anyone else?

alva's picture
alva started the topic in Wednesday, 21 Jul 2010 at 12:25am

know what i mean when i say i get real bad acid reflux in the surf when i go for an early and its normally that mornings breaky..anyone else got an idea of what too eat with my coffee?

pablo's picture
pablo's picture
pablo Wednesday, 21 Jul 2010 at 4:05am

Eat a big dinner,skip brekky till after your surf.If you can,t do it,then avoid acid producing cereals such as weeties and grain,s (bread) and drinks such as coffee.Try some fruit if you have to.If you can,t do any of the above give your food time to digest before you paddle out,ie 1/2-1 hr.

benski's picture
benski's picture
benski Wednesday, 21 Jul 2010 at 4:21am

Coffee aint good for that, basically it can affect the ability of your lower esophageal sphincter (LES) to close, which can lead to acid reflux. Here's a paper about it from the journal, Diseases of the Esophagus

The last sentence of the abstract tells it straight:

This study indicated that caffeine 3.5 mg/kg affected esophageal function, resulting in a decrease in basal LES pressure and distal esophageal contraction, which is known to promote the reflux of gastric contents up into the esophagus.

So skip the coffee and as pablo says, avoid the acidic foods for brekkie.

patty's picture
patty's picture
patty Wednesday, 21 Jul 2010 at 7:20am

I eat coconut flavoured wax with my coffee. You should give that a go Alva.

brian-wu's picture
brian-wu's picture
brian-wu Wednesday, 21 Jul 2010 at 11:47am

Unnecessary statement about eating something....

pepe's picture
pepe's picture
pepe Wednesday, 21 Jul 2010 at 12:58pm

I found an Uncle Toby's bar keeps me going and I can still have a double expresso beforehand. Having nothing reduces energy after a couple of hours - that, the cold and being an old git now ...

pablo's picture
pablo's picture
pablo Thursday, 22 Jul 2010 at 12:26am

Now we know what brian has,(hope he does,nt choke!).

brendo's picture
brendo's picture
brendo Thursday, 22 Jul 2010 at 12:43am

Now we know what brian has,(hope he does,nt choke!).

By: "pablo"

LOL.

I can't eat early in the AM, no coffee either. Always tastes great after a surf though ! Just trying to sneak out the door without waking the munchkins is hard enough.

alva's picture
alva's picture
alva Thursday, 22 Jul 2010 at 8:24am

hahah pablo..yeah brian your just giving you and your bum buddies an even worse name mate just dont bother...
but yeah, it sucks getting so hungry out in the surf when tis pumping and having to go get a feed only to come back and the wind has gotten into it or the tides changed..
oh well cheers anyway, il just brave burping up my breakie for a few more hours of energy haha.

phani-tickler's picture
phani-tickler's picture
phani-tickler Thursday, 22 Jul 2010 at 11:22am

Hey Patty, I like the idea of coconut and wax. How we get together sometime.

ftl's picture
ftl's picture
ftl Friday, 23 Jul 2010 at 1:22am

yeah, from experience I can confirm some of the stuff posted here -
if you have a breakfast just before leaving for a surf, and generally if you walk there rather than go in the car, you will get that bad feeling in your throat/chest which you are talking about.
I find weet-bix are the worst for causing it if that helps.

pablo's picture
pablo's picture
pablo Friday, 23 Jul 2010 at 3:05am

Carefull, Patty might wax your legs and shove a coconut up your arse !

brian-wu's picture
brian-wu's picture
brian-wu Friday, 23 Jul 2010 at 11:03am

I finally understand this thread. To summarize;

[removed]

yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer Friday, 23 Jul 2010 at 11:50am

i love reading your comments on here brian. its so obvious you have issues with your sexuality. your constant references to gay sex are an obvious sign. maybe some frustration with your ability to catch waves amongst other surfers/boogers. but dont worry get some counselling and you will learn to accept your shortcomings. in the mean time keep it up. we are all pissing ourselves with laughter at you comments:)

phani-tickler's picture
phani-tickler's picture
phani-tickler Friday, 23 Jul 2010 at 10:36pm

It is a risk I am willing to take.

jaffa1949's picture
jaffa1949's picture
jaffa1949 Sunday, 25 Jul 2010 at 7:56am

Coffee is a big cause of gastric reflux, instant coffee is worse, reflux can be a major health issue, but interestingly enough if you drink coffee like some of the native ways which is coffee followed or accompanied by a glass of water the acid reflux is lessened.
I have noticed the weetbix reflux too.

The Wu is getting boring on every subject, no amount of coffee would make him digestible!

jaffa1949's picture
jaffa1949's picture
jaffa1949 Sunday, 25 Jul 2010 at 7:59am

Carefull, Patty might wax your legs and shove a coconut up your arse !

By: "pablo"

Guess that who ever this is aimed at, would then have a slight idea of what it's like to give birth.