Sunscreen could be giving us skin cancer

radbone08's picture
radbone08 started the topic in Friday, 27 Aug 2010 at 12:45am

just want to hear your thoughts on this article, on sunscreen giving us skin cancer??

www.surfermag.com/features/onlineexclusives/is_your_sunscreen_preventing...

bombora's picture
bombora's picture
bombora Friday, 27 Aug 2010 at 4:23am

NOw you've done it.
Over to Roy.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Friday, 27 Aug 2010 at 4:44am

^^ Hahaha. Here we go..

benski's picture
benski's picture
benski Friday, 27 Aug 2010 at 4:51am

Isn't it obvious?

sunscreen stops you getting skin cancer right? Wonderful, awesome product. But think for a second, who do you think has the most to lose out of that? No one, I hear you say, we all win.

WRONG!

Every person who doesn't get skin cancer represents a swag load of dollars lost to the medical cartels that sell cancer drugs. Do you think they'll be happy about that? Not on your sun drenched life.

It doesn't take much looking around to think that some of the largest sunscreen companies are tied up with the cancer drug companies. So of course they'll put some ingredients that will cause cancer...then they get your money twice.

The scariest part is that the principal share holders of these drug companies may or may not be evil surf company executives. Why else would they make boardies more comfortable, if not to keep you in the sun for longer??? It all makes sense if you think about it.

I stopped wearing sunscreen years ago and there's nothing wrong with me.

This post may or may not be a pisstake.

radbone08's picture
radbone08's picture
radbone08 Friday, 27 Aug 2010 at 4:52am

Bombora Says
NOw you've done it.
Over to Roy.

What do you mean

radbone08's picture
radbone08's picture
radbone08 Friday, 27 Aug 2010 at 4:55am

that is scary benski

ed's picture
ed's picture
ed Friday, 27 Aug 2010 at 7:02am

To think that The Skin Cancer Foundation would allow an ingredient that they know causes cancer to be in any of the products they recommend is pretty far-fetched

nope's picture
nope's picture
nope Friday, 27 Aug 2010 at 11:48am

i did see a few scientists on the telly who were amazed at how blind we all are putting most these creams on out skin. inc. moisterisers etc.

and another, i think it was catalist on the abc. talking about the nano particals in sunscreen.

the skin absorbs these creams into it meaning its in your blood. and their point was ´would you eat the things you put on your skin?´

it is scary to think about but obviously true.

even scarier was the catalist thing on sun creams and nano shit. nano particals go right through your body into organs and well, everywhere!

its seems weird but i wouldnt put anything past the money making machine.

i use suncream but know too older, very straight thinking, non surfing, blokes that are off it and a mate, all unkown to each other, say they didnt like the idea of putting chemicals on their skin.

bombora's picture
bombora's picture
bombora Saturday, 28 Aug 2010 at 2:28am

Bombora Says
NOw you've done it.
Over to Roy.

What do you mean

By: "radbone08"

Check this thread out.
http://forum.realsurf.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=17110
Roy comes in from post#2.

Personally I'll continue to use sunscreen when I'm surfing during the day, regardless of Roy's "expert" advice.
I takes me chances on the dawn patrol.

benski's picture
benski's picture
benski Saturday, 28 Aug 2010 at 10:19am

Fair dinkum, that roystewart peddling some of that crap in that thread, it's downright irresponsible.

Here's the thing. Science is not infallible. It's nothing more than a method of enquiry to reach answers to important questions. However, it is the most systematic method of enquiry we have for answering questions about thinky stuff like the laws of physics and everything that flows on from them. The current state of science tells us that too much sun will give you cancer and the best way to stop that is to cover up, say with sunscreen, when you're out in the sun.

Everyone should use sunscreen. It's insane not to. If you're worried about nano particles and chemicals then use a chemical free sunscreen, there are a few around. I think you get em in health food shops. To suggest that you don't get skin cancer from the sun is like saying smoking doesn't cause lung cancer. Not every smoker gets it, but if you're suckin on a few durries every day you're deadset more likely to get lung cancer than I am. Not all of us will get skin cancer, but we're more likely to than computer geeks who sleep during the day.

pablo's picture
pablo's picture
pablo Saturday, 28 Aug 2010 at 10:52am

Geeks face more risk than you think cause when they do venture out into sunlight they get deep tissue burns wich are the main causes of skin cancer. Maintain a tan without getting burnt is the go, althought not always possible.

roystewart's picture
roystewart's picture
roystewart Saturday, 28 Aug 2010 at 9:18pm

Fair dinkum, that roystewart peddling some of that crap in that thread, it's downright irresponsible.

By: "benski"

Most fatal skin cancers occur on parts of the body which see little or no sun.

'Science' is up to its eyeballs in corporate funded lies.

There's a global epidemic of vitamin D deficienct caused by fear of the sun.

spongebob's picture
spongebob's picture
spongebob Saturday, 28 Aug 2010 at 11:13pm

So if science & big business is out to kill us why are people in developed nations,the main consumers of all this stuff living longer than ever before?It's just bad business to kill your customers,better to keep them alive & consuming.

benski's picture
benski's picture
benski Sunday, 29 Aug 2010 at 12:11am

Like I said, roy, irresponsible. I'm not interested in arguing with you about this so you can hijack a thread.

To address the original question radbone, while looking around I found a paper in the American Journal of Public Health from 2002, "Use of Topical Sunscreens and the Risk of Malignant Melanoma: A Meta-Analysis of 9067 Patients From 11 Case–Control Studies" Maybe a little out of date, but it's conclusion?

"The available epidemiological data do not support the existence of a relationship between topical sunscreen use and an increased risk of cutaneous malignant melanoma"

Check it out at: http://ajph.aphapublications.org/cgi/content/abstract/92/7/1173

Suffice to say, scientific evidence suggests that reducing your sun exposure via sunscreen will reduce the risk of skin cancer. If anyone is interested, simply type in "melanoma cause review" at www.scholar.google.com to see journal artciles describing it. If you can't be bothered, look at the Cancer Council of Aust website.

If you think these research bodies and NGOs are out to kill you from lack of vit D or just chasing more dollars because they are giant money making machines, then consider the fact that the "science" roy says is corrupt also brought you the findings about the very real importance of vit D that he happily espouses. Also, consider that there are much more straightforward ways to make some coin than fabricating scientific studies and results. Like starting a surf company.

So have a look around yourself but I would suggest when looking at these sorts of questions, stick with scholar.google.com to get scientific studies rather than just ordinary google.com to get websites and blogs that have not been peer reviewed.

seal's picture
seal's picture
seal Sunday, 29 Aug 2010 at 1:59am

Here's my thoughts on the matter.
Sunscreens do the job but we think that by useing them we can stay longer in the sun with no more sun burn. How many of us put the stuff on and surf for a few hours feel ourselves burn but say "it's cool I've got sunscreen on so I'll stay out a bit longer". Or we forget to put it on in the mad rush to get out there and because we've been wearing sunscreen for so long and the skin is not as tolerant to the sun,we get pretty badly sun burnt. You keep doing these two things for a good few years and presto we start to cop a few skin cancers but we say "how could this happen? I use sunscreen". Its not in my opinion the product but our reliance on it to be our saviour and then us not useing it properly that does the damage and the fact that quite alot of us work during the week and only get out on weekends or holidays then spend longer time in the sun than we should in shorter time frames. How many of us get burnt on the weekend, peel on about wednesday then do it all again on the next weekend only to repeat the routine but still think we are safe cause we put on the sunscreen.
The only answer I can see is to spend less time in the sun if your not used to it or be more dillegent in covering up or applying the sunscreen.

roystewart's picture
roystewart's picture
roystewart Friday, 3 Sep 2010 at 8:39am

It would be irresponsible of me not to tell you the truth, even if you don't like it.

You are being lied to, it's as simple as that.

You are also lying to yourselves.

jaffa1949's picture
jaffa1949's picture
jaffa1949 Friday, 3 Sep 2010 at 12:01pm

It would be irresponsible of me not to tell you the truth, even if you don't like it.

You are being lied to, it's as simple as that.

You are also lying to yourselves.

By: "roystewart"

Guys you've hooked him.
You were warned.
Now play the fish