Will ever Indonesia become a competition surf power?

albcesarx's picture
albcesarx started the topic in Wednesday, 22 Sep 2010 at 6:45am

I was wondering, Indo has the best waves in the world some really good surfers now days, how come they never do go in competitions?

seal's picture
seal's picture
seal Wednesday, 22 Sep 2010 at 10:50am

There have been a few Indo surfers that have had a bit of a go at the pro circuit but most times they don't like to travel too far from home, don't like the colder water and wearing wetsuits,can't come to terms with surfing shit waves and really don't have the backing that surfers from other countries do. They are trying to get a few of the juniors geared up for a crack at the tour but they are also struggling with the travel and shit waves from what I've seen at a few of the junior comps where they have competed.Going from surfing perfect waves with power to onshore gutless shit tends to frustrate even the most hardcore Indo surfer who then they get disheartened and homesick especially if they are not getting through many heats.
There are some seriously talented surfers in Indo who could push most of the pros on tour in the right conditions and hopefully one day there will be someone who can have a real dig at the CT but I'm not sure how long that will be and whether they will be competetive for a long period of time.

betinho1974's picture
betinho1974's picture
betinho1974 Thursday, 23 Sep 2010 at 7:18am

Yes i think so, but it take some years and a mentality change specially the Balinese surfers, they don`t wanna travel, well it`s hard to blame them anyway!!!! But when you see how the level of ISC is growing, gotta wonder when they will get the super power status.
Oney Anwar just won and pro junior contest in Australia and also Garut has talent to do it, by the way check this interview with him for an Indo website(in english) http://www.indosurflife.com/surfnews/219-interview-made-qgarutq-widiarta...