Bali board quiver

pblewis's picture
pblewis started the topic in Tuesday, 25 Mar 2014 at 11:23am

Hi,

I'm heading to Bali for first time for 2.5 week holiday, and curious as to what other people would ride over there. I'm an intermediate surfer, 75kg and my go to board is 5ft 11" x 19", ive riden this at 4-5ft noosa point, and 4-6ft beachies around the area, i guess that's the peak conditions of my comfort zone. I'll be surfing by my self most the trip also, so def wont be going to far out of my comfort zone.

I also own a 6'4" x 2-5/8 parko model JS round tail, that i dont ride that often, (cause we just dont get the waves here to suit). If i could only take 1 board, would it be better taking the 6'4" or my usual shortboard (even though i'm way more familiar with it)?

Also is it a hassle travelling around Bali with 2 boards? If im moving around every few days to different locations

cheers

blink23's picture
blink23's picture
blink23 Tuesday, 25 Mar 2014 at 3:45pm

Hey, i would recommend bring both, i always bring two and its not a big deal getting around with two boards i just squeeze them into my board racks on my scooter and if your not going to ride a scooter then the balinese drivers will just load them into there vans no probs at all.

I was over there a few weeks ago and i mainly rode my 5'8 even in some pretty solid conditions, but one of the days it was a bit big for it so rode my step up board, i only used it once but it was good to have.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Tuesday, 25 Mar 2014 at 4:45pm

Pretty sure Garuda now offer a 23kg sports allowance on top of your 20kg baggage allowance.

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Tuesday, 25 Mar 2014 at 5:22pm

How are you Udo, been getting waves down that ways....?
:)
I seen some interesting footprints last week end down Ulla's and my mate seen something pretty weird early that morning walking along the beach.

I'm still researching it at the mo.

pblewis's picture
pblewis's picture
pblewis Tuesday, 25 Mar 2014 at 5:30pm

cheers blink23, good to know it's not too much hassle having 2 boards (even if only use one the whole time) the bag i've got should fit 2 in easily.

Udo - I wont be taking any other luggage, just chucking most my stuff in the board bag and a very small back pack, so weight wont be an issue, will be under 20kg. cheers

ive been getting alot of mixed opinions, saying taking nothing less then a 6'10 but these people weigh 90kg and are 6ft plus tall, so trying to gauge in on what will be good for me in the types of waves over there.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 25 Mar 2014 at 8:15pm

G'day pblewis
Plenty of boards here as everyone would probably have told you. Hundreds of boards, old, new, high performance , hybrid fish, mals... Anything you fancy is here and the same price or cheaper than Oz. Mostly within walking distance around Kuta.
But if you are happy with what you have , they sound fine. Easy enough to pick up something bigger if you need it.
Two boards is too easy, I usually cart three around which can be a headache sometimes, but like you and your shorty , I am nicely familiar with them all which can give a welcome boost to your confidence if your surfing new and possibly challenging waves in a foreign environment and personally I find confidence can be the deciding factor most times.
At risk of sounding like a guest starring customs arrival on Border Patrol, if and when you get asked how many boards your carrying , lie. If caught blame the language barrier and smile like a retard.
I've got that bit down to a fine art according to my missus.
Have fun and get some good ones mate

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Tuesday, 25 Mar 2014 at 9:14pm

Yeah totally agree with the previous comments take both boards, two boards is good and both boards should be abe to cover a range of conditions plus its always good to take the boards you like and know, and then build on your quiver from there for bigger hollower stuff.

Personally with two boards i prefer the slim fit style board covers, creatures of leisure make a good one, gives protection but still very light and easy to carry around.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Wednesday, 26 Mar 2014 at 9:03am

All depends on what waves you will be surfing.
If you don't intend to surf Outsider Corner, Impossos or Big Balangan then the two boards you have will work fine for everything you intend to ride.

pblewis's picture
pblewis's picture
pblewis Wednesday, 26 Mar 2014 at 11:02am

cheers for the feedback guys, will definately be taking both boards now knowing everything you guys have mentioned. cheers