Confidential surf spots on Swellnet

thegooch's picture
thegooch started the topic in Sunday, 8 Aug 2010 at 10:22pm

I think its funny how the write up of some of the swellnet sessions dont contain any mention of where the surf spot is, or deliberately dont mention the name of the spot or town. Yet if you check out the name of the photos, they quite often will be labeled with the name of the spot, like in the current feature, where photos are tagged as , XXXX_1 ect..
.. . .
this is what i found in the source code:

"http://assets.swellnet.com.au/attachments/26051/large/XXXX_3.jpg?1281046891

Thanks Swellnet , me and 10 of my friends are going to be a XXXX next weekend to surf that sick breakwall. I didnt' know XXXX had such a sick setup !!!!

Cheers

PS. Sorry local XXXX lads , but, not my fault........

(edited by Swellnet to remove location name)

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Sunday, 8 Aug 2010 at 10:52pm

thegooch, as you've pointed out, we go to great lengths not to name locations at sensitive spots.

Most photographers have their own naming conventions, that they use when they work on their images at home, and a common way to do this is to include the name of the beach (maybe with a date as well, or the surfer's name too).

Unfortunately, our database retains the photographer's image name property (and doesn't rewrite a new one), which means that it's freely available to see on the site. Thanks for alerting us to this - we'll put in a fix ASAP which will create a random file name for each image file name.

benski's picture
benski's picture
benski Sunday, 8 Aug 2010 at 11:24pm

You've made your point thegooch now please edit your post to delete the location because the next ten guys who just read your post and show up will be your fault!

Do it for the rest of us.

top-to-bottom-bells's picture
top-to-bottom-bells's picture
top-to-bottom-bells Sunday, 8 Aug 2010 at 11:33pm

PS. Sorry local **** lads , but, not my fault........

By: "thegooch"

Of course it's your fault dickhead. I quiet email to swellnet would've fixed it. You're just looking for attention.

donweather's picture
donweather's picture
donweather Monday, 9 Aug 2010 at 2:59am

And of course no one would guess the location from the photos either....I mean seriously guys, it's hardly a secret spot.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Monday, 9 Aug 2010 at 3:27am

Hardly a secret spot but there are plenty of breakwall locations along the NSW coast.
No need to name it.
It's a spot that is extremely sensitive to hype due to it's proximity to SEQLD.

benski's picture
benski's picture
benski Monday, 9 Aug 2010 at 3:46am

Exactly right freeride.

Thanks for the edit thermalben. top-to-bottom-bells fix yours would ya?

Edit.
Nice one, cheers.

donweather's picture
donweather's picture
donweather Monday, 9 Aug 2010 at 9:52am

Hardly a secret spot but there are plenty of breakwall locations along the NSW coast.
No need to name it.

By: "freeride76"

Well you may as well have named it. Practically given away the location IMO.

rubber-bob's picture
rubber-bob's picture
rubber-bob Monday, 9 Aug 2010 at 11:31am

Hey all you secret locals: Here is my plan ... I have an aeroplane ... whenever there is a swell on I fly the coast. I see where you surf, I mark it with a GPS then wander in and take pictures with a neat little mini camera. Soon I will release a book titled: "Secret Surf Spots and Where They Are", it will be in all the surf shops. Good idea aye? Hopefully it will make the busy spots a little less crowded. You guys seem to have plenty of room to share ...

radbone08's picture
radbone08's picture
radbone08 Monday, 9 Aug 2010 at 11:55pm

ha your a dick

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Tuesday, 10 Aug 2010 at 12:16am
"freeride76" wrote:

No need to name it.

By: "donweather"

Well you may as well have named it. Practically given away the location IMO.

Not sure why you would say that Don.
There are numerous breakwalls in NENSW in close proximity to SEQLD, all of which on their day have excellent surf, and all of which are susceptible to overcrowding.
Why name the spot?
It serves no purpose.
Not sure exactly what your argument is : are you saying every spot with a good sandbank should be openly named in public discourse, just because they aren't "secret spots"?
Quite well known spots can sometimes fly under the radar and offer some solace from the madness of SEQLD crowds.
IMO that should be supported.

donweather's picture
donweather's picture
donweather Tuesday, 10 Aug 2010 at 2:26am

Steve, don't get me wrong, I'm all for not advertising locations. It's just that some of the comments made on this thread have gone very close to providing some reasonably good clues as to the exact location.....also taking into consideration the wording that was included on the swellnet article above the photos. Kinda limits options considerably IMO....but don't worry, I won't be naming the location......just surprised that everyone is so precious about it, considering most reasonable surfers would guess it's location with their eyes closed. Just my 2 cents worth Steve.

wax-on-danielson's picture
wax-on-danielson's picture
wax-on-danielson Tuesday, 10 Aug 2010 at 2:32am

most beach breaks south of the border are generally fickle except for the well known ones. and what might be good one day can be crap the next. espcially if it faces str8 east and is reliant on banks.
unless you're in the know you probably won't be there when it's on anyway.

localsonly's picture
localsonly's picture
localsonly Monday, 23 Aug 2010 at 9:11am

yous are losers who cares

dan-burke's picture
dan-burke's picture
dan-burke Thursday, 16 Sep 2010 at 4:04am

I'm from gero and the SWELLNET guy here - LEON with the Gath. Has competition interests and direct interests in a particular popular local surf shop. He always photographs and names my local break, a break which is very fickle and off the main road. He also names other locally known breaks, secret spots etc, why does he need to do this? Please make him stop referring to breaks directly. I'm off it. Specific Local knowledge should remain word of mouth, and earnt the normal human way - by talking with our fellow surfers (or at worst, text). Maybe I'm being nostalgic? Cheers.