Storm Surfers Video Series is BORING

opinion's picture
opinion started the topic in Thursday, 15 Jul 2010 at 3:05am

In response to the 'Storm surfers wipe out clip'

I thought it was worth putting it out there that the storm surfers series running on swellnet is a bit boring. The surfers were big names in the past but I think they have lost their skill and big wave surfing is now on a completely new level. They shouldn't be paid to travel around surfing big wave spots badly and even waves that aren't that heavy.

I think perhaps they should be pushed aside and allow for the new generation of big wave ridders who are surfing better, bigger, and heavier spots to come up. Some how they are the ones struggling to make ends meets, but then also doing a better job without the helicopters and endless budgets - go figure?

Surfers like Marti Paradisis and bodyboarder Ewan Donnachie are two examples of guys pushing limits and have the skills and ability to out ride any of the guys.

Compare any of the Bra Boys, Tassie crew and bodyboarders footage and you will understand my point....

What do people think?

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Thursday, 15 Jul 2010 at 3:39am

You're missing the point of the videos. They're outtakes (or microdocs) from the main feature, which premiered last night on Discovery Channel. There was so much unused footage from all of the the trips that it was decided to use them as promo for the movie rather than leaving them on the cutting room floor.

yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer Thursday, 15 Jul 2010 at 5:55am

i thought storm surfers last night was awesome! A fly on the wall look at the time and effort that goes into chasing huge waves. the weather does'nt always cooperate-thats part of it! i think tom and ross can hold they're own in the big stuff and the photography is first class! this stuff is for mainstream consumption and even if you dont surf you can get a feel for what these guys are doing! maybe they will score big time on the next trip and silence the knockers who have probably never surfed a wave over 6 to 8 foot!

alva's picture
alva's picture
alva Thursday, 15 Jul 2010 at 1:04pm

i know what you mean opinion man..i mean watching footage of the young blokes towing into chopes blows my mind every time i watch it and supers, cyclopes, jaws etc. but i watched it on discovery last night and it wasnt that epic, but the respect i have for tom charging a solid wave in 3 degree water with hail and howling winds? uncomprehandable. i think they should just open their window of swell a little scored somewhere remote you know?

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Thursday, 15 Jul 2010 at 8:10pm

alva, it's a logistical nightmare to 'open the swell window' for a production like this. It's not just Tom and Ross traveling around with one cameraman - the equipment and personnel required to produce Storm Surfers is enormous, which can really only be effectively deployed for a single region at a time. Additionally, in order to build a story line, its preferable to focus on one location so that there is enough backstory to make for a full hour of viewing. The Storm Surfers series is more about the mechanics of sourcing, tracking and getting to big waves, rather than just riding them.

And, it's a shame that the ocean didn't cooperate like we hoped it would. But - that's reality. We had a three month waiting period (Sep/Oct/Nov) to get the show done (so, that's around fifteen people on standby for ninety days), and we assumed that there'd be at least one large swell at NZ's South Island during this time. It just didn't happen - this part of the swell window went quiet for three months. We had no choice but to scramble to a brand new spot that we'd never reccy'd or researched, in the last few days of our three month waiting period. Without this we wouldn't have been able to finish the show.

The good news is that we've got a whole stack of new locations up our sleeves that we'll tackle for the next documentary, including Storm Surfers 3D (which we're shooting a pilot for over the coming months). There's a lot of unexplored coastline out there with a lot of new big wave locations to be ridden.

alva's picture
alva's picture
alva Friday, 16 Jul 2010 at 12:30am

you say that ben, but like old mate said before..it looks like theres a solid budget behind this doco because of all the crystal clear HD footage and what not. But my point is what about all the awesome footage people score at other places aroudn the worl? i mean yes they would have a much bigger waiting period. but its a big planet. anyway ill get off your case man, its all a big learning curve..
by the way im not saying i didnt like it just all the build up and what not was sick,but was kind of an anti climax you know what im saying?

brian-wu's picture
brian-wu's picture
brian-wu Friday, 16 Jul 2010 at 12:36am

can i add that the SNOWTOW video is the gayest thing i have ever seen!

opinion's picture
opinion's picture
opinion Friday, 16 Jul 2010 at 1:14pm

I understand what your saying Ben. My concern isn't about the production, story or the concept. I think they are all really good ideas. My issue comes from the two selected riders and waves surfed..

You pointed out the level of production required is enormous but I can only imagine the available budget.
Wouldn't that allow for:
- 6 - 8 riders.. To maximize your investment in film crews and helicopters. Rather than focusing on single wave of a set?
- the ability to be more selective of spots globally, australia often has world class big wave spots breaking monthly if you know where to go..

Riders:
When I think about adventure sports, big wave surfing, extreme sports, skating, surfing, bodyboarding, snowboarding, etc. I think of young cool guys and girls pushing limits and going for it. I think perhaps your selection of riders doesn't appeal to your target audience which is predominately young.. Or at a minimum you could have a blend of young and old..

Waves:
Big wave surfing appreciation has moved past face heights (EG: the 30ft Face). Big waves spots are about heavy spots, with water behind them and strength. To often are we seeing surfers being towed into large faced fat bombies. Everyone knows that a 10 - 15ft doubling up 'below sea level' reef that sounds like a jet is heavier and more exciting to watch than a slow motion 20 - 30ft outer bombie.

The combination of the riders and waves is what makes the series questionable and I honestly think that the surfers on the series would not even board a plane to any of the reefs on the southern tips of Australia when they are breaking at full strength. And thats why they shouldn't be selected and be paid buckets. What about the younger guys ripping? Who would you rather give a pay cheque too; an old guy who already has money and can't surf 110% or a cheque to a younger guy doing a better job risking all and driving a 90's rusty shit box car to save for his next plane ticket or ski fuel?

top-to-bottom-bells's picture
top-to-bottom-bells's picture
top-to-bottom-bells Friday, 16 Jul 2010 at 9:36pm

Everyone knows that a 10 - 15ft doubling up 'below sea level' reef that sounds like a jet is heavier and more exciting to watch than a slow motion 20 - 30ft outer bombie.

By: "opinion"

Correction: Every surfer knows that. When it comes to non-surfers (who the movie is directed at) it's all about the height. And anyway, speak for yourself, I've seen twenty movies of Shippies and ten of the Right just this year. Every time they break Tim Bonython and cohorts are all over it. I want to see somewhere I haven't seen before.

thebowl's picture
thebowl's picture
thebowl Friday, 16 Jul 2010 at 9:56pm

This is an interesting post - looking at all of the evidence, one has to come to the conclusion that there are far better exponents of big wave surfig than TC and RCJ, and they are surfing way heavier waves than them.
Storms is a 100% commercial venture and the backers are going to want their dollars returned - expect hyped advertising.......in the end its up to the viewer and the consumer. Is this stuff going to drive you to BUY the associated product???? I'm thinking that very few young surfers will associate with whats on offer here and the venture may have given the two surfers a last few days in the sun but little more.
There are clearly better surfers getting into more critical situations than the Storm Surfers (the Hollmer-Cross brothers and Paradisis for example) but they are travelling rusty car to a range of waves - other than Ships - and only sometimes documenting their efforts. Their photographers are mates who are part timers.
It's therefore an industry decision regarding who the companies want to back.......

yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer Friday, 16 Jul 2010 at 11:58pm

Its a good subject to discuss- where is big wave surfing going, and where has it come from? Tom and Ross dominated the big wave scene in the 80's& 90's. This was by paddling into the most extreme waves on hawaii's north shore. The question is does this take more balls and skill than towing into slabs? Shows like Storm Surfers are made to appeal to a broader audience than teenage frothers. Tom and Ross have the reputations and character to pull off a show like this.

alva's picture
alva's picture
alva Saturday, 17 Jul 2010 at 5:10am

very valid point. its directed at people who are interested in surfing not so much surfing..if you wanted to see sick footage fuck off tv and buy a dvd.