Future Fins Removal

jesus's picture
jesus started the topic in Thursday, 7 Oct 2010 at 6:17am

Hi, I havn't removed my futres for over a year and they are jammed in. No amount of elbow grease will budge them. Im guessing sand and salt is the problem. I just purchased a new stick and need them, however I dont want to damage old faithfull.
Any suggestions on safe removal???

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Thursday, 7 Oct 2010 at 6:56am

Hmm, maybe fill a trough or bath full of hot water and then stick it in there. Hopefully that will make some of the salt dissolve and lossen them up.

jesus's picture
jesus's picture
jesus Friday, 8 Oct 2010 at 12:25am

Tried submerging the fins in the bath with warm water and detergent, left it overnight, and they still will not move. looks like i'll have to buy another set.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Friday, 8 Oct 2010 at 12:02pm

Try WD40 or that Loctite spray.

Soak it in the stuff, go and have a cuppa or a beer and see how you go when you come back.

Good luck.

brendo's picture
brendo's picture
brendo Sunday, 10 Oct 2010 at 7:46am

i'd stay away from tha harsh stuff like wd40 etc.. might ruin your board. You can get Salt Away from boat/marine shops, they use it all the time for stuck sail zippers etc... should dissolve the salt and not be too toxic to your board hopefully.

jesus's picture
jesus's picture
jesus Monday, 11 Oct 2010 at 7:28am

All sorted. While still attached to the board, I put each fin in a bench vice with high density foam on each side and used the length of the board as a lever.
Sand was the problem rather than salt. There was tones in and arround each fin, which was a little suppriseing because they are such a snug fit in the plugs. Moral of the story - remove your futers every couple of weeks, not years.

Thanks for the replies anyway.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Monday, 11 Oct 2010 at 8:46am

Been using the board to sand board?? :P

jesus's picture
jesus's picture
jesus Wednesday, 13 Oct 2010 at 12:57am

haha no. One flogging too many in sandy barrels I suspect.