see a doctor.

gromfull's picture
gromfull's picture
gromfull Thursday, 17 Mar 2011 at 10:23am

once again the big tool wayne evokes his tiny persona, briefly touching on the subject then reverting back to his miniscule self, please can we not indulge this pathetic little individual, he is but ant in this great world of surf culture, most probably a lid rider fantasising about being someone else.
On the subject at hand, i have never been a local, growing up in lidcombe and travelling as a grom by train to the beach, and then driving by car, and finally living at one of our great coastal towns, the lad in question got it wrong, big time, i learnt from an early age, caught the train and then the ferry to manly at 14, that you do not throw your board under any circumstances, even to the point if you ate it bad, so was the case, if you cannot control your board you are out of your depth.

puff-n-fluff_2's picture
puff-n-fluff_2's picture
puff-n-fluff_2 Thursday, 17 Mar 2011 at 12:02pm

i learnt from an early age, caught the train and then the ferry to manly at 14, that you do not throw your board under any circumstances, even to the point if you ate it bad, so was the case, if you cannot control your board you are out of your depth.

By: "gromfull"

That's interesting because I was watching footage of Taj in that freak WA swell and he ditched his board when he got caught inside. Everyone gets caught off guard sooner or later because everyone is human.

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Thursday, 17 Mar 2011 at 8:53pm
"gromfull" wrote:

i learnt from an early age, caught the train and then the ferry to manly at 14, that you do not throw your board under any circumstances, even to the point if you ate it bad, so was the case, if you cannot control your board you are out of your depth.

By: "puff-n-fluff"

That's interesting because I was watching footage of Taj in that freak WA swell and he ditched his board when he got caught inside. Everyone gets caught off guard sooner or later because everyone is human.

Yep , everyone does bail out and ditch the board in a heavy situation. But if it's going to be of danger to anyone else then you do your best to hold on to it, the major problem with guys that are out of there depth in the line up is that they cannot read the line up ,get caught in the impact, panic and and throw there board in front of the guy on the wave or throws the board without looking to see if there is anyone behind them.I think that's what the problem is, also the majority of of boards broken are done so when they are thrown away.

bigwayne's picture
bigwayne's picture
bigwayne Thursday, 17 Mar 2011 at 10:16pm

morning all, well what can i say mr full? did i upset you? are you the kook i was refering to? seems likely with that poor excuse for a post!dont get above yourself there mr full i am king shit of turd mountain so accept that fact. i resist the urge to set up my weekly semipro mal comp at your local break with water patrol and all,oh wait no local break you say, cant be helped i suppose kooks dont normally have one do they mr full? anyhoo, ditching a board is bad news but like said news it sometimes happens, knowing that one has made a mistake one has the obligation to offer apologies to the person or people that were affected by said missnoma, in other words if you make that mistake then just say sorry and try your best not to do it again! i think that the royal medication is wearing off , im hearing voices mr full and all of them dont seem to like you but i will resist giving you the earbashing you so richly deserve because i am your feerless leeder and comp director to the unruly lower class that you inhabit and as such have an obligation not to ditch my board and then act as though its my right to do so. yes i am a better surfer than everybody after all i am bigwayne . this has been deliverd to you from atop turd mountain and shit rolls downhill and you mr full are at the bottom of the pile

batfink_and_karate's picture
batfink_and_karate Friday, 18 Mar 2011 at 5:24am

My beach, my park, my street,my coffee shop, my yard etc.....It is a natural psychological process and not a sign of deviancy or low intelligence.

By: "evo62"

How wrong can you be. It is totally deviant psychological behaviour, commonly referred to as narcissism, which is a milder form of sociopathy/pschopathy.

It's not my beach, anywhere.

I don't like the resport to violence, but ditching your board when there is anyone within 15 metres of you is a no-no. You should be banned from the beach for a week whenever that happens. You are clearly not capable of handling the conditions if you ditch your board.

The greatest danger in the surf is your own board, but anything that happens there is your own fault/bad luck.

The second great danger is everyone else's board. If you are surfing in crowded conditions you need to keep your board under control for everyone's safety. This is just one of the many reasons why SUP's should never be in a line-up with other surfers.

If young fella ditched his board, possibly on purpose, and didn't have the character to admit to his error and apologise, I really couldn't give a flying fuck about him, in spite of being very unlikely to pursue violence myself.

batfink_and_karate Friday, 18 Mar 2011 at 5:28am

Yes. Taj ditched his board, and I'm pretty sure that there was nobody behind him. I ditch my board sometimes too, but never without checking that there is nobody behind me.

Ditching your board in traffic is never right.

OK, maybe Waimea. I don't know, they play by different rules there.

gromfull's picture
gromfull's picture
gromfull Friday, 18 Mar 2011 at 7:06am

totally agree batfink, right on the money, no one behind it's ok, but in the end you come up faster in the big stuff if ya hold on, remember the eskimo roll, very handy.

as for wanker, just that

evo62's picture
evo62's picture
evo62 Friday, 18 Mar 2011 at 10:10pm

Perhaps you is understood my point batfink,

You are right in that from a ownership point of view, it's not yours, mine or anyone's beach.

However, we all have a natural predisposition to develop an affinity to something we are familiar with and make comparisons to other objects etc. How often do you hear people say "you should try this restaurant, go to this shop" or recommend a particular goods or service? It's basic social psychology. That is what I was trying to express, my beach is better then yours, my street has a wider footpath......

So, if the majority of us perform this behavior, it is no longer considered deviant (deviancy is actions/thoughts that different from the norms of social behavior).

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Friday, 18 Mar 2011 at 11:20pm
"evo62" wrote:

By: "batfink_and_karate"

How wrong can you be. It is totally deviant psychological behaviour, commonly referred to as narcissism, which is a milder form of sociopathy/pschopathy.

I don't like the resport to violence, but ditching your board when there is anyone within 15 metres of you is a no-no. You should be banned from the beach for a week whenever that happens. You are clearly not capable of handling the conditions if you ditch your board.

The greatest danger in the surf is your own board, but anything that happens there is your own fault/bad luck.

The second great danger is everyone else's board. If you are surfing in crowded conditions you need to keep your board under control for everyone's safety. This is just one of the many reasons why SUP's should never be in a line-up with other surfers.

If young fella ditched his board, possibly on purpose, and didn't have the character to admit to his error and apologise, I really couldn't give a flying fuck about him, in spite of being very unlikely to pursue violence myself.

No offence mate but you seem to be contradicting yourself, you start off by pointing out that no one has ownership of the beach, but then state that someone who throws there board should be banned from the beach for a week, who would enforce this ban as no one has ownership so no one has the right to tell anyone else what they can and can't do.
Where I live the locals will give you a hard time if display rude or stupid behavior, why have they the right to do this? Because there the ones who pick up the rubbish in the car park that other surfers have dropped after they have been for a surf, there the ones putting in the work behind the scenes stopping development at your favorite beach down the coast and locals are the majority of the users of that break, so it's majority rules.

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Friday, 18 Mar 2011 at 11:21pm
"batfink_and_karate" wrote:
"evo62" wrote:

By: "shaun"

No offence mate but you seem to be contradicting yourself, you start off by pointing out that no one has ownership of the beach, but then state that someone who throws there board should be banned from the beach for a week, who would enforce this ban as no one has ownership so no one has the right to tell anyone else what they can and can't do.
Where I live the locals will give you a hard time if display rude or stupid behavior, why have they the right to do this? Because they're the ones who pick up the rubbish in the car park that other surfers have dropped after they have been for a surf, there the ones putting in the work behind the scenes stopping development at your favorite beach down the coast and locals are the majority of the users of that break, so it's majority rules.