aldinga/port willunga

blktgr74's picture
blktgr74 started the topic in Monday, 24 Mar 2014 at 3:40pm

Do you ever get waves at either of these places?
I know that Seaford is 10mins up the road and victor is 30mins the other way.
Maybe a stormy? Anyway thanks

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Monday, 24 Mar 2014 at 4:21pm

Port Willies is fun in a stormy. Aldinga Beach doesn't really have any surf unless you're learning (straight, flat banks - hence why they let cars drive on it!). There's a few reefs in the area that are good on their day but they get pretty crowded.

blktgr74's picture
blktgr74's picture
blktgr74 Monday, 24 Mar 2014 at 5:10pm

I noticed on the weekend that seaford had 1ft waves and yet aldinga was just about flat. Does it need a ture westerly swell to reach in there? Some of those reefs looked like they had a good shape for waves. High tide and swell, I thought they might be ok.
The reason for the questions is that I plan to move down there soon and it would be nice to walk to the beach for a wave even if its only a dozen times a year.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Monday, 24 Mar 2014 at 5:37pm

Yeah it's always a lot smaller there. Swell direction doesn't really play a part, it's just smaller because it's slightly outside of the primary swell window (which is mainly Maslins to Christies).

upnorth's picture
upnorth's picture
upnorth Monday, 24 Mar 2014 at 7:38pm

Blktgr74 you'll get some good days on the mid certainly a dozen times a year, probably further north than Aldinga if your after a walk to the waves. But generally it's a drive down south for a few more options. Reckon SA surfers must clock up more miles than most.